Is Hector Camacho overrated?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Devon, Jan 18, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Agree.

2. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Shows how easy it is to spin a story. Try Carnera next ...

mark ant likes this.
  3. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    DLH fought a faded shopworn version of Camacho at 147lbs in 1997. As stated before were looking at Hector at or near his peak. 130lbs and 135 up to about 1987. Camacho had pop at 130.

Thread Stealer likes this.
  4. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Why would you say he lost all his prime fights? He turned pro in 1981 and didn't lose for 10 years and even that one was disputed. He beat Ramirez, Rosario, Davis, Boza Edwards, Limon among others. He actually made Howard Davis look slow which is hard to do. The same Davis that got a draw with Meldrick Taylor.

JBoog89 likes this.
  5. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I didn't add on he missed the boat and lost out on many big fights against prime guys. He was skilled and could have been great. He questioned himself after Rosario. Ramirez was good but Camacho had the speed to beat him and the confidence at that point in I think 1984.. Rosario? Davis? A little past his prime. Yeah he drew with Taylor a year before but was knocked out in one by McGirt a year later . Boza? Not really an established lightweight. He drew with Terrance Alli in the fight prior to Hector. Limon and 130? Could have beaten mostly anyone at 130 I admit that.. I would have loved had he stayed there and seen him fight Chavez and Mayweather. I think Mayweather had a bad style for Hector. That straight right down the middle.. I think Hector would have won, but Mayweather had something good about him.

ETM likes this.
  6. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Fair points.

PernellSweetPea likes this.
  7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Rosario made Camacho look very bad and nerly knocked him out while Chavez completely dominated Rosario and Camacho, Haugen was also destroyed by Chavez.

8. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
  9. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    In some ways, yes. The best thing about Hector was his speed. His ring IQ was good, not as high as some other fighters, and maybe it caught up with him as he got older. Also the drugs probably messed up his best years. He was lucky to fight Howard Davis jr. in 1987, instead of 1983, that could have been a loss for him.

10. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I never liked him. Still dont. But I do not think he was overrated. He was tearing people up in his prime then something changed within him after the Rosario fight. Maybe he realized that he could be hurt bad and that changed him up. But I do not think he was overrated. He would have beaten so many guys in the last 20 + yrs it's not even funny

ETM and Smokin Bert like this.
  11. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    He was slightly overrated because in essence he was always going to be just below the true elite/world beaters between 130-147....the guys who beat him as he became over the hill.....were elites ......he would never have beaten them even in his prime........nor Whittaker or Arguello at 135 or Nelson at 130 or pryor at 140 imho.

He managed to beat guys like Ramirez, Rosario. Pazienze and Haughan and Howard Davis......these guys were a level below.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    mark ant likes this.
  12. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    During his relatively short prime (1982-1987) he was a fairly complete fighter.

- Exceptional hand and foot speed
    -Great defense
    - Decent punching power (the punches you don't see coming often inflict the most damage)
    - Fearless aggression when needed (At least until the 5th round of the Rosario fight).
    -Intuitive ring intelligence
    - Charismatic personality

I really don't judge him on his big name wins against Mancini , Duran and Leonard when both he and his opponents were out of their primes. I suppose you could overrated him if you take those wins out of context.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Jamal Perkins and ETM like this.
  13. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Camacho didn't look bad against Rosario. It was a tough fight that he got hurt and came through it to win. His style seemed to change after that fight but he beat an excellent fighter who was also a champion.

14. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    I partly agree though Camacho probably dominates Nelson at 130 and would have been a favorite over Arguello. That would have been a bad style matchup for Alexis. Whitaker/Camacho? At their bests? Like watching paint dry but its still a tossup

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Camacho didn`t throw or landed even nearly as many punches on Rosario as Chavez did and he was much easier to hit against Edwin than Chavez was despite all his movement.