Is DeGale finished? He looked "washed up" to me...

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Camaris

Camaris Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I've always thought DeGale needs a psychologist as well as a new trainer. The 'rude boy' persona has done him no favours and boxing fans have never taken him to heart, and, worse, I think it goes against his character. The amount of times I've heard the guy asking for reassurance between rounds - "I'm winning this, right?!" - and the amount of times I've seen him ask interviewers for confirmation of what he says - "You tell me Koogs, am I right?!" - ...
    I think he has a confidence problem and has needed for years to find a way past being a wannabe Naseem. I think lack of true confidence always has him fighting at his opponent's level. Last night I thought the commentary from Woodall was very kind to DeGale. You can't make a case that no head movement, backing up to the ropes and shipping solid punches to the head is enough to win rounds. Truax was making that fight all the way, and had he not done so it would have been a stinker.

DeGale's career has been a shame, but he's been a world champ and made some money so no tears from me. But seriously, Truax was landing the uppercut every time he threw it, which luckily for DeGale was not that much. Eubank with relentless pressure would have done an absolute number on DeGale - absolutely no different to the Spike fight, maybe even more emphatic I think.

2. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    He never looked any good to me

Jurgen likes this.
  3. Peterp

Peterp Well-Known Member Full Member

May 1, 2006
    The problem combat athletes have is the limited amount of times they perform per year

Take tennis players for example. They often come back from injury, take a few matches to get back in stride, and in Roger Federer's case win grand slams !

Very few players coming back from injury perform amazingly their first match
    Same with football players, basketball etc

But boxers and mma fighters do not have the luxury of settling back in. It really isn't fair.

Degale might rebound, he might not

4. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Degale has talent his achievements prove that but he has some serious chinks in his armour which at this stage of his career would not only require tremendous effort from Degale but a very skilful team around him to address the issues ! Where and who could provide the required "magic" I wouldn't profess to have the answer but I doubt it will be with his present team . He perhaps could beat Truax if he got a return but I think most agree we have 5 or 6 super middleweights in UK who could possible beat Truax ? James seems unable to fight for more than 10 seconds without going to have a rest on the ropes why has this not been addressed?

5. Gneus7

Gneus7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 29, 2007
    He looked terrible in that fight. Really lacking in speed, sharpness, reflexes, timing and snap in his punches. Just really didn't look right from the beginning. I don't like to base too much on one or two performances but he has taken quite a lot of punishment. Most likely he is basically finished. Could maybe see him make a comeback though, with the help of some PED's perhaps.

6. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Sadly I think Degale is past best and that tough fights have caught up on him.
    I think Degale has been good. He travelled to the USA to beat Dirrell, travelled to Canada to beat Bute, travelled back to the USA to beat Medina, travelled back to the USA to face Jack in a unification in a draw. I think travelling like that several fights in a row can cause a sort of fatigue.

Degale with so much talent but he seems to get dragged into the trenches and I have a bit of a theory with why.
    Degale doesnt seem to try and push his opponents back and with his style gets made to move alot, so I think he is often working twice as hard as his opponents and then needs to rest on the ropes for a bit when he is tired after having to move so much.
    His opponents can stay more in centre ring making Degale do full circles around them.

I think there will be a familiar situation to what fans have seen before where when a talented champ gets dethroned suddenly other names are looking to face the new champ when they didnt seem as interested in the previous champ. I expect suddenly many opponents who havent been overly chasing Degale will suddenly be looking for a shot at Truax

matt007 likes this.
  7. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Sadly I think Degale is past best and that tough fights have caught up on him.
    I think Degale has been good. He travelled to the USA to beat Dirrell, travelled to Canada to beat Bute, travelled back to the USA to beat Medina, travelled back to the USA to face Jack in a unification in a draw. I think travelling like that several fights in a row can cause a sort of fatigue.

Degale with so much talent but he seems to get dragged into the trenches and I have a bit of a theory with why.
    Degale doesnt seem to try and push his opponents back and with his style gets made to move alot, so I think he is often working twice as hard as his opponents and then needs to rest on the ropes for a bit when he is tired after having to move so much.
    His opponents can stay more in centre ring making Degale do full circles around them.

I think there will be a familiar situation to what fans have seen before where when a talented champ gets dethroned suddenly other names are looking to face the new champ when they didnt seem as interested in the previous champ. I expect suddenly many opponents who havent been overly chasing Degale will suddenly be looking for a shot at Truax

Camaris and BEATDOWNZ like this.
  8. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Degale isn't physically gifted. He had a short peak and he's done now . If he gets good rest and rebuilds he's got a chance of doing something

But get the feeling he's done

stittyb and BEATDOWNZ like this.
  9. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    I loved it when he asked his trainer 'I'm winning this right'' and his trainer responded ''yes yes yes'' when he knew full well that his boy was losing and was on a uphill battle to get back into the fight.

That tells you that Degale's fragile ego has ensured that he is surrounded by yes men, all telling him what he wants to hear rather than what he needs to hear and you don't improve without honest assessment.

He had no urgency during the fight because in his head he believed he was doing enough to edge it and his corner was too afraid of telling him that he needed to buck up his ideas if he wished to retain his titles.

matt007 likes this.
  10. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    There's quite a few things he could improve to be more effective. Firstly learn to clinch an opponent when he has his back to the ropes. He all too often backs up onto the ropes then just goes into a shell allowing guys to work him over on the ropes, Truax really punished him badly there last night. If he had simply clinched in the 5th after the right hand when cornered he would of never taken that barrage that busted his mouth up.

He gets backed up onto the ropes a lot because he doesn't counter punch enough or at all really. Which is bizarre because his stance with his body forward is a perfect set up for a pull counter or to use his shoulder to catch and counter. What he tends to do is stand mid ring, lets his hands go then just backs up, resets and repeats, it gives opponents to many opportunities to get to him when he isn't being an agressor. His foot work is an issue too, his wide stance makes his movement limited.

11. punk

punk Well-Known Member Full Member

May 23, 2009
    Don' know where to start with this. **** me!!

12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    The foundations of a world class fighter are built on the jab in my opinion. Establish the jab and they can dominate and break their opponent and from that, it breeds confidence and self belief.

Degale’s shoulder is knackered. He can’t throw a decent jab with it. Therefore he can’t hold the centre of the ring anymore and he retreats to the ropes.

No jab means being under constant pressure, constant pressure means gassing and confidence ebbs away. If that’s the most he can get out of that shoulder, then he’s done and dusted.

13. stittyb

stittyb Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    He's always been a very frustrating and lazy fighter. Often fights down to his opponents level when on paper he should completely outclass them. This is certainly not the first time in his career he's struggled with average fighters.

But to answer the thread title, is he finished? I've always thought of a shot fighter as being unable to throw punches when they should. Look at the last 8 fights of Mosley's career, just couldn't pull the trigger.

Going back onto the ropes and inviting pressure only works if you're planning to pull the opponent onto a shot. Degale consistently fell back to the ropes, poised as if setting a trap, then did nothing. For an older fighter it would be clear as day that he was shot.

I just can't see how Degale could be shot, but I'm at a loss to explain such a catastrophic performance.

14. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Very good points being made in this thread. Well done lads! :)

15. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    He just needs a few milligrams of Meldonium to put him right.