Is boxing’s credibility at an all-time low?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ForemanJab, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot El gran campeón Mexicano Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
  2. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I don't think it has much to do with emotions. A lot of judges are corrupt and they're being paid to score fights for certain fighters.

They used to be under the radar, but now they're become a very common place and there is nothing anyone can do about it since there is no governing body. The 117-110 scorecard for Valdez has absolutely nothing to do with emotion and everything to do with corruption. Boxing is the wild wild west these days.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  3. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    I can totally agree with that and that's why I want to take the fun out it for them. They get paid on the back end and still enjoy the best seats in the house.

4. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011

While there are legitimate reasons to refer to history, this is not one of them. What is happening today has no remedy in history. As for vantage points, People watching a fight at home on a big screens see more angles and vantage points than the judges. I could care less where the judges are sitting at as do most people. My only concern is that is that the fighters receive a fair and unbiased decision. I don't see that happening and just the bad calls this year alone testify to that. I just answered a poster who actually hit the nail on the head when he stated that in fact a lot of the judges are just corrupt and getting paid to render certain decisions. Even the refs miss things and they are in the ring. That's why instant replay was introduced. I have no sympathy for the judges, they get paid to judge and if putting them in a better position to do that is called for then so be it.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  5. DobyZhee

DobyZhee Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    If you watched yesterday’s triller event then yes..

it was a low point in my life looking at the replay on YouTube.

I don’t think I want to be associated with that event.

I looked at the train wreck and I regret it.

6. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Yes it is at an all time low

7. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Boxing is so much more than these garbage fights involving youtubers, and long since retired name fighters coming back to earn a final buck in ridiculous "exhibitions".

Why not just stop watching this silliness - and concentrate on the great fights that are still available to us. Just this past weekend, DAZN brought us excellent fights from both the UK and Spain... which I'm sure, most of you will have enjoyed.

Yes, a lot of criticism can be (and rightly so) leveled at today's boxing, but enough to turn hard-core fans completely away from the sport? I don't think so... I mean, who wants to miss the next Inoue fight?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  8. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    I used subscribe the the notion that cross over events were good for the sport but im not sure about that anymore.

The Mayweather / McGregor build up and fight was great promotion for boxing. But the Mayweather Paul and Paul Woodley fights were an embarrassment for the sport.
    All the casual fans who watched those fights aren't coming away with a hunger to watch more boxing. Those non-eventful hugfests probably turned a lot of people off boxing.
    Last weekends debacle has only made matters worse. However its still not at an all time low. Its still in a good place when fights are breaking attendance records i.e Canelo vs Saunders

Aussie Invader likes this.
  9. Finkel

Finkel Active Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Personally I just think if America is not dominating, they become nostalgic for a time when they were.

A massive cope, that is making the sport a laughing stock