Is Haymon mismanaging his fighters to causing them to lose money?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by kriszhao, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Garry Russell is doing that to himself he doesn't love the sport has gone on record saying so and sees it only as a job. It's his choice to only fight once a year. Arum tries to keep fights in-house as well but I don't see people crying about that.

Badbot and Alo2006 like this.
  2. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Yes.

Think about it... it’s “double bubble” for Al if he keeps it “in-house”.

He gets two paydays, basically.

How he got that huge lump of financial backing I will never know. It’s obvious what he is doing.

kriszhao likes this.
  3. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    It was obvious what Don King was doing and yet fighters still kept signing with him. He still signs fighters. When Jarrell Miller got busted for PEDs Sky were talking about possible replacements and Johnny Nelson mentioned one fighter and said 'He's a Don King fighter'. And I just thought 'Really? In 2019? After what he did to Tyson and so many others?'

Badbot likes this.
  4. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    U beat me to it. All this bull**** and hating on Al Haymon is ridiculous! Let's talk about Bob Arum who had nothing but stars and legends leave him for mismanaging, like Mayweather, Cotto, De La Hoya, Garcia and Pac to name a few. Who has left Haymon? Obviously the fighters are happy, but all these all of a sudden knowledgeable people would like to lead on that's not the case. Bob Arum for years kept it in house, blocking Haymon. That's how that beef between them two got started. So Haymon returned the favor when his stable of fighters became better. All this commotion because two of PBC heavyweights loss means PBC fighters are going down LOL? GTFOH! Al Haymon fighters at other weight classes is still doing well. People clearly hate Haymon because he has the best stable of fighters in boxing.

MURK20 and Pimp C like this.
  5. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    I couldn't agree more it's pathetic the amount of irrational hate the man gets. Is he perfect no but he's not the worst guy in boxing like people in this thread would lead you to believe.

Alo2006 likes this.
  6. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Exactly my point! I've never heard no Al Haymon fighters say they wasn't happy. Yet Arum top fighters left him and De La Hoya top two fighters expressed their beef with him publicly last year. Al Haymon take care of his fighters.

Pimp C likes this.
  7. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Can't we just agree that it's not good no matter who does it? If Arum does it, it's bad for boxing. If Haymon does it, same thing. Since when do promoters have fans and people picking sides lol.

8. SpeedKills

SpeedKills Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Been happening for years. Remember Quillin, he also prevented Stevenson-Kovalev.

Haymon is good at getting mediocre fighters big paydays that they wouldn’t see much of otherwise. But if your ceiling is much higher, you will have a difficult time reaching it under Haymon. Plus he does the sport no good with this management style of most reward, least risk. Moves his fighter’s far too cautiously. Losing is part of the sport, not the end of a career.

Badbot likes this.
  9. SpeedKills

SpeedKills Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Gary Russell, Vanes, Stevenson has said he was unhappy with the inactivity, similar to what Vanes complained about. There were more, but Haymon hasn’t had many fighters on the level of Pacquiao, Hoya, Mayweather who can move however they want with little repercussions.

Jamal Herring left Al Haymon for Top Rank. Citing the reason was 3 fights per year ontop of good money.

The Akbar One and Badbot like this.
  10. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I'll just leave this here:

This content is protected

The Akbar One, Wizbit1013 and Badbot like this.
  11. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Boxing aficionado Full Member

Nov 4, 2017
    True.

And Top Rank is limiting the careers of many fighters by doing so. Crawford wants to fight everybody, but Arum won't let him.

MURK20 and Pimp C like this.
  12. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Haymon is hated because he makes **** fights, more often than not.
    But his fighters are happy because they are getting paid.

*And PBC guys tend to be rather inactive.

Pimp C likes this.
  13. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Dude, people have always bitched about Arum's in-house fights, you know that. And the thing is, Arum had the talented stable for big all TR fights. Surely that's not the case anymore, but his in house fights were better than what PBC is doing.

14. The Akbar One

The Akbar One Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    If Crawford really wanted to fight everybody, he would have signed with PBC.

15. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. At the end of the day the fighter has the final say. Haymon has been overruled by his fighters plenty of times.