Is Anthony Joshua Unknown In The USA?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by since93sports, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Power_tek

Power_tek Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    I clicked like there, because i agree not because i like the comment; its a truth that actually makes me sad...

de Morhalle and CST80 like this.
  2. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Mate, I'm being 100% serious. A week or so ago, Eubank was 50/1 and AJ was 66/1. I was on looking at Tyson Fury's odds. Since then they both dropped to 100/1 which is normal come closer the award show.

My eyes were not deceiving me. I'm not getting them mixed up. I've not misread. Those were the odds. Obv none of them are going to win but still mad.

*edit* this was from the odds checker website so they take all the odds from all gambling websites.

3. Power_tek

Sep 22, 2018
    Ok so thats basically the same odds checker isnt a bookmaker and also it isnt acurate, btw i waznt saying you were lying. I just come across as a know it all when i type i cant help it lol. But if you go on oddschecker then go to the site the odds are way out.

4. Power_tek

Sep 22, 2018
    Lets push the agenda and start a petition to have a heavyweight wbss?

since93sports and CST80 like this.
  5. GGGunbeatable

GGGunbeatable Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    No way this is going to happen!! Privileged antifascists destroyed whole neighbourhoods in the US after Trump won and no one dared to pull their weapons, despite acting tough online before and saying European football riots would never be possible in the US.

Now imagine a giant like Joshua bumping into anyone in the US. This would be like:

This content is protected

As I said before, AJ is the most intimidating boxer since Sonny Liston if he's getting angry.
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threa...n-more-intimidating-than-sonny-liston.604578/

6. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    No one really knows him here outside of boxing fans. If people saw him walking down the street here they would think he was a NBA or NFL player way before they would say boxer.

Bustajay likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    That's so true I can feel your tone from screen.

I'll cosign. Nobody in America gives a flying **** about boxing!!

greenhornet, CST80 and Bustajay like this.
  8. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    60k sounds about right if Wilder fights e.g. Ortiz rematch. He's simply not a draw at all.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. Mr Icaman

Mr Icaman 32-0 WBC Champ, Ring + Lineal HW Champ Full Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Really who cares, the US is a irrelevant market these days for heavyweight boxing..

2 of the top 3 HW boxers only drew 350k buys and it seems that this is the best in the American market since 2005?? That fight involved Mike Tyson which was the last time HW boxing was relevant in the US..

I'm sure many football stars from Europe could walk around the US as well and they are doing fine..

FYI their are 741 million people in Europe...

Just shows you why AJ won't be fight Wilder in the US not to mention the "fair" result he would get lol...

10. marting

marting Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    He's not even on the radar with the bigwigs on Madison Avenue. I'm not aware of Joshua doing any US product endorsements.

Hardcore boxing fans know of him. Casuals..... a handful know his name. The rest of country.... they can name more NASCAR drivers, golfers, and skateboarders than boxers.

11. GGGunbeatable

GGGunbeatable Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Most football stars are even fine in Europe. I saw several decent but not popular stars in the supermarket or the street, no one recognized them. There are just too many of them.

Ronaldo on the other hand can't even walk in the US without people freaking out. One guy even invaded the pitch in Miami if I remember to hug Ronaldo.

He is even a bigger star in the US than Floyd.

12. daverobin

daverobin Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2015
    stop trolling .....pretty sick question

13. rapscalion

rapscalion Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 7, 2010
    No one knows who he is besides boxing fans

14. Guybino

Guybino Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 6, 2011
    'Global' means more than just America btw

15. de Morhalle

de Morhalle Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2018
    You made some quality points I did not know there .

I just hoped that this fight would of done better viewing to help the growth of boxing , I'm a AJ fan but kinda feel pretty sorry for Wilder and US boxing fans. General public of the US doesn't seem interested much in boxing, which if you asked any American 20 years ago they would of thought that an impossibility. I'm British and I just thought that the US was in a temporary slouch for boxing and would soon enough spring to life.

I'm just worried that because the fight did poorly in terms of views that interest from the US in boxing will completely fade and boxing becomes some obscure sport along with curling. Kinda makes the interest in boxers wanting to have big fights in the US redundant.

I still think New York or Atlanta or even somewhere new like Texas or one the mid-states would of been a better choice. LA is just the wrong town for boxing in my opinion , California strikes me as very anti-everything atm , this is coming from a complete outsider. Personalities like Wilder and Fury don't blend well in these places. I'd go far as to say that LA is probably the worse place in the US to go for hosting a mega-fight like this.

dinovelvet likes this.