Is Deontay the hardest P4P heavyweight puncher ever ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by he grant, Oct 20, 2022.

1. BEATDOWNZ

BEATDOWNZ Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Nah. I'd put Wlad in that category.

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Impossible to say for sure who is, but I believe wilder to be in the upper tier

3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I'd say so. He'd be my pick. There are other reasonable answers.

OBCboxer, ikrasevic, Pat M and 2 others like this.
  4. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Does his height factor into the P4P? If you consider his power at 214 the other night while being 6'7" that has to count for something. Low 200s @ 6'7" is a world different than low 200s @ 6ft.

Turnip mk3 likes this.
  5. Turnip mk3

Turnip mk3 Active Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2021
    Has freakish power you can actually see it land in slow motion in waves of force . The punch he hit RH didn't look much but was devastating. He has the death touch . A very risky fighter for any HW to take on

Journeyman92 and Saintpat like this.
  6. Mike_b

Mike_b Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2020
    I think when he hit brazeale he might have hit him a bit too hard, that was the deadliest one punch knockout that I've ever see. I vote for Deontay as well with that one hitter quitter.

7. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Foreman had bludgeoning power. Like getting run over by a cement truck rolling along at 40 mph.

Shavers had pulverizing power. Like stepping in front of a moving train.

Wilder has sniper power. Like getting clipped by a rifle shot. Maybe a hollow point that just sort of expands/explodes when it hits the target.

All are lethal.

quest00, Rumsfeld, ikrasevic and 5 others like this.
  8. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Marciano...round 13...Sept.23, 1952...he was floored for the first time in round 1...blinded for 4 rounds...couldn't see...had the S**T beat out of him...behind on all scorecards...then in the 13th..."BANG"...Rocky throws the best right hand ever...and knocks Jersey Joe Walcott into next week and wins the title!!! Marciano ruined a lot of guys...and some fighters never got over a beating from Marciano...

Jackomano and Turnip mk3 like this.
  9. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    In fairness to Shavers, when he really loaded up and threw a haymaker, he got some real good hand speed off it. I always enjoyed how he'd sometimes commit so hard to a haymaker that he'd trip if he missed.

10. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Marciano’s power was definitely for real, but you can make a strong argument that: (a) a lot of them were never the same because they were old and at the end of their careers (or at least far past prime); and (b) that a lot of the younger ones who weren’t the same maybe weren’t all that to begin with — few Wilder victims were ever the same after but people will say they weren’t good anyway and I think there’s some of this at work with the Rock.

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You could make a strong argument that Helinius, should have been ranked in the top ten by Ring Magazine, at the time of the fight.

After he beat Kownaki twice, they almost tried to retrospectively withdraw their ranking of him.

That was a good win.

The answer is that we don't have enough data, to say that he is the hardest heavyweight puncher of all time, let alone the hardest pound for pound puncher.

So he is not necessarily the hardest puncher of all time, but still try to steer clear of his right hand!

Seamus likes this.
  12. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Height has never come into P4P ratings. If it did guys like Thomas Hearns at 147 and Bob Foster at 175 would be affected and they aren't. Tyson bombed at a height much lower than, say, Wilder. That's the beauty of it, we have short bombers, tall bombers, and everything in between.

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    He's certainly in the discussion... if not leading the discussion.

Pat M likes this.
  14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Helenius was once rightfully highly touted and had been on a bit of a roll. He deserved a step up. Certainly not a bum. Unfortunately he left his chin hanging against the banger of bangers.

15. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    This content is protected

Helenius utterly crumbled in the face of lesser punchers.

JunlongXiFan likes this.