Is Spence a weight bully?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by GotchaHat, May 28, 2023.

1. Caliboxing

Caliboxing Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Yes he is and a proud one at that. He attends the annual weight bully ball & convention every year to mingle with other distinguished candidates such as Haney, Benavidez, Crawford, & Fury who should be fighting in the super cosmic heavy weight division which starts at 290lbs+.

But hey, whatever weight you could drain & squeeze yourself into is fair game in boxing.

MismatchHypejob likes this.
  2. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Silly man.

MismatchHypejob likes this.
  3. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    When you get a chance, take a look at Real Sports. They had a segment on cutting weight. They covered the UFC. But I'm sure boxers go through the same thing. They show Chris Cyborg in a salt bath in so much agony, guys needing to be helped in and out of the tub because they are so weak. And if they don't rehydrate properly they are more susceptible to getting knocked out because the fluid that surrounds the brain and protects it is not all there. Very interesting. I took away the opinion that it really isn't worth all the anguish just to have a 10-15 pound weight advantage over the opponent. It seems that it weakens them. I am also of the opinion that if a fighter cuts weight proper and legal then it's OK. It's not up to the fighter to regulate that. If there is a real problem, the powers that be should change the rules as it pertains to cutting weight.

4. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony He`s a masterbaiter Full Member

May 17, 2023
    True but Crawford more power than Garcia and more reach than Spence by two inches.

5. MismatchHypejob

MismatchHypejob Active Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2022
    This just shouts “I don’t understand the massive advantage of size”. A guy who rehydrates significantly more than another Is at a significant advantage. With size comes the ability to impose and dictate a fight, it comes with increase punch resistance (in comparison to the smaller guy) and increased power.

If you have ever done any sparring, head or body, you’ll realise the very clear advantage.

You put someone like Haney in with someone who rehydrates around the same size and you’ll see him get knocked out. I guarantee it and when it happens (if he’s not knocked out by a midget before then with his obvious glass chin). The fact he has to boil down to the lighter weights quite clearly demonstrates that he sees it as an advantage, otherwise why is he not fighting at larger weights?

No ****.

So this makes it right…so since it’s inception boxing has begun with unfair loopholes in rehydration, it’s okay that it keeps happening. Right.

Yes. They . Are.

6. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    The only divisions where there are weight bullies are HW and LHW.

There are very few outliers at the lower weights that are weight bullies, you can name them on one hand

7. turbotime

turbotime Hall Of Famer Full Member

May 4, 2012
    Hard to tell. He is a lanky one for sure - What does interest me is that there are rarely fight night weight reports anymore. They would always do this in the 90s - 2010 in the pre-fight stats.

2 of the sanctioning bodies have barriers anyhow, I would've personally told Tank to kick rocks for the hydration clause, acting like he was the A-side in all of this. Call me a ducker all you like.

In regards to Spence, I don't think he is a weight bully. The Garcia fight didn't make sense but no one forced Mikey to take the fight now did they?