Is Kovalev mentally strong ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Ph33rknot, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    personally i think Canelo fighting Kov is crazy but it seems after Ward Kov is not the same fighter was he affected that much by the loss

2. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Physically he's way past his prime but mentally strong? Hell yeah he is. He's always been very mentally strong indeed. Just look at everything he's been through not just only in his career but also the massive sacrifices he had to make just to forge one for himself which have been way more than most.

Regarding the mental strength and character he's had to display between the ropes

Stephen ''Breadman'' Edwards

''I don’t think Kovalev is as mentally weak as the critics think. He has had too much adversity in his career for that to be true. He had a tough decision vs Darnell Boone as a prospect and he came back and smoked him. He killed a man and he kept his killer instinct. He fought Pascal, Hopkins and Cleverly in their hometowns and dominated each fight. He lost to Ward twice and came back and won a title. Lost that title by KO to Alvarez then came back and boxed his ears. In his last fight he was visibly hurt vs an undefeated Yarde and scored a big late KO.''

''Kovalev's done it the hard way'' --Andre Ward

He's referring to Kovalev being a road warrior fighting his opponents in their backyards where everything is stacked against him

Dre praising Crawford for fighting Ricky Burns on the road

Timestamped

This content is protected

Kathy Duva on the turmoil in Kovalev's camp going into the rematch against Ward and how it affected him mentally. He's very mentally strong but he's still a human being for goodness sake

Timestamped

This content is protected

All this talk about Kovalev being mentally weak is and has always been absolutely ridiculous

kirk, POTUS, pincai and 4 others like this.
  3. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014

In a nutshell, nothing really much more to say.

kirk, pincai, CST80 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Boon

Boon Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Kovalev may have "quit" against Ward, but it was not after just taking a single shot or because he is a paper tiger. Trust me, Kovalev, along with AJ, has a true fighting spirit in him and neither are not show ponies or clown-men.

Against Ward, Kovalev found a guy that was much more difficult to hit, who refused point blank to wilt under his power and pressure, who was constantly turning him, making him miss, unsettling him, showing him a dogged determination that he had never seen before, someone who was not only hitting back but hitting where it hurt the most, legally to the body, Eventually over 2 fights, yeah Kovalev's spirit was depleted. He just gave up on himself there. He had lost his will and folded over knowing the ref was coming in to stop it and he did'nt do a damn thing about it.

Kovalev quit no more than AJ did against Ruiz. You may find that I have just contradicted myself, but I don't believe so. Both gave a tremendous effort and in the end it just was not their night and they knew it. To them, and to some of us too, what point was there to go on? To get knocked down again or knocked unconscious if you are AJ? To get staggered all over the ring and probably do a funky dance if you are Kovalev? No, they had given enough in their respective night's in the ring. They both had tried enough. I am not in favour of the 'go out on your shield' fan-club. They did what they could and clocked out at a time where to me, I felt they had fought enough in their respective bouts. They both lived to fight another day.

Rumsfeld, KeedCubano and Serge like this.
  5. Serge

Jul 21, 2009

:thumbsup:

kirk and Odins beard like this.
  6. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Lets shoot him in the head then ask him

Click click *Bang*

"Kovalev are you mentally strong?"

"Kovalev"

"Kovalev..?"

"Get up man, walk it off"

"....."

"Yo...?"

Serge and gdm like this.
  7. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    He showed incredible grit and determination against Yarde. Reminded me of Mosley fights in his 30s, when he would rise to the occasion. I like Kov more now than he was a disrespectful git in his prime.

kirk and Serge like this.
  8. KeedCubano

KeedCubano Read my posts in a Jamaican accent Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    I reckon Gatti would've

9. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    he is one of the most mentally strong boxers around.

10. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    as always man you deliver. You are the best. Are you sure you are gay??

Serge likes this.
  11. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Thanks

:lol: I'm sure I'm not gay

12. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I’m glad man and it’s really good to know not all gypsies are gay .

Serge likes this.
  13. Dirsspaardis

Dirsspaardis Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Me thinks your logic is flawed, sir.
    Surely a couple of gypsies must be straight for new ones to be made.

Serge likes this.
  14. Dirsspaardis

Dirsspaardis Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2017
    He’s one of the toughest SOB’s in the game right now.

Serge likes this.
  15. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    :lol:

gdm likes this.