Is it too early to compare Lomachenko to all time greats?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Apr 13, 2019.

1. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    It was a good KO but I don’t think it will be ko of the year. Props to Crolla for giving maximum effort.

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Its KO over the year as of mid April. That is the type of KO that makes you cheer and then hope the other guy is moving a few seconds later.

3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    The spectacular thing about Loma is that he is far better than any fighter in history after they got to te 15th fight mark, name me the person who was the 15th fight on any great fighter`s record from the past and Loma`s record would trounce that opponent and any of the previous 14 on whichever fighter you choose, Loma is special.

4. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I think welter might be a bridge too far, but I think he could knock out Khan if he ever became champ again, which doeren`t seem likely, a lightweight knocked Khan out.

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Loma would easily have beaten anyone Manny fought when he was around 31 though.

6. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    You might want to take a close look at Jimmy Britt's record:
    http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/11029

Jackomano and roughdiamond like this.
  7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Brook could take punches of a solid hitting middle like GGG and he`s stronger than Loma, he`s also a big welter, who is actually too big for the weight now, he also has a much better reach than Loma too.

8. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    noone compares a novice to atgs unless they are selling something falsely.

9. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Yes

To be a true great you have to beat some great opponents, or dominate good ones for a long time. Unfortunately, Loma doesn't really have the chance for this at the moment. Skill wise and talent, he is up there with anyone.

The potential of winning against Garcia is huge, both for his resume and to see how his skills stack at the highest level.

I also definitely think that Loma should have fought Berchelt at 130. Maybe he could move down, as weight isn't an issue?

Any way, I can't say Loma is great, until he has some great opposition or ridiculous domination. I'd like to, but I can't.

Also, people unnecessarily denigrating Lomachenko are probably annoyed by his incessant fan boys, claiming he does things 'never before seen' like effing Houdini. I've been guilty of it too.

10. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Interesting.

Is Britt one of those boxers whose record is unfortunately incomplete?

Because a TKO over Kid Lavigne in his third bout sounds incredible.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think I'll decide if he can or not when/if I see him at 140, 135 looks big for him still, although he's dominating

12. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    He's the real deal, no doubt about it. I'd really like to see him establish himself as a great at 135, rather than rush to move up right now. He could be the best lightweight since Pernell Whitaker.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    No,he ticks all the boxes for me.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  14. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Britt was actually the subject of a trivia question of mine (solved by old Burt!) way back in 2010:
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/took-fewest-fights-to-meet-5-world-champs.262161/

… and the exact same question you raise here, was asked back then - which I commented on in the last post of the thread. The link in that post unfortunately doesn't work anymore - but if I remember correctly, it was an article about how highly regarded Britt was already as an amateur. Therefore (I speculated) his transition to the pro ranks may have been followed with keen interest. And that as a consequence, even his earliest pro fights may have been covered. MAY!

But as I concluded then… we of course have no way of knowing for sure.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    roughdiamond likes this.
  15. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Co-sign.

It’s a little too premature for any mythical rankings and such but as far as his qualities as a fighter and how great he is at his craft he’s special. He’s one of the most talented and skilled boxers I’ve ever seen.

Brixton Bomber, roughdiamond and Jel like this.