Is it time for Matchroom to go to smaller venues?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Mazza, Nov 13, 2023.

It is time for Matchroom to go to smaller venues?

1. Yes

91.7%
  2. No

8.3%
  1. Mazza

Mazza New Member banned Full Member

Nov 11, 2023
    Since the DAZN move their crowds have clearly been much smaller, and looks like it's getting worse.

I know Eddie Hearn likes the 'look and feel' of the big venues.

But really it's not a good look to be curtaining off so many big venues, I think it'd be better to have a packed out small arena.

The fight at the weekend in Newcastle was shocking and a new low, looked like their was only about 30 people left in the crowd for the main event! I think it's time for Eddie to swallow his pride and admit defeat to keeping the big venues.

2. Degale

Degale Active Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Yep , leaving sky has definitely effected ticket sales and hype.

Some my mates who are quite casual fans never talk about matchroom shows anymore unless it’s AJ.

3. Bfcad

Bfcad Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2022
    No, definitely not, I hope they keep their delusional outlook booking these large arenas. Me & my mates have never had it so good, almost every show they have done has ended up on seat filler sites as they haven't come close to selling out.

Wood vs Lara 1 in Nottingham is the only show any of us have paid money for, the rest have all been free giveaways and collectively we've done half a dozen shows this year - only need beer money for a night out now, long may it continue

chrisfinch and KingKO like this.
  4. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    This is a massive factor. Sky sports news, soccer Saturday etc gets the eye balls and having it on the tele and not an app or a random channel makes it extremely niche.

5. Bfcad

Dec 10, 2022
    Careful, you will stir up the village idiots - according to them 'no one watches sky sports anymore innit'

tee_birch and Bob Flaps like this.
  6. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    No as there are not enough good smaller venues for TV. Peple's do not buy tickets for the these smaller shows based on whether they say said the show advertised on sky sports.

Boxxer do not sell more tickets being on sky sports.

DramaShow likes this.
  7. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Promotional wars aside, I love small hall shows. Brilliant to go to, doesn't make it a bad TV experience. If they had a good domestic dust-up at York Hall every week, I'd be very happy.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    Holler, Here's Johnny, caine and 3 others like this.
  8. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Did you see any Boxxer shows before they were on Sky?

They clearly do although they have squandered the chance to be a lot bigger on more than a few occasions

namnitodf, Mazza and Bfcad like this.
  9. Bfcad

Dec 10, 2022
    So promotion, advertisement and visibility of your product don't help sell it?! Brilliant stuff. Do you offer crash courses in Business & Marketing? Where do we sign up

Mazza likes this.
  10. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Didn’t they put that show on in a hotel breakfast room recently? Complete with hot buffet self service tables in the background.

They’re not going to get much smaller than that.

Frankie Blue Eyes and Bfcad like this.
  11. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Does Frank have the copper box locked down? Great boxing venue and matchroom should do shows there. A Packed out copperbox is great

Wizbit1013, Mazza and Bfcad like this.
  12. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Boxxer isn’t run by Hearn. Shalom is a pale imitation. Hearn is a great salesman but does far better on a mainstream platform

13. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Not when the show is driven by fighters selling tickets or the hard core boxing fan.

The standard sky sports viewer doesn't see an advert for a next gen show and thinks "I want to be there"

I used to work in marketing and it does not matter how much promotion a niche product gets, it still remains niche.

14. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Doesn't matter when you are getting a healthy site fee to negate costs otherwise spent.

15. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    I meant Boxxer do not sell more tickets than matchroom even though boxer has Sky Sports.