Is there a chance lack of interest could kill Fury-Wilder III?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by catchwtboxing, Mar 12, 2020.

Can the fight be killed financially?

1. Yes. They fight for money, and if the money isn't there, they might walk.

34.4%
  2. Nope. We are stuck with this whether we like it or not.

65.6%
  1. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I mean, virtually nobody wants to see this. 95% of the boxing community agrees that in 19 rounds, Wilder won 2...four on the outside, and that was only because Fury was so physically denuded for the first fight. Yes, the knockdowns were brutal, but on his worst day, Fury got up.

The second fight, though it sold well, was not a financial success due to the huge purses, so it is very unlikely there is any money in this. Since they can't charge more, the only way to make this feasible is to cut the purses significantly.

Fury is only obligated by agreement with the Wilder camp. The WBC has made clear that Fury is free for one year to fight whom he likes, and then it is Dillian Whyte. If Fury just walked away, they could probably sue, and Fury has made clear that there is too much money involved to do so.

But what if the money was no longer there?

What if they simply told the fighters that to do a third, they would have to have their purses cut in half?

Anyone think that this is realistic?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. JDub

JDub Active Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Personally, I have little interest in the 3rd fight as the second was such a beatdown (all the excuses in the world won't change that) and obviously there are better fights out there having already seen Fury vs Wilder twice.

But.. It sounds like we will get the 3rd fight regardless as I don't really see where else Wilder has to go, Fury is his only realistic money fight and probably the only title shot he'll get now. He's essentially burned his bridges elsewhere I think

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  3. Scar

Scar VIP Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    No way. They are both far too exciting to lose the public's interest. Put them in together and you will always have excitement and drama.

Sinew, Ph33rknot and Hanz Cholo like this.
  4. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    I will watch it.

Ph33rknot and Hanz Cholo like this.
  5. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Yeah I’d watch it but would much rather them both face a fresh opponent 1st.

fury vs Joshua
    & Wilder vs Ruiz.

m.s., vast, T.S. and 3 others like this.
  6. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    There shouldn't even be a rematch because Fury should be 2-0 against him on his own soil but due to corruption Bootleg D gets a third crack at redeeming his loss on his own soil again. It's an absolute disgrace that it's happening again and even more so on Bootleg D's home soil.

2013 quote from Bootleg D on fighting his 2 x surrogate daddy Fury

''I would fight him anywhere," said Wilder. "I'm a traveller, a global fighter, I fight anywhere all over the world that's how you become legendary. You become legendary by not being afraid to go into enemy territory when the time comes or when duty calls.''

7. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    well the time has come.

Serge and Ph33rknot like this.
  8. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    It surely has.

Hanz Cholo likes this.
  9. Vykus

Vykus ɹoolɟ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ʍǝᴉʌ ǝɥʇ Full Member

Feb 21, 2018
    No interest. 1st fight Fury completely outboxed Wilder, 2nd fight Fury completely beat him up. Whats the point of a 3rd? The longer both these guys run and hide from their long awaited Joshua beating, the worst it will be.

vast and lordlosh like this.
  10. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    If it was possible to present Pac & Floyd 5-10 years past what die-hard fans wanted to see, then sure why not.

11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I think Wilder should fight someone else and get some confidence back and regroup. He could come back stronger after a few knockouts. Right now- how would it be different. He could knock out Fury but that looks like a remote chance, but it would be better to wait for both. Either way they have fought two times now and what will prove anyway.

12. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Would love to see them fight again. It's got to be in the UK tho.

pacas likes this.
  13. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    By the time Tysons finished with wilder in the build up, the man will be totally destroyed...

escudo and lordlosh like this.
  14. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Corona moreso than low interest.

pacas likes this.
  15. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    And so have I
    It's already scheduled to be at the MGM in Vegas
    I would've said so too, but it's scheduled for the summer when, hopefully, corona will be less of an issue