Is Canelo the Greatest Super Middleweight of all time?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Joeywill, Sep 18, 2022.

Who is the greatest super middleweight of all time?

This poll will close on Feb 2, 2050 at 8:49 AM.
  1. Canelo Alvarez

2.7%
  2. Joe Calzaghe

74.1%
  3. Steve Collins

0.5%
  4. Lucien Bute

0.5%
  5. Andre Ward

16.8%
  6. Carl Froch

1.1%
  7. Sven Ottke

1.6%
  8. Nigel Benn

0.5%
  9. Chris Eubank

1.6%
  10. Mikkel Kessler

0.5%
  1. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Dumb fk loads of great fighters have been dropped by lesser fighters... example.. Sergio martinez was dropped twice by Richard Williams .. & Mitchell could fkin punch anyway... He was also a two time WBA champion and actually should have been unified champion because he clearly beat Otke in Germany.. hardly a bum.. he ended Frankie Liles reign.. Canelo hasn't a SMW win even close to that ... & btw Ward was lucky he wasnt stopped by Boone.. getting dropped isnt unusual in boxing thick fk .. call me when Calzaghe loses to a bald midget, gets outboxed by a wigger & turned over by two eurasian fellas.. one of which it took him 3 times to beat :lol:.. Calzage>>>>Bivols son.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  2. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    "Bivol's son" irrelevant to this topic as that was at LHW. If we're going to talk about LHW, Calzaghe got dropped by ancient RJJ and 40 something Hopkins. Surely you don't wanna go there. Losing a 115-113 decision to arguably the best LHW is way better than struggling and getting KD vs old fighters as Joe did.

You're trying to make it seem like everyone gets knocked down, so it's not something that can be used against Joe. How convienient. Canelo has never been down, and certainly not at SMW like Joe. Stop making excuses, Joe got knocked down twice at SMW and if you're going to bring up LHW, twice there too vs old fighters one (Hopkins) not known as a puncher. Canelo has far better defense than Joe had and has much better punch resistance. Don't even try to deny that. If you wanna argue Joe had a better work rate and faster feet, I wouldn't deny that. But then again, Canelo has better punching power and is a better counter puncher. Canelo is a better more effective all around fighter, he's just better in more areas than Joe was.

3. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    He is still OBVIOUSLY not the greatest super middleweight, and yes, PEDs and losses help to cancel ANY legacy.

4. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Against who?

5. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I haven't bothered looking in on this thread before because well it just seemed obvious that Canelo isn't the best super midddleweight of all time and just decided to check this thread out to see why it's gone 18 pages.

I assume we either have people trolling or some deluded fans boys for the 5 people that voted for Canelo. I'd rank Calzaghe, Ward and RJJ above Canelo. Not to mention Toney who at his best I think would comfortably beat Canelo perhaps even shut him out.

gollumsluvslave and Serge like this.
  6. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Clenelo's best win above 160 is a short notice camp Callum Smith who was coming off an ass whopping robbery win in his previous fight and therefore shouldn't have even held a belt, let alone Clenelo been contesting two of them against him because Clen's fairy godfather Mauricio threw in the vacant WBC strap as a freebie for his boy to pick up. Just like they did when they decided to pair him up with career 147 pounder Matt Hatton for the vacant WBC 154 belt. Hatton's previous three fights were all European 147 title fights but somehow he was nominated by the WBC to contest the vacant title at 154 :facepalm:

Unless you consider Kovalev and GGG's corpses better wins for Bumnelo that is

And the best win at that weight of all the SMWs Clenelo fought is a one-armed past prime George Groves who was coming off shoulder surgery six or seven months earlier :facepalm:

gollumsluvslave and Liquorice like this.
  7. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    This is what a Calzaghe vs Clenelo fight would look like

Timestamped

This content is protected

gollumsluvslave and Liquorice like this.
  8. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Joe showing compassion for the gingers .. great guy :lol:

Serge and gollumsluvslave like this.
  9. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Canelo has to put everything into his punches to have decent effect which is why he gasses, Canelo`s defense is not that good, Calzaghe`s reflexes were very quick, he was never out-boxed. Nobody that hit Canelo flush could have hurt Calzaghe, GGG does not really have super-middle power.

10. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Canelo never fought George Groves.

11. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    I know. I meant Groves is the best win out of all the wins of Clenelo's victims at 168

mark ant likes this.
  12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Super Joe 75% :D

13. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Aye-teeennn pages!!!!!

14. CooperKupp

CooperKupp Jokic For MVP Full Member

Aug 28, 2022