Is punching power the most overrated attribute in boxing and are devastating punchers a myth?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Luis Fernando, Sep 15, 2018.

Is punching power the most overrated attribute in boxing?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    86.1%
  1. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Yes, the way he casually refers to JY as a bum. :shakehead:

2. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    In the HWs history hardest hitters are those have suffered the most frightening defeats:

Liston v Ali

Foreman v Ali

Shavers v Holmes (when Holmes went down Shavers felt like WC)

Tyson v Douglas

Wlad v Sanders

Wilder v Fury

and others.

Only power ain't enough.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    spravedlivylev, pacas and ikrasevic like this.
  3. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Size is king in the heavyweight division. To overcome size you need atleast descent size together with skills speed stamina chin etc.

Usyk is small by modern standard but not midget level like some old heavyweights. And he is definitely the most skilled of all time for his size. Fury is another example. The most skilled of all time for his size. Mike Tyson the most skilled of all time for his size in the HW division.

4. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I once realized during a fight called Klitschko VS Ibragimov that not only is punching power a myth...but punching itself is a myth.

5. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Even Axel Schulz couldn't really be called a bum. If he wanted an actual bum that Foreman struggled to dent he could have mentioned Lou Savarese.

This content is protected

6. Redbeard7

Redbeard7 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2022
    It's an overrated attribute at the highest level (and can even be a hinderance) but if I wanted to be a boxer with otherwise the same innate abilities as I have and could pick one attribute to be elite in, it would be one-punch KO power. Phenomenal power gives you a chance in any fight, even if your other attributes aren't high level. Having a great chin may just make you a durable punching bag and even if you manage to wear the opponent down, you'll take hellacious punishment in doing it. Boone beat Stevenson with minimal damage received because he had one great attribute: elite one-punch KO power.

7. Mickc

Mickc Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Punching Power is part and parcel of boxing and is known as the EQUALISER for good reason,one punch can neutralise a massive points deficit as well as it also allowing an injured fighter to grab a win from a certain defeat .

Hotep Kemba and Toney F*** U like this.
  8. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    The story of David Tua's career.

9. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    So the ability to potentially take your opponent out at any point of the fight is overrated? No, there’s a reason every boxer wants it.

des3995 and Mickc like this.
  10. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    What a dumb thread so if you fail stop a certain boxer, even if you have proven power at world level your overrated and feather fisted ? That's probably one of the lowest IQ comments I've ever seen.

Theres always going to be a boxer who has a certain style that troubles you, or someone who has a granite chin, or simply a fighter who chooses to fight to survive 12 rounds like Bonecrusher did with Tyson, theres too many intangibles overall.

Try taking a flush punch off Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, then call them feather fisted when you wake up if your lucky enough to be alive.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  11. Levook

Levook Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Usyk is my favorite fighter out there right now, but he's by no means the most skilled for his size, but this is all opinion of course. You say it like it's a fact - do you agree that this is just your opinion?

12. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Here's another example of a feather fisted so-called knockout artist failing to stop his bum opponent.

Here he is again!

Are there any genuine KO artists in the history of the division?

cross_trainer, ikrasevic and Levook like this.
  13. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I guess punching power is as mythical as having a granite chin.

cross_trainer likes this.
  14. fencik45

fencik45 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    liston was the biggest dive ever. there is a camera angle that shows daylight between clays glove and listons face the entire punch.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  15. Levook

Levook Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Interesting question! When I hear the phrase "KO artist" I think immediately of the greatest one-shot KOs I've ever seen. I would base my answer on that as opposed to percentages, cause if one just looks at them, one can come to the conclusion that, say, Vitali K. is a phenomenal hitter, which he is not.

When I hear "KO artist", I think Tommy Hearns landing that booming right hand on Duran's chin. Or perhaps Rocky Marciano landing that crushing right on Walcott. Or perhaps Wilfredo Gomez or Julian Jackson putting someone with one shot. Imo, to be a KO artist, you must be a one-hitter-quitter type.

Toney F*** U likes this.