Is Chris Eubank Sr. Right? Is Chris jr TOO dangerous?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, Feb 16, 2018.

1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I'm not certain he will, but if ...as he predicts..Chris jr batters groves tomorrow night, will future opponents fear to face him?will he assume an aura of deadliness the like of which we've never seen?
    Will he even be able to get an opponent?....and if he does will officials panic and prematurely dive in to "save" that opponent?

Will his foreseeable future fights degenerate into farce?

Camaris likes this.
  2. Diggedag

Diggedag New Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2018
    No, I don't think so.
    You have taken Groves out of the equation.

As much as I want Groves to win I don't think he's an elite boxer/fighter. So, if junior was to batter him, which he won't, he would only have defeated (one of) the current top smw boxer. And let's not forget that Groves already got kayoed by Froch.
    Such a win would propel junior to number 1 (not just on a boxrec) but it wouldn't put all other fighters off.

Anybody can see the flaws in junior's boxing and would hope to exploit his flaws.

But perhaps junior shows a different technical and tactical level tomorrow, by which he eclipses his previous performances?

He'll need more than speed (timing beats speed) and a superior engine to make other fighters run at the mere mention of his name, I think.

Beating Groves - as if ! - is not the same as beating Mayweather, Lomachenko, GGG, Leonard, Hagler...

mark ant likes this.
  3. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    It's all just hype. There would be talk saying he could go up to LHW and dominate that etc.

He's so technically flawed that any real elite talent is going to make him look daft and I don't think Groves is elite.

At the end of the day, the only reason people think he beats Groves is his freshness and workrate, no one says he's going to out-box him, which tells you all you need to know and I think most people picking Eubank are doing so because they think Groves is not the fighter he was. That again tells you everything you need to know, so no, there's no need to fear him.

4. MeatFeastMan

MeatFeastMan Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Problem with this fight is...if Groves loses, he'll be seen by the media, public etc as an average fighter who 'almost' beat people. Junior won't get as much credit as he deserves, unless he demolishes Groves in style.

Similarly, Groves won't get the credit he deserves for the fight either. Junior will just be seen as a guy who is British and European level if he loses, and Groves will be accused of beating a 'bum' probably.

It feels like a win-win beforehand, but after the fight, it'll be bad for both guys..

The only way they both get the credit they deserve is if both guys are super-competitive and it's really back and forth, kinda like Usyk vs Briedis, Joshua vs Wlad etc

kojak likes this.
  5. Work the body

Work the body Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Jr is getting knocked out.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  6. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    It's boardering on a little desperate for me. Every fighter knows they can get seriously hurt or worse, every fan knows it too.

To keep repeating it says to me he has it on his mind, it's worrying him, for all the talk of Jr's opponets needing protecting Sr knows deep down it could be Jr.

This is why I believe he is saying it, after all the talk of "we don't have towels in our corner" and all this "Warriors code" rubbish Sr has found himself in a position where if Jr is getting busted up or he is dropped heavily what is he going to do?

If Sr throws a towel in the Eubanks will never hear the end of it, it will haunt them forever and it could well destroy his relationship with his son.

If he doesn't throw a towel if Jr is taking a pounding then people will absolutely shred him for not protecting his own son after everything he has said or God forbid Jr gets hurt he will not be able to live with himself. Jr does has siblings and a mother that Sr would have to explain himself too.

Jr is in the big league now, he is fighting bigger, stronger, harder punching men, this isn't easy anymore and there is no going backwards now.

I believe this is why Sr lost his pen when it was time to sign for GGG, it was Sr who lost his nerve, not Jr.

So that's why Sr is trying to pressure the referee, Sr doesn't want to make that decision, Sr doesn't want that responsibility, he wants it taken out of his hands by the referee so he wants to be assured the referee's will be very keen to jump if somebody is getting really worked over.

S.K, Gneus7, EX7EY and 5 others like this.
  7. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Some very good points. I believe the ''he's too dangerous'' talk is a mind game to

1) Place fear and doubt in the opponent

2) To influence the referee, so he is more willing to jump in a stop the fight on their behalf if Eubank gets Groves in trouble on the ropes

3) Arguably to protect Jr from a savage beating.

It is indeed a powerful psychological strategy , which is often deployed often by bullies, which can break an opponent's will, before they've even stepped in the ring. Billy Joe Saunders touched upon it when he mentioned how you have to be solid mentally, so as to not allow the mind games and the entire Eubank charade with their demeanor and attitude that you're not on their level to get into your head.

This is why Groves has refrained from engaging and getting involved emotionally with any of the build up, because he knows the second you begin allowing oneself to get agitated and wound up, you then being giving credence to Eubank's words whilst inevitably lose the mental battle.

Oneirokritis, Gneus7, N17 and 3 others like this.
  8. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Lmfao

9. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    I get that the OP is taking the ****. However there is something to what English has been saying. Better in the long term to be knocked out by one huge punch than to take 12 rounds of hurtful punches and the cumulative effect.

10. YearZero

YearZero Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Going by that logic Groves is more dangerous than Eubank. Look at what Groves did to Gutknecht. Blackwell made a mostly complete recovery after his fight vs Eubank. Groves hits much harder than Eubank after all, so it's not really surprising.

But in actuality it really doesn't have much to do with Groves or Eubank, more the type of fighters they were up against. Fighters like Gutknecht and Blackwell, who have tremendous chins and can absorb repeated punishment in the ring without getting stopped. They may not go down, but the brain takes a hammering all the same. That's when it starts getting dangerous. Groves isn't one of those fighters. Eubank MIGHT be one of those fighters. So if anything, if Eubank keeps absorbing punches from Groves he might be more in danger of getting seriously hurt in this fight than Groves. Groves could just lose, whereas Eubank might get sent to the hospital in a coma.

11. rayrobinson

rayrobinson Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Jnr has been beaten by the only decent fighter he has fought , so no ...

Diggedag likes this.
  12. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Completely and utterly disagree, the winner will be unequivocally the no1 in the division and in Jr's case he will be considered p4p for overcoming the size advantage.

Both have the ability to massively raise their stock but the loser may drop down a level but that is usual.

Sephiroth Rising 7 likes this.
  13. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Eubank, Jr. was not too dangerous for Golovkin at 160! Golovkin flew all the way across the ocean to sign the contract, then Eubank backed out! He ran like hell!

14. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    He went across the ocean to fight a dwarf, what an absolute joke of a fighter

15. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    A lot of people seem to forget it was a split decision, one that I actually scored for Jnr, despite him doing nothing for the first few rounds as he was obviously concerned about his gas tank in his first 12 rounder.