Is Corrie Sanders overrated ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Greb & Papke 707, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He was as he was if you look at his record it is easy to place him- But as a man he was a selfless hero and the epitome of fatherly sacrifice. He did what many would flatter themselves with the notion of. He looked death in the eyes and stood arms open accepting his fate and committed to his morals to the very end- Too many of us look for a worthy life and few of us look for a worthy death this was an honourable one indeed.

young griffo, NoNeck, reznick and 2 others like this.
  2. ironchamp

ironchamp Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2004
    I disagree. I think Tommy Morrison was a better fighter; I'd argue a tier above Sanders.

3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    This content is protected

This content is protected

I think it's clear who the better boxer out of the two of them was.

NoNeck likes this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sanders was more talented and had a higher ceiling, thus the intrigue over him. Sanders' emphatic victory over the guy who would go on to dominate the division for a decade is better than anything Tommy ever did. The reality is that those in the know never really took Tommy seriously, outside his moneymaking potential, while the same folks saw Sanders as someone who could be seriously in the championship mix.

I would argue they essentially occupied the same tier... unless we are going to divide tiers down to a granular level and then I would say Sanders was higher by a smidge.

BCS8 likes this.
  5. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    They were comparable fighters, both glass cannons to an extent. I'd probably favor Sanders 60/40 were they to have fought in their primes

BCS8 likes this.
  6. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Transitive properties don’t work that way in boxing.

Leonard beat Hearns.

Duran beat Leonard.

Hearns beat Duran.

See how that works?

7. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    Yes but your eyes can work in boxing.

If you use them you can see that Sanders was more mobile, faster, a faster puncher had better footwork and was more accurate than Tommy. His stamina is better. He's showing Puritty angles and he's using space to nullify Ross' lunging blows. Tommy mostly just plods forward and exchanges punches with Ross, they're like two old-style galleons firing broadsides at each other, bits of wood and rigging breaking off with every shelling. Sanders only gets hit when he lets Ross work against the ropes so that he can counter-barrage him when the opening presents itself.

8. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    I feel Sanders is better than Morrison but not by a huge amount. Tommy had other useful attributes. I agree Sanders had a higher ceiling and that he didn't reach it, Wlad win notwithstanding.

Seamus likes this.
  9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Very unrated. He was suck with a 2nd rate trainer and a 3rd rate promoter. How many heavyweight have a win as good as Wlad? Very few.

Sanders was an avoided man in this time and boxing unicorn. He had about the fastest hands you'll see, hit like a truck, and was a big southpaw with mobility. Plus that mustache! Owner of about as many early KO's and Jack Dempsey or Mike Tyson. Capable of beatimg just about anyone on a given night.

BCS8 likes this.
  10. Drago

Drago Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Depends on different things.

If he was at 100% of his shape, i mean his absolute peak, i am not sure if AJ or Wilder would beat him iin 2017-2020, he had all to KO both of them.
    Fury is much taller, longer and has a better defense, so style makes fights i dont see Sanders defeats him.

But a Sanders from Wlad or Vitali fight could beat AJ the same was as Ruiz jr. did in June 2019.
    And Wilder has only his right hand and nothing else.

So or so he was not deditacted to Boxing most of the time. So there is no chance to rank him very high overall.

11. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    On here for sure. He beat a pre prime Wlad but nothing else, while it was a good it doesn't warrent his near invincibility on fantasy matchups.

12. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    ^ This right here is exactly why he is overrated

13. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    What facts and truth?

14. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    We don't know if he was better than Morrsion. He was better than Kiltschko though , we know that for certain :smile:

15. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Dunno about that. Suppose Sanders had Bill Clayton as his manager, I think he does better vs Lennox Lewis for example who had his chances to fight Sanders.

BCS8 likes this.