Is Taylor p4p number 1 in uk

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by kevinreid001, Oct 30, 2019.

1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    It should be BJS, the waster, but Taylor is number 1. (such a shame neither of the two best boxing stars are not a bit more likeable. There both jerks!)

Scissors likes this.
  2. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Why are people sying BJS and Fury are more talented than Taylor? In what way? Taylor is far more versatile than both of them imo, especially Fury.

crixus85, 305th, S.K and 2 others like this.
  3. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Fury is better defensively and Taylor is better offensively, they have both crafted their style very well.

Twentyman likes this.
  4. fenoc1

fenoc1 Active Member Full Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Warrington has be in everyones list. 2 huge scalps in the last few years

5. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    billie joe saunders will never come close to achieving what josh has in only 16 fights.That ship has sailed.

305th likes this.
  6. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    It might be for another thread but I’d be interested to see other people’s UK top 10 p4p list.

Taylor
    Warrington
    C Smith
    Anthony Joshua
    Billy Joe Saunders
    Tyson Fury
    Carl Frampton
    Chris Eubank Jn
    Dillian ‘dianabolical’ Whyte
    Liam Smith

There’s not much logic to my list. I reluctantly put Whyte on there even though he’s a drug/glove cheat. I was indulgent with Liam Smith but at least he’s won a world title. Joshua was stylistically bounced all over shop by Ruiz but he still a top 3 heavyweight. Fury should probably have got the nod over Wilder. Junior’s doing alright but he’s a little inactive, same with Saunders...and Callum Smith. Frampton is still world class. Taylor and Warrington have had a brilliant year or so.

tee_birch and Bridie mcmahon like this.
  7. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    It's quite slim pickings at the moment. I'd probably swap Liam Smith for Campbell and jig the order around a bit.

Twentyman and S.K like this.
  8. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Admittedly, there’s not much logic to it. There’s plenty coming through though like Dubois.

9. Bridie mcmahon

Bridie mcmahon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 10, 2015
    You're top 3 are bang on for me and the rest looks decent tbf twenty.

Twentyman likes this.
  10. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    I think the top 3 in that order is spot on.

Twentyman likes this.
  11. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Logic and "pound for pound" don't really mix together. It's essentially a What If scenario where you imagine people who aren't the same size are actually the same size and line them up based on who would win. There's a reasonable argument that the concept should have been left at the bottom of a beer bottle with 99% of other pissed up conversations.

The concept of course grew some (drunken) legs and staggered off into the hearts and minds of boxing fans across the globe. I think it's easy to lose track of what the whole point of it was though, which was what would happen in a fight if Sugar Ray Robinson and Joe Louis were the same size.

These days most people seem to apply a mix of quantitative and qualitative criteria, or more commonly put a list together and then make the criteria up as they go along.

In a "pure" pound for pound sense, it's really just about who would win if everyone was the same size. Warrington may "deserve" to be ranked above BJS based on recent wins, but if I think Saunders stands the 160lbs version of Warrington on his head I should rank him higher.

TLDR - Taylor is the top fighter in the UK at the moment, regardless of what criteria you use. After that it gets terribly subjective.

Pompey Junglist and Twentyman like this.
  12. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    I agree with every word. Great post.

13. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I got as far as "quantitative and qualitative criteria" ...then my eyes glazed over, my brain froze and my nether regions went numb. Was I experiencing " cognitive dissonance", twentyman?

14. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Sounds like a stroke that, pal.

lencoreastside, Wizbit1013 and Momus like this.
  15. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Taylor is way ahead then I'd have

Fury (based on past performances)
    Warrington
    Smith (could be #1 in future but needs to fight more often and at higher level).

BJS should be up there but he seems to have lost any drive and ambition.