Is Lomachenko overrated?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by monaim, May 23, 2023.

1. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    I think you need to learn how to engage in civil disagreement. No one is attacking you ... relax. You always can back down, but it's important that we all be able to describe the logic driving our opinions.

I've laid out mine for you above. As in, Loma's career performances (irrespective of the decisions) do not match what you'd expect for the epic talent his fans introduced him as being. You're saying he's one of the most talented guys you've ever seen. Based on what?

ALEX FORRESTER likes this.
  2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    He is this month.

3. ad4m88

ad4m88 Active Member Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Literally every fight apart from 4 have been for world championships that's crazy definitely not overrated and he should only really have one loss

kiwi_boxer likes this.
  4. fenoc1

fenoc1 Active Member Full Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Same reason people like Floyd struggled against Maidana and Castillo. The guy is human as is Loma.

CooperKupp likes this.
  5. Lesion of Doom

Jan 21, 2015
    I hope you aren’t comparing Loma to Mayweather as a talent. They are not even close.

But agreed Floyd having hard time with Castillo is equivalent to one of the 3x Loma struggles. (He was shopworn by Maidana.) People can have a rough night. It’s the 3x thing that undoes the case for Loma as an ATG, combined with a lack of great wins.

6. CooperKupp

CooperKupp Jokic For MVP Full Member

Aug 28, 2022
    Put it this way… if that was Loma in there against Castillo in the first fight and Maidana in that first fight…. Loma would have lost on the official scorecards because NO WAY IN HELL would those judges have been as lenient to Loma as they were Floyd. Ellerbe must have given them a pretty hefty envelope! No doubt about it.

Mayweather got gifts in both those decisions. ESPECIALLY against Castillo in fight #1.

JOKER and fenoc1 like this.
  7. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    He lost Catillo 1 for sure. I will say though at least Floyd gave them both rematches as he didn't like people saying he lost. I doubt Haney has the same attitude he likes the idea of trying to be like Floyd but the reality of it is too much he would rather just cry on social media than man up and do whats right.

8. BM237

BM237 Member banned Full Member

May 25, 2023
    Never truly lost. He is underrated

9. fenoc1

fenoc1 Active Member Full Member

Oct 10, 2009
    I'm not comparing the talent I'm comparing the situation (close fights). BTW Loma is ridiculously talented albeit just doesn't have the frame to move up through the weights

10. CleneloAnavarez

CleneloAnavarez Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2021
    I don't count the Salido "loss" since he had done enough to win, even without counting all the fouling.

Lomachenko suffers from mediocre corner advice. He would never remove his father from his corner.

I believe he could have easily won the fight against Lopez and at least received a draw against Haney by simply having a better cornerman who would adjust Loma's pace.

11. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Ban. YDKSAB.

He's underrated because of "people" like you.

12. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    :)

Loma dared to be great, but he is fighting much bigger men. He should have stayed at 126 and done there what GGG did in the middleweight class.

fenoc1 likes this.
  13. MismatchHypejob

MismatchHypejob Active Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2022
    He has outlined this very clearly and in this thread:

14. Lesion of Doom

Jan 21, 2015

No, he didn’t. That post is about wins and losses (and a bunch of nonsense); the relevant question is why he struggled with his performances, irrespective of scoring.

15. GGGunbeatable

GGGunbeatable Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    He has great skills but with these three losses he can't be compared to real ATGs because he's too old now and boxing is a dead, corrupt sport so he won't likely have 40-50 fights against other future ATGs and upcoming prospects.

Even though his last fight seem to be a robbery (haven't still watched it), other people had him losing so it might have not been really one sided like for example the times Manny was robbed against Bradley or Horn.