Is Harry Greb a top 3 light heavyweight H2H?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dpw417, Dec 21, 2016.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I think other than Charles holding 3 victories over Moore no one else comes close resume wise.

2. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    You know when you have those days were you pretend trolls are normal people and try having coherent debates with them, that was me today :lol:

Seamus likes this.
  3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

The IBRO Poll, which I participated in had it like this in 2005. Gerb not in the top ten. The consensus was #13. Like I said as time passes he'll move further down the list. Gren officially beat a pre prime Tunney once, but I think benefited in a time when not many light heavies hit hard.

1. Archie Moore
    2. Ezzard Charles
    3. Sam Langford
    4. Gene Tunney
    5. Bob Foster
    6. Tommy Loughran
    7. Michael Spinks
    8. Bob Fitzsimmons
    9. Billy Conn
    10. Roy Jones, Jr.
    11. Maxie Rosenbloom
    12. John Henry Lewis
    13. Harry Greb
    14. Tommy Gibbons
    15. Philadelphia Jack O’Brien
    16. Jack Dillon
    17. Harold Johnson
    18. Jimmy Bivins
    19. Georges Carpentier
    20. Battling Levinsky

Post Spinks, you can make a convincing case for Roy Jones, and a case for Kovalev in a head to head sense even though he lost to Ward in a fight most felt he won.

dempsey1234 likes this.
  4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I would say that Greb is clearly ahead of a number of people ranked ahead of him on that list.

I cannot see a case for ranking Jones or Kovalev over him, even theoretically.

5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Tbf if you participated in the poll it's credibility takes a pummeling

mcvey likes this.
  6. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Some great ATG names on that list certainly...But at one time or another, Greb has beaten 6 out of the 20...and if he would have had the shot at Carpentier it would be 7 IMO. Personally I think Greb is being sold way short here, and that IBRO doesn't gain any credibility with this...That's my view...not sure of the other posters here think.

Seamus likes this.
  7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    And yet Greb beat more of the fighters on that list than any other fighter on that list. And another, Carpentier, ran from Greb. Funny that.

dpw417 likes this.
  8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Where did you place GERB,& GREN , anywhere near GREB?lol

Unforgiven likes this.
  9. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Anyone can join the IBRO they just get vain wannabees who pay $68 to join,so they can say they are members, no boxing knowledge or expertise is required as Mendoza emphatically has proven.

http://www.ibroresearch.com/membership/

10. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Carp didnt run he just chose another path to fame and fortune he was under absolutely no obligation to fight Greb. In fact he said he would fight the winner of the December 1923 fight between Greb-Tunney, and he did.

The Brisbane Courier Wed 12 Dec 1923 Page 16

TUNNEY DEFEATS GREB.

WINNER TO GET CARPENTIER.

(Australian Preen Association.)

NEW YORK, December 10. Gene Tunney retained the American lightheavyweight title by gaining the judges decision over Harry Greb in a 15 rounds bout Greb made a spectacular

rally in the last round, but Tunney had the best of the majority of the rounds. Greb angered the spectators with his rough tactics in clinches Many of Greb's blows went wild

TO MEET CARPENTIER.

Tex Rickard has announced that he is matching Tunney to meet Carpentier in the United States in January.

11. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Some line though in fairness.

"The 13 victories are crap."

12. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    :lol:

13. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I didnt realize Brisbane sent a reporter to the fight. Lol. Enjoy your free newspapers reporting on fights taking place literally on the other side of the planet. i always enjoy your biased inane spin on things. Lets just ignore that Carpentier said the same thing a year and a half earlier only to avoid Greb like the plague, rejecting the second largest offer of his career yo instead take 1/5 that amount to participate in a fight he attempted to gix in his favor only to lose to a crude unknown in Battling Siki, a guy who shared six common opponents with Greb and lost to all of them. Carpentier wanted nothing to do with Greb, he knew what he would have gotten. He got the same thing from Greb's townsman Frank Klaus and never forgot the internal bleeding Klaus' punishment caused prompting Carpentiers manager to jump into the ring in tears literally to save his life. Lol.

As for the IBRO list who on it has more wins against fighters on that list than Greb? Nobody.

14. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Being fair, who has the most losses against fighters on that list?

Would you honestly rate Greb in the top 3 of this list?

15. Combatesdeboxeo_

Combatesdeboxeo_ Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 19, 2016
    i also can cut and manipulate a phrase