Is Jack Dempsey the most overrated fighter of all time

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SuzieQ49, Jul 16, 2015.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    He's not overated by Klompton,Seamus, or yourself.

2. latineg

latineg user of dude wipes Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    lmao, the perceptions of Dempsey are quantum in this thread,

they are ever changing from one post to the next

he comes with a extra aura as history has recorded him with a "Tyson-like" mystique whereby he can overcome all opponents put in front of him because he did it on a WORLD stage at that time in a way that traveled far and fast to many places all over the world in a way that had never been reported on in such a detailed way in mass print before that time,,, naturally the guy is going to grow larger than his reality,,,,

ascended likes this.
  3. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    tunney - Dempsey was the perfect blend of boxer and puncher.
    Arcel - Duran was the closest thing I ever saw to Jack Dempsey.
    Langford - Dempsey is the greatest hwt I have ever seen.

So here you have two of Boxings ATG fighters and probably its best trainer and they all see the same thing. Add to this Bimstein, Stillman, Morgan, Hayes among many others.

Reinhardt likes this.
  4. Arminius

Arminius Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I think Dempsey is easily top ten. He is presumed not as good as others because fighters in his day were lighter than they were in later years. He beat good fighters of that day including Sharkey, Firpo, Gibbens and Carpentier. I also am pretty confident that the boxer's in Dempsey's time were in much better condition than today's fighters.

5. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    At his peak, the real deal. But he does have some stinker losses on the record.

6. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012
    Only a Murican could post such irony, and be completely unaware of it.

After reading the first 2,000 posts of yours " talking up " Marciano, most sane people would make an appointment with the dentist for root c**** treatment without anaesthetic.

:rofl:rofl

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  7. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Burt...I couldn't have said it better...

8. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Dempsey came along at a time when sports in America were enjoying a boom. The largest paid attendance prior to the 1920's seems to have been in roughly the 40,000 range. Not only boxing, but other sports saw the roof blown off in terms of popularity and interest.

Why? Radio--increasing newsreel coverage of sporting events--increased urbanization--and newspapers which fed into and inflamed this increased interest

Dempsey put on a great show in the ring and was also a charismatic man outside the ring, unlike successors like Louis and Marciano.

He also aged well and remained in the public spotlight after his career was over. Babe Ruth just got fat, and died young. Dempsey remained the image of the former athlete into old age. He looked the part of the guy who used to be champ and remained a celebrity running one of the must stops for anyone visiting New York.

So he remained a front and center celebrity for decades.

With time, and the passing of his own generation, it is natural the questions are asked of him which are asked of all champions.

Did he fight the best of his time? Did he defeat the best of his time? How good were those guys?

For much of his lifetime, many folks--given the racial climate of the time--didn't care that he never fought Wills or other top black fighters.

I recall my old history professor commenting on "revisionism" during a lecture many decades ago. He said history is always about revisionism as each generation asks fresh questions of the past and therefore looks at the past differently than previous generations had, with this process unending. History never freezes in place.

9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Wise man. I actually copied this and posted it on my facebook wall. Hope you don't mind.

10. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    It may be valid to say that Jack Dempsey is unduly rated above some of his successors. But he was also more than just a boxer or sports figure. He was in many ways like Muhammad Ali or Michael Jordan in that he was a symbol of a generation and a trail blazer who brought change to his chosen profession. While these things don't necessarily make someone the "best" at what they do, I can certainly see how they'd have bearing on one's perception of them and hence leading to being placed on a higher tier of greatness, rightfully or wrongfully. Sometimes extraordinary people have that impact on history and the public, and Jack Dempsey was extraordinary.

11. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Dempsey like Johnson before him and like Louis, Marciano and Ali after was one of hwt Boxings all time talents. Each of these fighters would stand out in any era.

Babe Ruth TODAY is still considered by baseball historians as one of if not the best player of all time. So it's not just the spirit of the roaring 20's that put Dempsey and Ruth's name in the spotlight. Both were all time great athletes within their respective sports.

The main reason for historical revisionism is to sell books.

12. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Babe Ruth never had to compete in the professional ranks against black pitchers, other black hitters. The competition was completely watered down.
    I would not rate Ruth as high as other greats who played in much more competitive eras like Mickey Mantle Willie Mays Ted Williams

13. martinburke

martinburke New Member Full Member

May 10, 2011
    Ruth played at least 19 games against what were basically Negro League all star teams. It's a pretty safe bet that those Negro Leaguers felt as if they had something to prove and played as hard as they could.

Of the 19 games, we have box scores of sixteen, and these are Ruth's stats:

AB - 55
    1B - 11
    2B - 2
    3B - 0
    HR - 12
    BA - .455
    SA - 1.145

Negro League third baseman and Hall of Famer Judy Johnson said, "“We could never seem to get him out no matter what we did.”

ETM and Reinhardt like this.
  14. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It is like this.

Until comparatively recently he was often put forward as the greatest heavyweight of all time, and indeed one of the greatest fighters of all time, and he was over rated then.

Today we have a clique of observers who have become so obsessed with certain flaws in his legacy, that they have thrown out the baby with the bathwater, and lost sight of why he gained such esteem in the first place.

Reinhardt likes this.
  15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Not according to :
    Nat Fleischer no4 . 1971
    Sam Langford no1
    Nat Loubet no2 .1975
    Charley Rose no3
    Monte Cox no5 .1991
    Bert Sugar no 1. 1991
    Gene Tunney no 1.
    Ray Arcel joint no1. with Louis
    ESPN Readers Poll no1. 2007
    Nigel Collins 1997.no9
    Boxing Insider. no8
    John Durant. no3 1976
    Bill Brennan WBA President no3. 1978
    Big Book Of Boxing Readers Poll no 4.1978
    Arthur Harris.Boxing Scene no3.1992
    Gilbert Odd no5.1985
    Steve Farhood no6.1997
    Herb Goldman no7 .1997
    BBC Sports no5.2004
    IBRO no5.2004
    Richard O Brien Senior Editor of SI no6 .2009
    Max Schmeling no 1.

I expect there are more, but I thought these would do for a start.
    I'll add one more.
    Burt Bienstock!

swagdelfadeel likes this.