Is boxing’s credibility at an all-time low?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ForemanJab, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Decker

Decker Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Getting there, but all time low is a tough feat. Boxing has always has a relatively low bar. :sisi1

gollumsluvslave and Salty Dog like this.
  2. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Boxing is a corrupt POS sports. It always was. But the big difference now is that they absolutely have no shame left anymore.

3. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    The WBC covering for Mexican fighters and treating them like royalty shouldn’t surprise anyone. The Mexican fan base is the most bankable fan base.

imagine this. Valdez gets paid $2 million per fight, the WBC takes $60,000 in sanctioning fees per fight. If Robson gets the belt and he gets paid $500,000 in his next fight, the WBC only makes $15,000.

knowing that, who do you think the WBC wants to hold their belt. Who will they make excuses for? They can pay the judges a thousand each and still have plenty left over from the higher sanctioning fees.

4. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Yeah it’s hard to say knowing the Mafia actually controlled boxing at one point. We’re talking about fixing fights that involved many of boxing’s ATGs, using scare tactics to force fighters to lose purposely, and many more..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    HellSpawn86, Salty Dog and Bukkake like this.
  5. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Also let’s include the Nevada State Athletic Commission practically having a price for corruption. Granting Floyd a retroactive exemption to use an IV after he was busted red handed in his dressing room before the PAC fight is nothing short of criminal activity.

I’m a diehard Floyd fan and even I know that was pure corruption.

6. CG^

CG^ Member Full Member

Feb 28, 2015
    It's a mess right now.

7. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    They need a unified body consisting of national boxing commissions from a variety of countries, certainly the countries holding the majority of title fights which I'm guessing are the US, UK, Japan etc.

1) They come up with a ratings system
    2) This unified system refuses to sanction any of the alphabet bodies in their districts (good luck WBO, WBA, WBC, IBF getting sanctioning fees in countries where boxing isn't popular) unless they meet their requirements which includes unifications and always a move towards an undisputed champion in each weight class.
    3) Only the unified commission can assign a mandatory challenger in a given weight class.
    4) revamp the rating structure. No more fighting 25 cans with losing records gets you a top ten slot
    5) Top 20 rated fighters can only be in sanctioned fights against each other. Fighters not fighting in over 12 months are dropped from the ratings.
    6) Judges are constantly reviewed and audited. Training is done every two years with a test, a fail revokes the judges license for 12 months. Referees go through similar training. Title fight judges and refs have to go through additional training and certification.

I know this is pie in the sky stuff, but it would really just take a few countries getting together with a common cause to clear a lot of this up

8. DanielDimov

DanielDimov Jabbing all night Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Absolutely and nothing has been done for a change. It will get worse and worse

Bustajay likes this.
  9. kerrminator

kerrminator Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2007
    I think he did actually warn him at one point in the first 2 rounds about it but that aside I reckon it was more because he done it blatantly on purpose rather than did it by accident. Not the best performance from a ref I have seen though to be sure!

10. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Mostly, I agree, but let's not go too far. UFC champs are still getting handled by Youtube stars. But you are right about the enthusiasm gap. The only fight I'm looking forward to just got pushed back because Gonzalez got covid.

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  11. MagicE

MagicE Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Yes the extremely biased commentary is becoming an ever bigger issue to the point where I'm noticing it in almost every fight

12. Mugen38

Mugen38 Member Full Member

May 22, 2011
    It's about time people refused to fight protected cash cows like Canelo & Valdez especially when they know they have to knock them out to get a draw.If they don't fight then they don't get paid!

kiwi_boxer likes this.
  13. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    What is going on in the boxing world these days is pretty bad... but, yeah, probably no worse than in most other eras.

And as long as I can watch a fight like last night's Eggington-Jkitou every now and then - then I'm not gonna join the "boxing is dying" chorus!

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  14. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    There is so much wrong with boxing these days that we could carry this thread on for pages and pages and pages

The sport is literally a joke these days professionally,following the grassroots boxing,small hall shows and keeping up tp date with gyms that are training passionate hungry fighters is where its at imo

Those in power at the moment are reducing the greatest sport to a circus,boxing has always been a bit messed up but in 2021 the whole thing is like a work

Mugen38 likes this.
  15. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    That's it in a nutshell

Then we have a great fight like last nights Eggington fight which gives me slim hope

Sap1en and Bukkake like this.