Sergiy Derevyanchenko Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Oct 5, 2019.

1. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Loved that body attack he was digging into GGG and some of that circular movement reminded me of Loma at times. Dervy is a brave fighter with huge heart , will fight anybody and give it all he has like he did last night.
    He dug deep and threw down with the more powerful GGG , risking getting knocked out which each trade-off. It sadness me he lost after the way he fought.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Boxing Prospect

Boxing Prospect Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 10, 2012
    Poor guy improved his stock but may have decreased his options. Good fighter but the lack of luck will end up costing him

Frankus, George Crowcroft and BCS8 like this.
  3. christpuncher

christpuncher Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 31, 2019
    he should have pulled GGG's zimmer frame from under him more and got him off balance, Canelo tried this and it almost worked.

4. Paul geczi

Paul geczi Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Very impressed with but let’s not forget he is no mug so this is a Good win for triple g .

5. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    SD has that nice textbook style of fighting that reminds me of guys like JMM, Edwin Rosario, and Harold Johnson. Very aesthetically pleasing to watch. I’m still bummed out that he was cheated out of his chances of becoming champion. I’m hoping his fights with Jacobs and GGG doesn’t take out a lot from him. He’s a really capable fighter who deserves better.

6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'll score his Jacobs fight before I'll say for certain but he has a case for the second best MW in the world. At least top 3

Big Ukrainian likes this.
  7. Scorpion

Scorpion Boxing Addict Full Member

May 9, 2006
    I felt Sergiy was on the wrong end of the decision as well but at least he got a fat cheque, god knows he deserves it. It's my only consolation, he seems like a real down to earth guy.

minemax and Big Ukrainian like this.
  8. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    don't know why but expected G to run over him

Frankus, Serge and pacas like this.
  9. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    SD’s use of angles also reminds me of Orlando Canizales. I’m really starting to appreciate SD more.

Frankus, Inglis_1 and pistal47 like this.
  10. zeratul

zeratul Active Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Yes, he overperformed in my eyes. I expected him to eat jabs all night and eventually get destroyed, as I thought he was tailor-made for Golovkin. I was wrong.

11. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    If Golovkin is done at top level then what do you call Derevyanchenko?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Picking yourself up off the canvas and battling back fiercely to arguably win both fights after suffering early KDs against the 2 best opponents you've fought and in the biggest fights of your life on the biggest stage you've ever fought on demands respect and he's certainly earned mine even though I always respected and rated him anyway. He's a very skilled and talented operator and a very resilient and tough SOB.

13. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Derevyancheko is the real deal.

I had him winning the Jacobs fight 114-113, I had him losing the GGG fight 115-112 but he was a live dog in both fights.

I’d favour him over Charlo and Andrade, although Andrade is the stylistically harder fight.

I think he also matches up very well with Canelo.

14. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    People criticized him for having a tough fight with Culcay but the later is a former World Amateur Gold medalist, a former WBA interim champ, and in addition to giving SD hell he also gave Boo Boo Andrade and Sulecki hell as well, losing on a SD to the former and he arguably beat the later. And Culcay also beat Dennis Hogan who was robbed against Munguia.

IntentionalButt and minemax like this.
  15. kevinhobson2000

kevinhobson2000 New Member banned Full Member

May 26, 2010
    Sergey is a brilliant fighter who always brings it and generally gives his opponent hell. So is gennadiy who even at 37 still has the power and technical ability to compete at the highest level even if he had slipped a bit.

I thought golovkin won by a couple of rounds but it was close.

Well done to both fighters.

Would like to see a rematch but Sergey looks to have shipped a fair bit of damage.

May take a while to heal.

Odins beard likes this.