Is slipping to the right of a straight right hand viable?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by thechampishere, Dec 7, 2021.

1. thechampishere

thechampishere New Member Full Member

May 29, 2020
    Slipping to the right against an overhand right is obviously bad, but slipping to the left of an orthodox opponent’s jab (another straight punch) is not unheard of, and neither is slipping to the right of a southpaw opponent’s jab. You could duck the left hook they throw after the straight right the same way you can duck a southpaw’s straight left/overhand left after slipping to the right of their jab.

2. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    So, you mean slipping to your left to get on the right side of the opponent's RH punch, or do you mean go to your actual right (which is actually "to" a right hand punch's left)? The former is what is conventionally taught, meaning you land outside the cross' trajectory rather than inside.

Assuming you meant the latter, that would in most cases mean hyperextending yourself laterally in a way that would be positionally disadvantageous at best, and risk getting yourself clipped flush at worst. I suppose depending on where you were relative to your opponent at the start of this, and the angles, there might be a circumstance where it made sense to go that way, but...ordinarily, in terms of training habits, as matter of course, no.

3. thechampishere

thechampishere New Member Full Member

May 29, 2020
    I meant the latter. It would require an exaggerated slip right, but that would make it all the more easier to duck the left hook that follows. I asked this question because if you box in a completely bladed stance you usually can’t slip left far enough to consistently evade the straight right without taking a step to the left which is slower than not taking a step, making you liable to getting hit at the same time you are moving towards the right hand. Another option would be to duck the straight right but this is also slower than slipping to the right and only works if you are shorter than your opponent. You could also pull back but this has it’s own problems and is most effective if you are taller than your opponent.

4. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Alexis Arguello often slipped inside a right hand- to his right- to land the right uppercut to the body.
    If you are in a 'bladed' stance and want to slip outside a right hand- to your left- you open up your left hip and shoulder. It should be a move that you have been setting up; the act of opening up your hip and shoulder will generally draw the right hand, especially if you lay out a lazy jab.

5. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Sure you can slip to the right with the intention of getting inside. It is risky though so you really have to follow it up with some inside work.

6. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Yeah, this is why I said in most situations the average fighter should never attempt it - particularly without having drilled for it with their coach during non-live fight conditions in the gym. Argüello in many ways did things in a textbook and replicable way that you could in good conscience show newbies and feel comfortable saying "mirror what he does" - but, as with most ATG's, he was capable of some things novices or dabblers (or even dedicated amateurs or pros who fall anywhere short of global elite tier) simply never ought to even try.

KO KIDD and Murderers' Row like this.
  7. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Usyk had a lot of slipping to his left against Joshua which is unorthodox for Usyk who always slips to the outside of the jab, he was living on the edge but managed not to get hit with hard shots.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  8. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Slipping to the inside is generally always a bad idea, experience speaking. If you slip to the inside, you better have a counter punch in return(most likely to the body) and pivot the angle around the opponent so your not still right in front of him. You’d have to continue in the direction your slipping unless you’ve got magic feet and can shift your weight to pivot back under to the outside of that straight. It would have to be done quickly as well cause the movement would normally be slow and awkward.

also, you’d have to worry about tripping or colliding with their front foot. So this makes it even more tactically unsound.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  9. mirexxa

mirexxa Heavyweight Champ Full Member

Jan 21, 2022
    Sorry i can't bother to read and comprehend that question