Is The Rex Layne Fight Marciano's Best Pre-Championship Performance?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Feb 22, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano went into the Layne fight 35-0-0, in the previous year Layne had beaten among others;
    TurkeyThompson
    Bob Satterfield
    Cesar Brion
    Jersey Joe Walcott
    Layne was on a run of 19 fights without defeat, [2 draws]. Rex was the favourite but was pretty much dominated in this fight.
    Marciano fighting to orders, targeted Layne's mid section and gradually slowed him to
    a walk. Marciano was Layne's superior in every department,in the 6th he caught the beefy slugger with a perfect overhand right to deposit him senseless on the canvas.I think it was his most impressive performance before his title reign.The Mathews fight and ko may have been more aesthetically pleasing , but in Mathews ,Marciano had less to beat.Layne' s results nosedived after the Marciano ko , and he never regained his pre Rocky form.Marciano had effectively ruined him

2. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    It was Marciano's first big named opponent.....Layne was the the 11-5 betting favorite that night in 1951...the fight was shown in 11 closed circuit theaters in 8 US cities.....Rocky weighed 185 1/2...Rex Layne 193 lbs. He KO'd Layne with a right hand in the 6th that sheared his front teeth off..."at the nubs".

lloydturnip and Fergy like this.
  3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    That's what I like about mcvey. Always learning something

4. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    he didn't knock his teeth out.as I assumed they were snapped from the root! That is real power .

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    This is Box Rec's take on it.
    "Marciano bloodied Layne's nose and mouth, opened a cut above his left eye, knocked out two teeth and smashed his bridgework".

lloydturnip likes this.
  6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Funny how the "Rockista's" only come out to play to defend their idol.An honest evaluation of one of his performances barely gets acknowledged.:shakehead:

BlackCloud likes this.
  7. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    So now we are "rockista's" haha!
    I know you are baiting, but like I told you before and you yourself have stated in one of your lovely posts that state nothing but what other people saw and wrote about. I like coming on here.

A guy that relies on articles and quotes is calling somebody a "rockista's" that is too funny 2xlol

Maybe we should call you "artiquotes"lol

mcvey, Marciano went into the Layne fight 35-0-0, in the previous year Layne had beaten among others;
    TurkeyThompson
    Bob Satterfield
    Cesar Brion
    Jersey Joe Walcott
    Layne was on a run of 19 fights without defeat, [2 draws]. Rex was the favourite but was pretty much dominated in this fight.

Nothing new, so whats the point?

Marciano fighting to orders, targeted Layne's mid section and gradually slowed him to
    a walk.

Let's go to the tape, Marciano targeting the body, was and is a standard practice, to slow down and weaken an opponent, and if you look at Marciano's tapes you will see that he didnt target Layne's body any more then in other readily available tapes of his fights. Again since you practiced for 20yrs this is not news to you is it? Ok, so why start another thread saying the same thing.

This was talked about on another thread it's reply # 9, Your reply-"Rocky targeted Layne's "soft" midsection to wear him down and applied the payoff when he had done so."
    My reply, That's called being smart targeting the midsection to weaken a taller opponent. Layne was fit and ready only 3pds over his wt for Satterfield.

I see that Layne instead of being flabby, soft is now "beefy", you do provide me with laffs I gotta hand you that.

Marciano was Layne's superior in every department,in the 6th he caught the "beefy"(funny) slugger with a perfect overhand right to deposit him senseless on the canvas.I think it was his most impressive performance before his title reign.
    You do, do you that's good, finally.

Anybody with eyes and access to youtube can see that for themselves dont you think? So re-hashing what everybody knows proves what? And as an added plus, they dont have to read articles and look up quotes they can see for themselves

Layne' s results nosedived after the Marciano ko , and he never regained his pre Rocky form.Marciano had effectively ruined him
    Alright and.....?

I had left you alone til you squeezed in "Rockitas"

Oh, FYI, remember in a previous thread you said, that Louis lost his power, Layne after fighting Marciano said Louis hit harder.

8. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    You just have to press the right buttons.
    Some of them still can't figure out the quote function, lol.

9. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    Maybe some of us are as stubborn as others lol

BlackCloud likes this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm glad he lives the other side of the Atlantic,otherwise he'd be camped outside my door,and with his halitosis problem that would be intolerable.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You're not stubborn you're just an obsessed troll whose rapidly turning into a stalker.Sad, silly, superfluous, and definitely surplus to requirements.
    Oh and it's ROCKISTA .Bullsh*t Billy!

12. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    My halitosis problem, how didya know?

13. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    My my, classy comeback how do I respond to such intellect, artiquotes? I am in South Texas, rockitas fits here, but since you are across the pond, then I guess I stand corrected, rockista, it is but you know what? I like rockitas better. Obsessed troll hmmm! You are the one who is obsessed with articles and quotes, and putting a negative spin on anything, and what's funniest is you still cant or wont admit what everybody else can see and you still cant see. I will let you search out other threads to see what I mean, jeez, 300+replies and still denying.
    To be honest, I did say I was gonna leave you alone til rockitas-rockista, which you used to bait the hook, c'mon who do you think your fooling? The only purpose this thread serves is to enable you to say these immortal words: "Funny how the "Rockista's" only come out to play to defend their idol.An honest evaluation of one of his performances barely gets acknowledged.:shakehead:"
    I have to admit I find you amusing at times. I am a stalker, let me ask you then what do you call your constant bickering with mendoza? I can guess your reply but maybe I think the same of you.
    I told you before, it's your smug answers.

14. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Who would be so rude to say the word Rockista?

Those damn Jack Johnsonistas. That's who.

15. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I can't lie, I laugh my ass off every time I say Rockista in my head.
    It sounds hilarious for some reason lol