Is he an atg or a superb trickster?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by smithshaun, Jul 11, 2020.

1. smithshaun

smithshaun Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Much talk of fury becoming an atg in the heavyweight division for his achievements and skill set , his amazing footwork, boxing iq, head movement , engine etc beat the longest reigning champion in history in Klitschko in Germany and has now after 3 years out the ring just demolished another long reigning champion and gain the only belt he has never won, is Tyson fury an atg

Or

Is he just a 6" 9" 19 stone freak of nature who is extremely hard to hit but more importantly a bully with a background and heritage that other fighters are frightened of and are unable out talk him and soon get caught up in believing everything fury says to them is true. is it just coincidence Klitschko's worst ever performance is against fury after being totally taking out of his comfort zone for the first ever time by the master of mind games fury in every press conference and media tour meeting? How can wilder go from looking so confident against 40 plus opponents knocking them all out with ease many in the first round to looking completely gun shy and even frightened against fury, is this once again fury making them doubt their own skills through his constant verbal barrages?

Fury's resume is incredibly weak for atg but nobody can match his best two wins so is fury a true atg in the making or just an incredible intimidating king of mind games?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Jamal Perkins likes this.
  2. Little brian

Little brian Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Father time will judge them all

Scissors and Thor Odinson like this.
  3. Thor Odinson

Thor Odinson “U should have been banned for life”-some fangirl banned Full Member

Mar 25, 2020
    In the dream God told me surely/no man will ever beat Tyson Fury

lepinthehood and DirtyOldTown like this.
  4. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Bit of both tbh. Best of his generation. Not sure hes atg worthy basically because unlike most atg,s hes picked and chosen his fights too much. To his credit its been the best in the division. But its harder than people think holding s belt year sfter year taking on all challenges even guys that aren,t great who usually come in to fight in their best ever condition looking to become world champions.

Hes certainly good tho. Its just when you see videos of dillon whyte looking terrible in thd gym you realise the competitions not all that great. They all lack genuine skill. Even klitchko.

Dont think fury would have had a chance against guys like tyson, holmes and ali etc even with ghe size difference. They had too much genuine skill and different looks than the guys today. But who knows. I,d say on the way to being a great for today just doesnt compare well with the guys thst came before but your never sure how the size difference equalises that. Size does count. Still reckon he lags behind in genuine skill in comparison. I dont mean his movement etc...which is great for a big man. Just things like having different shots...executing them. Knowing whst hes doing in a ring etc. Setting up shots etc.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  5. Col Mortimer

Col Mortimer The question isn't indiscreet.The answer could be Full Member

Jul 25, 2010
    So what's your exact take on him ?

You've stated a case either way apart from a negative on his resume. ( Includes two world champions)

My opinion is.. no fighter worth his salt will be intimidated by verbal bullying in a build up to a championship fight . Especially when they happen to be the defending world champion....

So yeah, I think he's got a good chance of being an ATG

6. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    He has sought out, taken on and beaten two of the three greatest rivals of his day. Regardless of what happens next, he will probably do enough to be in the top 20, and if he beats Joshua, he will be in the top ten.

Imo.

POST SCRIPT:

Though their ratings are filled with anomalies and hardly canonical, I took a look at Boxrec's all time ratings, a notably, they have him just about where I do, at #15.

Furey likes this.
  7. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    As with Jon Jones and Anderson Silva in MMA, fail a drug test and you’re excluded from any all time greatest conversation.

Robney likes this.
  8. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    A lot depends on what Fury does with the rest of his career.

Two stand out wins like that are important. But he doesn’t have the names on his resume to back it up. He needs atleast another 2-3 big fight wins to push for ATG status.

9. smithshaun

Oct 20, 2013
    I personally think his size is the deciding factor if he was 6"3 17 stone I don't think he would have won a world title, but then again his movement and timing would probably have been even better, I take your point about opponents not being influenced by pre fight talk but that's my point I think fury is in a league if his own when it comes to intimidation, being told constantly that your past achievements mean nothing the opponent's you have beaten are all useless being told you cant him or you are fighting a true fighting man over and over again and in a more and more aggressive manner the closer the fight gets I don't care who you are but when someone like fury at 6" 9 and almost 20 stone and talks like that is putting it on you before a huge fight you are going to have some doubts and it's going to effect your performance, he completely done a number of Klitschko mentally and wilder.

10. smithshaun

Oct 20, 2013
    Look what he did mentally to David haye!! At the time haye had the biggest mouth in boxing and without doubt the biggest ego, ten minutes into a press conference with a young fury and haye the most arrogant man in boxing is completely and utterly Lost for words and basically shitting himself at the thought of fighting fury and ultimately pulls out of the fight with a fake injury, whether people want to admit that or not that is the truth, David haye was the crusierweight unified champion and heavyweight champion and would have beaten fury most likely at the time because fury was still raw and nowhere near the fighter he is today but even then with all his past achievements haye completely **** himself and my point is fury is a better intimidater than figther!

Thor Odinson and lepinthehood like this.
  11. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    vlad
    and chisora
    his two best wins
    wilder goes on to do absolute nothing
    hes been exposed
    ortiz showed you can box and move the c u n t

12. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    It’s just far too early to say.

Wizbit1013, EJC83 and Heisenberg like this.
  13. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    ATG is difficult given this is one of the worst era's in a division full of puddings but he is certainly an inspirational legend now after his comeback.

I do think he will dispatch the limited Tony Dosh PPV with ease and hopefully he can avoid the same shyte about Calzaghe's CV before he enters the Hall of Fame.

He will also need to beat Usyk along with a hungry live contender, such as DDD, before he goes, for people to give him the credit he deserves.

Mr T Fury will be the name most talked about in this era given his achievements in the ring and defeating his demons out of the ring.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    channy, EJC83 and Here's Johnny like this.
  14. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Not sure about the fake injury thing, he had a shoulder reconstruction. The only thing fake about Haye was when he constantly sold the line about being in the best shape of his life when the reality was that he had about 3 legitimate career ending injuries in the space of a few years which he papered over.

Also, I don’t believe Haye would have beaten Fury, even that greener version. Fury would have done to him what he did to Chisora twice.

15. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Not until he avenges that big stiff plumber loss.