Is Bowe in your top 20 heavyweights list

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Eye of Timaeus, Sep 6, 2019.

1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    1. Ali
    2. Louis
    3. Holmes
    4. Holyfield
    5. Lewis
    6. Foreman
    7. Marciano
    8. Tyson
    9. Frazier
    10. Wlad
    11. Dempsey
    12. Johnson
    13. Liston
    14. Vitali
    15. Charles
    16. Bowe
    17. Walcott
    18. Fitzsimmons
    19. Norton

Tyson didn't have the heart of Bowe, or any of the names above him on that list. Coming back against one-armed Razor Ruddock doesn't count, to me the most courage he ever showed was against Lewis and yes I count that as championship heart.

Contro likes this.
  2. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    I like your list. Won't even disagree that Tyson had less heart than most of the guys above him.

Do think the Ruddock and Douglas fights prove plenty of heart and you need heart period to get as far as he did with his height, you have to run INTO the danger.
    He had at least as much heart as Lewis who's height and style let him engage less and as least as much as first career foreman, who was the definition of a bully(and if you say post Zaire foreman wasn't the same then you are proving it).
    And I'm not saying Lewis didn't have alot of heart, he had plenty.

But now we are starting to talk about something very subjective and much more difficult to prove
    Frazier, holyfield, Holmes, Ali had SUPERHUMAN heart

3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    To me that's easy to agree with, my friend. Foreman had quite the heart as well, witness the Holy fight but especially the Moorer, where he was getting so beat and won anyway.

Even 70s Foreman had a big heart: witness the Lyle fight. I seriously doubt many fighters would have gone on to fight (much less win) after having the crap-slapped out of them so badly.

Contro likes this.
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Active Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Yea, its hard to see any other ATG could top Holyfield that night. Holyfield was in tip top shape, he took big punches from much bigger man and keep storming back... and how the fck he could even survived that 10th round will always amazed me. I believe the size difference was definetely a big factor.... but credit to Bowe, he threw 700+ punches in their first bout!

5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It changes often but
    1. Muhammad Ali
    2. Joe Louis
    3. Lennox Lewis
    4. Larry Holmes
    5. Wladimir Klitschko
    6. George Foreman
    7. Jack Johnson
    8. Joe Frazier
    9. Evander Holyfield
    10. Sonny Liston
    11. Mike Tyson
    12. Rocky Marciano
    13. Ezzard Charles
    14. Floyd Patterson
    15. Max Schmeling
    16. Ken Norton
    17. Riddick Bowe
    18. Jack Dempsey
    19. Jersey Joe Walcott
    20. James J Jeffries
    So yes he does. But he might fluctuate between 15&25

6. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
  7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Oh my good lord.

8. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Why Foreman? Why not Morrison? Ruddock or Mercer? Hell I'd even take Moorer but Old Foreman is probably one of the most overrated fighters on this forum.

In any case Foreman ducked Bowe.

To answer the question. Yes. I have Bowe in my Top 20. In fact I have him at 19.

9. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Old Foreman was good. I don’t think people really over rate him. Most understand the younger version was better but I would say most people are better at 25 then 45. I actually have Bowe border line top ten to 13 depending on the mood lol I just think the Lennox thing hurt him more then anything. By then George really had nothing to prove With many great wins under his belt.

10. Fuzzykat

Fuzzykat Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2019
    Sorry everyone. I just can't rank Bowe that highly. He was fulfilling his great potential early on. But after his loss to Holyfield, I saw him become more of a slugger, relying less on his boxing ability.

11. The Senator

The Senator Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2017
    There's a lot to dissect here, but the one thing I want to address is the statement about Tunney. How can you say he defeated every notable HW of his era when he didn't beat Sharkey, Uzcudun, Stribling, Godfrey or Wills? I respect Tunney's skill but to place him at third, above vastly more accomplished heavies makes little sense.

George Crowcroft and ironchamp like this.
  12. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    To be fair Liston running through the division before he became champion, and on that basis he pretty much ran through some of top heavyweights of the late 50s early 60s. Patterson was the icing on the cake. Beating Patterson againt put Liston on a level that was only replicated by George Foreman and Mike Tyson.

I have Liston in my Top 15. Ahead of Bowe.

13. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

He'd probably get a win over some guys ahead of him but I think your right , 20-30

14. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Debating your underlined statement. the following were top ten ranked when Tunney was either a ranked contender or champion.

Montgomery
    Keely
    Fitzsimmons
    Dorval
    Delaney
    Dekuh
    Munn
    De Mave
    Hansen
    Persson
    Uzcudun
    Gorman
    Sharkey
    Wills
    Godfrey
    Rojas
    Firpo
    Campolo

He fought NONE of them!
    Want to check how many top ten ranked heavyweights Tunney actually fought?lol

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  15. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes. I am aware Bowe had Holyfield's number. Numbers wise he does. But so does Deontay Wilder. Neither are nearly top 10.

No. I am not aware of Tunney beating all top contenders of his time. Because it didn't happen. He didn't beat Sharkey, Wills, Stribling and Godfrey
    I agree.
    Given how poor their era's were compared to others it does not make sense to place them where you did.
    While I disagree with that, that does not make you right.
    :risas3::risas3::risas3:
    Shut up crazy goon

Oh and btw. I litterally recognised everyone on the list.