Is Lomachenko overrated?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Oct 18, 2020.

1. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    From what I've heard, he got exposed last night.

Has he always been overrated?

rodney likes this.
  2. Boon

Boon Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 2, 2015
    Yes, very overrated. He'd be lucky to even win an Intercity Golden Gloves competition today.

He got exposed!

rodney likes this.
  3. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    He was touted by many as the greatest boxer since Muhammad Ali and the greatest ever by some. He's definitely overrated.

But I'm a semi-casual who doesn't particularly like watching tiny little men smaller than my grandmother fighting. For me, there's the heavyweights and then there's the rest.

4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Maybe a little, but he was certainly one of the two or three best in the world. He is a generational legacy fighter. Next chapter will be interesting. Anyone think he will pack it up?

5. mrtony80

mrtony80 Likes thick chicks Full Member

Sep 2, 2009
  6. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Certainly overrated when people were saying he’d beat certain previous ATG’s.
    Not overrated in the modern day though he’s a very good fighter.

DON1, Scissors, Greg Price99 and 5 others like this.
  7. MrFoFody

MrFoFody Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Only by his rabid fans and their delusional atg level claims...

IsaL, Pimp C, 22JM and 6 others like this.
  8. eltirado

eltirado Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 31, 2013
    If Loma revenges his two losses (he might end up catching more Ls instead), but if he can pull it off he still an ATG in my book

aaalbert likes this.
  9. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    There was some real over the top hype, like he already belonged with the greatest fighters ever, but that was a minority. Most just recognised him as one of the greatest talents of this generation and someone looking for challenges.

I think that evaluation of him still stands. It mostly feel that Lopez showed to be better than most (including me) thought.

And Loma will probably feel that he won 4 of the last 6 rds and that he will start faster in a rematch now that he knows Lopez. Lopez on the other hand will gain great confidence from this and know that he hurt Loma like probably no one has done before. So both have a case for doing better in a rematch.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  10. Alexandrow Vids

Alexandrow Vids Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Not overrated but he is also not an ATG and never will be.

11. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Alot of the euro based fighters seem to be hyped up more on this forum than others. GGG Kovalev and others had massive fanbases. Over on the boxing scene it's actually more support towards the American fighters. There's alot of crowing going on over there this morning. And it's aimed at poor Lomachenko misfortune.

12. MrFoFody

MrFoFody Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    I'll tell you on thing, he's no Roberto Duran.
    Comparisons and claims as being better and beating these atgs can be put to rest...

Reinhardt, IsaL and HellSpawn86 like this.
  13. Brujo

Brujo Member Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Cartoonishly overrated. Couple of losses against a couple meh opponents, got planted on his ass by a terrible Linares, and people were trying to rank him above the likes of Crawford.

14. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Yes. There were people on here picking him over a prime Duran and even Sugar Ray Robinson. I like Loma, but this loss has put his fanboys in their place amazingly well. It's insane how an aesthetic style can get you so far with fans.

15. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    It wouldn't surprise me. He is getting older, at a lower weight class, and has had a lot of experience in the Boxing world from a young age. To me, Loma seems like a confidence fighter who fully brings out his best with a slight feeling of arrogance over the opposition - which is what makes him so good. This loss would have really knocked him for six mentally. I don't think he will actually pack up though.

McGrain and Mendoza like this.