Is boxing taught in schools in your country?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by PIRA, Jun 10, 2017.

1. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007
    When I went to school amateur boxing was taught in phys ed at school both primary and secondary however the PC brigade put paid to that state by state - a blow that relegated boxing to a fringe sport here IMO.

2. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    No.
    And pretty unlikely it ever will.

3. ertwin

ertwin Active Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Why the hell should shools teach that????
    The school is a place to get you more intelligent and not making you dumber then you already are.
    In my country boxing was in schools for the later part of the 30s and the first half of the 40s... guess from what country i am. Ah and those people that wanted boxing part of our phys ed were not nice at all.

Liquid Fire and Robney like this.
  4. TinFoilHat

TinFoilHat Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2013
    No, and as a result peoples chins are turning into pure glass.

For a long time they were considering removing it from West Point even:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/...-still-required-for-military-cadets.html?_r=0

My personal opinion on the West Point matter is that concussions wouldn't be as frequent if they made it a 2 year program. The first 6 months is all techniques, followed by easing them into sparring before they start going hard. This way they would at least have enough defense to protect themselves more. I remember being fresh at the gym and everytime I'd spar with another new guy, we'd just end up trading because we didn't know much about technique. From a few photo stills you can tell they don't have the best techniques.

As a result they'd be better at fighting, and not have as much brain damage to show for it.

5. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Building on what TinFoilHat said, the way the programme would more often be structured may actually lead to injuries and fatalities. If boxing is taught, it should be taught in small groups of 6 with just an emphasis of technique and at very most, heavily moderated light sparring to help work on technique.

It's best left as an extra-curricular activity maybe held at and funded by schools.

6. HamburgBuam

HamburgBuam Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Some boxing clubs are giving lessons in schools which are located in dangerous areas to prevent the kids from become a criminal. They want to give the kids a hobby.

7. Liquid Fire

Liquid Fire Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Is it ****. It's mostly archaic & backward. Why would they teach it? A sport for neanderthals.. It's just fun to watch & discuss. I could see a case for it being taught at remedial level.. Getting hit in the head isn't a sensible thing to put on the syllabus. The silly bus maybe.. Let schools churn out doctors, scientists & tradesmen.

LOL Playing..

8. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Get it back in schools.

9. Rockradar

Rockradar Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I'd enrol my son into a school that teaches boxing.

10. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    As long as he doesn't get professor Hopkins as a geography teacher I guess?!

pincai and Rockradar like this.
  11. radupidu

radupidu Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2010
    You from the Fatherland lol ?

12. Rockradar

Rockradar Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Or Floyds reading class.

pincai and Robney like this.
  13. Ant Sutton

Ant Sutton I love boxing Full Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Not in where I grew up in Aus or Vietnam :(

14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    My country has one of the most liberal constitutions in the world in protecting people's rights, health, and feelings. What irony that our actual society is sick to the core with hatred, a collapsing health system and one of the highest rates of violent crime in the world. IMHO a good ass whipping is a tonic for straightening some folks out.

lewis gassed likes this.
  15. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Irony. The Dutch have some great genes for heavyweights.