Is GGG is an all-time top 5 middleweight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think at the 2nd Mercado fight, it is hard to argue that Hopkins wasn't yet prime.

Bokaj likes this.
  2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Absolutely mate.

Yeah he'd been winning almost every round of every fight for some time by then. You could argue he was at fully tilt against Johnson and he actually refined and measured things a bit more after that while still being at least as "effective" or more so. He was more aggressive at that time.

Bokaj likes this.
  3. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005

From then on he performed at a very high level. Prime of course isn't peak but yes from the second match he was performing at a consistently high level.

4. Raj_Patel

Raj_Patel Member banned Full Member

Dec 13, 2021
    Easily. I would doubt the sanity of anyone suggesting otherwise.

5. Raj_Patel

Dec 13, 2021
    That's not fair, though, is it?

Boxing is a much more competitive sport today. The chaff has been separated from the wheat early in the amateurs.

Most "greats" padded their records with countless bums. For every gem there were at least a dozen turds.

It's nearly unthinkable that any past champ would beat him, though I suspect Pirog had a chance.

6. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    ridiculous, this is such an inaccurate historical perception. Modern boxing is perceived EXACTLY in the way you applying it here to the Past.

you are first underestimating the often long and arduous roads to the Top past fighters HAD to endure, secondly you are passing over many, many great & competent fighters whom you know nothing about, as if they weren't up too much, WRONG.

Last you are expecting us to believe that similarly, Fights and Fighters we CAN See Today because of Television, Video and the Internet, that many of the 10, 15, or 20 Fights before getting some sort of ABC recognition, are...

A) supposed to have been superior to the Dozens of names on Top Fighters from the Past, yeah right.

B) that the amateur ranks somehow left us with ONLY Great & Competent Fighters who turned PRO and are the same 10, 15 or 20 Fight great names, far better than the names on Past fighters resumes.

Yeah, OK, we'll all buy that!

'Some', a few, of those 15 names were good fighters yeah, sure, but most were just no serious threat, but of the Dozens of names in a Very Busy Competitive Past, well at least a 1/3 of say 30/40 Names were very good & NOTED Fighters before the Past Fighter reached TOP Spots.

Such an ingenuous & insulting 'mind set' about Boxing's LONG and RECORDED Past. Sorry, just such a deeply inaccurate and Off the Mark belief.

mr. magoo and Noel857 like this.
  7. Raj_Patel

Dec 13, 2021
    Yeah, cool, you can say all that. I can also simply post this:

This content is protected

Golovkin beats all who came before him.

The wild card, of course, is Greb. But he fought in such a different era.

8. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    I realise you are quite new to the for
    I realise that you are quite new to the forum but with comments like this and also those on the Tommy Morrison thread you are quickly becoming a laughing stock

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  9. Raj_Patel

Dec 13, 2021
    While it's true a lot of people here hate reality. The silent majority is very much in favor of my use of facts and reason. Try it sometime; you'll feel better about yourself. You'll realize the unsettling fantasies that you have about people you never met aren't worth the energy you've invested in them.

Mind naming an idol of yours whom you'd pick to beat Golovkin? I do enjoy a laugh, myself.

10. Noel857

Mar 24, 2019
    You are not worthy of my time

surfinghb likes this.
  11. Raj_Patel

Dec 13, 2021
    And yet you'll sit in line for 30 minutes at our Dunkin Donuts to get a coffee that it would have taken you three minutes to get, had you just parked your oversized pickup truck and walked into the store.

I asked a simple question and you are running away. Why?

12. Noel857

Mar 24, 2019
    Because as i said you are a fool.And for your information i don`t drive neither do i like donuts.So use your imagination and think of a more sensible way to insult me

13. Raj_Patel

Dec 13, 2021
    Oh yes, you take the short bus. Makes sense. Do you have to wear a helmet the whole time?

I really don't know what is so troubling about my question.

Would you mind providing me footage of Middleweights better than GGG?

14. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Thank god that's over.

Fergy, Smokin Bert, Noel857 and 2 others like this.