Is Hopkins the greatest fighter in terms of longevity?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Webbiano, Mar 9, 2013.

1. MagnaNasakki

MagnaNasakki Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Well, only Campillo has done it, so it can't be that easy, and Bernard made it look easy. Didn't even go down, unlike Gabriel.

2. the cobra

the cobra Awesomeizationism! Full Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Yeah, Foreman managed something similar so it must not be all that impressive. I mean, if Foreman can do something like that, anybody can, right? It's not like George was a freak or anything.

Cloud has skills. He may be poor by the standard of the world level, but he is at the standard all the same.

3. MagnaNasakki

Jan 21, 2006
    Old Archie beat some good fighters and some **** fighters.

Fact of the matter is, you don't reach the level Cloud did without some chops. He can box, and he can punch. If it were that easy, more guys would do. Given he's one of like, 600 in history, its still impressive.

At 48 years old, you ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BEAT FIGHTERS LIKE THAT.

4. Abdullah

Abdullah Boxing Junkie banned

Dec 2, 2008
    He is definitely in the conversation.

5. sweet_scientist

sweet_scientist Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Most other 'best old fighters' usually bank on their power to stay relevant at those advanced years.

It's pretty amazing that Hopkins does it through technical prowess instead.

That said, Victor Galindez would have retired him in his 30's :good

6. the cobra

Jun 30, 2008
    Take away Shannon's dreads and you've depleted him of any and all superpowers. That's the key. Most people don't know that, ya see? Cloud would never figure that out, he's screwed, but B-Hop would know because B-HOP KNOWS ALL!

So it is actually you who is the one who is doing the sucking of it! haha!

HaHaHaHAHAHA! :twisted:

Boxed Ears likes this.
  7. the cobra

Jun 30, 2008
    This is a good point.

8. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    :lol:

9. Smashgar

Smashgar McMustache Nuthugger Full Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Sure Cloud and Pascal aren't ATG material, but then neither were Rinaldi or Durelle. These are good, winning, ranked, relevant, beltholders that Hopkins is humiliating.

10. MagnaNasakki

Jan 21, 2006
    This is about my perspective. Archie's old man resume isn't really all that much better, and Hopkins is still winning as he approaches ancient athletic age. This is years past the age Moore started taking on journeymen and getting his ass kicked by a young Clay.

11. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004
    What impresses me most about Hopkins is how is boxing IQ extends beyond what he can do inside the squared circle. His complete understanding of his own limitations, and the ability to dissect those of would-be foes is amazing, and he is great at selecting opponents where they can create a specific game plan, that oftentimes works for him without the need for reverting to a plan B or change in tactics.

It is an absolute marvel.

12. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I'm in awe. Just watched it now and scored it 9-3.

Yeah cloud should have lost to campillo but lets not forget that Hopkins is 48 and was quite a big underdog.

Cloud was top 5 and a title holder. Hopkins deserves massive praise imo because he has made history again. If he can unify with cleverly that would be a huge achievement. He's never gonna beat Dawson, well atleast Dawson before the ward fight which could have damaged him a bit.

I mean we're talking about a man outlasting men a decade younger than him people who didnt enter their prime until after Hopkins was declared old.

I think the best thing that could happen for Hopkins is Pascal taking Dawson in a rematch and Hopkins taking cleverly then the two winners unifying.

Whatever happens though he is a living legend. An absolute fuking legend.

13. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Moore is #1 due to consistency; Duran deserves an honourable mention as he beat arguably a world ranked fighter in Marcel in 1970 and Castro in 1997. You then have Foreman's amazing comeback. But after yeah Hopkins is as good as it gets, surpassing anything Robinson achieved after their 40th Birthday.

14. MagnaNasakki

Jan 21, 2006
    Moore fought a ton of clubfighters at this age. Hopkins is just as consistent, at a higher level.

I honestly dont believe its a contest. After 44, Hopkins old man cv shits on Moore's.

15. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Thing is we take number of fights + age it levels itself out and I still find myself more impressed by Archie.