Is Spence a weight bully?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by GotchaHat, May 28, 2023.

1. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    There should be same day weigh-in and max ten pounds hydration over limit on fight night. If you can’t make it move up in weight. Promoters would never agree to this because it would jeopardize fights because weight bullies might miss weight.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  2. SpeedKills

SpeedKills Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I doubt anyone expects them to do anything. It’s a description, like small, tall etc. Weight-Bully is just a colloquial term for big.

Robinson turned pro as a teen. Same with your other example in Pacquiao. I doubt Robinson was doing any extreme weight-cutting. He was a skinny kid naturally. And during those late teens-early 20’s the body grows rapidly, especially when introduced with extra calories. Which is why Pacquiao went from 112 to 122.

Not sure what you are supposedly countering. Seems your paradigm is that weight-bullying can’t exist because everyone drains/blows up similarly. Which sure, if a weight-class is filled with guys who blow up similarly there is no one to bully. Though my point is that not everyone drains/blows up similarly and there’s always the guy who goes to extremes (extreme dehydrating, drugs etc) so he can come in as big as possible. We see it all the time in the ring.

MismatchHypejob likes this.
  3. MismatchHypejob

MismatchHypejob Active Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2022
    Here we go again:facepalm:

Toney F*** U likes this.
  4. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Make weight on the day and at the time the contract states, that is same for both boxers, weight bully is a made up phrase.

Reinhardt and Lesion of Doom like this.
  5. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Uh, is this the same Bud who's now fighting in his 3rd division?

6. Reinhardt

Oct 4, 2016
    If he has that much trouble making weight it's up to his opponent to push him hard and drain his tank.

Jackman65 likes this.
  7. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Bud was rehydrating 18 pounds at 140. I'm sure he's 160 to 165 on fight night.

CooperKupp and Jackman65 like this.
  8. Reinhardt

Oct 4, 2016

Don't both fighters go by the same rules? Then it's up to his opponent to make him pay for all that weight change, instead of whining about his weight. Or change the rules on when they weigh in' and go to day of fight weigh in's which I support.

Fogger and KernowWarrior like this.
  9. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    I'm in the camp that doesn't believe weight bullies exist. The high majority of top fighters are fighting in weight classes they would not have fought in 20 years ago let alone 40 or 50 years ago. However, those fighters are just using the modern day before weigh in rules to the utmost advantage. That is what they should be doing. I hate that the rules in place are the rules in place but you cannot blame the boxers for doing what they can to give themselves an advantage.

As for the OP, it's true that Spence has fought a lot of guys coming up from lower weights. However, those have been the big names and they are the fights where he could make the most money. Can't blame him for that.

10. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    So you don't believe weight bullies exist?

MismatchHypejob likes this.
  11. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    by people that dksab.

Lesion of Doom and KO KIDD like this.
  12. kerrminator

kerrminator Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2007
    I tend to agree. When they both make a similar weight on the scales they only thing they add to their weight in the next 36 hours is water which is not going to help them in anything other than leaning on an opponent.

13. MismatchHypejob

MismatchHypejob Active Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2022
    Let's be real here, people who think "weight bullies don't exists" are just flat out morons

Toney F*** U and JOKER like this.
  14. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Opened this thread to say this.

Thankfully, no need.

Reinhardt likes this.
  15. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Agree. It's basically a made up thing. Everyone is trying to make weight and those that don't will always be at a certain kind of disadvantage. Always has been this way, can't imagine any way it wouldn't be.

DramaShow and Lesion of Doom like this.