Is Takam the best fighter AJ has faced ?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Unforgiven, Oct 22, 2017.

1. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Ap is this generations nearly man. Fan friendly good punch out and power. Couple of high light reel KO's including Takem but he's getting on a bit now. He's beaten everyone other than Wlad. But the drugs busts have really hurt him That and the fact Wilder would never take the fight anyway.

I kind of have Takam and Breazeale level really. Takam has the edge in experience but I think they have both beaten similar levels of fighter and I think Takams style may be more difficult for AJ to unpick

2. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Agree for the most part although Martin, Molina and Breazeale whilst far from great would sail into Fury's top 10.

3. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Vlad is, by far, the best fighter Joshua has ever fought, by far...............Takam has very little chance...........

Here's Johnny likes this.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    True, and Hammer, Cunningham and Chisora would sail into AJ's top 10.
    But at least AJ's moving in the right direction.

5. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    Indeed although two of them would only take the last 2 slots.

6. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    You think AJ's fought 8 men better than those ?

7. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Not really. It was a great haymaker of a punch that put Fury on his back but Fury was totally composed, heard the count, got up and carried on.
    He seemed a bit shocked at worst, but not hurt in any bad way.

A more legitimate criticism of Fury's performance there would be the fact he FOULED himself to victory at the end !

8. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    1. Wlad (obviously)

2. Takam
    3. Breazeale
    4. Whyte
    5. Chisora - if he's included

6. Molina
    7. Martin
    8. Johnson

Perhaps I'm thinking of a better Johnson than the one Aj actually fought and giving Martin and Molina too much credit.

9. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I think you might be giving Breazeale too much credit too.
    It's all rather academic though.

I think Fury stated himself a few times he had nothing on his resume really (just "bums"), until he beat Wlad.
    And AJ has recently hinted towards the same thing, but it less self-deprecating and more polite (to the opponents) terms.
    To be fair, Fury only had 25 fights, and Joshua's still only 19-0, so none of this is surprising.

10. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    Yep one only has to look at Wilder to see how it could be far, far worse.

Unforgiven likes this.
  11. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Much of the myth about Tyson Fury is down to his 'zero' also.

However, anyone who has seen the McDermott 1 fight will know he should never have the zero, it was one of the most bent decisions in British boxing history. Still, that's Terry O'Connor for you.

12. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Aside from Wlad who is an ATG and future top 5-10 HW of all time, then yes Takam is the second best that AJ has ever fought.

AJ is on the path to true greatness even beating the TBC Number 1 of all time Lewis, if he has a great enough career.

I think a Parker fight is big. Thats his biggest test after this.

13. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Fury was only 7-0 though.
    If his record read 24-1 right now due to a points decison loss in his 8th fight (avenged next time out with a stoppage win), I don't think it would make much difference at all right now. In fact, the bad call has given you a reason to dwell on it forever. If it was on the record as an "L" it would be more difficult to make it sound significant. There would be no crime, nothing to vent that outrage against. It would be seen as a fairly meaningless early loss in a learning fight.