Is there any fighters in history under 200 pounds that you believe could beat Lewis, Klitschko etc

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Moggy94, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Not allowed to be real in these parts.

That said, Sam did KO Wills twice, so while maybe not favored, he had the capability to turn the trick if someone got lazy. And particularly for Joshua, who is as wooden a fighter and a frontrunner as you will find, he should be viewed with danger.

2. Boxing GOAT

Boxing GOAT Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2020
    I'd give Dempsey and Louis a punchers chance. Especially against chinny HWs like Wlad, Lewis and AJ. Tunney might possibly outpoint a few. Doug Jones and Michael Spinks could likely pull off a win too.

3. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
  4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Joe Louis at 199.5 lbs should probably be a favorite over all of them.

Let that sink in!

djanders, choklab and reznick like this.
  5. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    The question should be “would any of the guys on this list even exist as they did physically before 1970”?

quite clearly each of them are a physical product of improved nutrition, training and science and more readily available information (both legal and illegal) that has transformed what was previously achievable in HW boxing.

without these advances you don’t get the changes that allowed these guys to exist.

6. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    To take a more recent example, if Evander Holyfield had come in a hair under 200lbs in his prime, would he really have lost to all of these guys?

I am inclined to think that he wouldn't.

djanders likes this.
  7. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021

What makes you think they wouldn't go straight at Spinks and walk him down especially if he weighed 173? I think sometimes this stuff is just wishful thinking by small men, you really think Joshua or Klitschko would be fazed by a guy barely over 170?

Bokaj likes this.
  8. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021

I mean there were some guys of similar size like Primo Canera and Abe Simon around back then, of course that was rare but who knows, those guys also lacked the skills of modern super heavyweights.

9. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021
    While past his prime Holyfield did lose to Lewis and if under 200 pounds I think Lewis would beat him easier but I do agree Holyfield has a better chance than anyone weighing just under 200 pounds.

10. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Because spinks, just like i said, was a great technician and it would not be an easy task, especially for guys like Wlad Klitschko or Joshua.

11. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I am not making a pick here, but I highly doubt that the Holyfield that fought Lewis, did better than a prime version just under 200 could have done!

12. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    The skills of modern superheavyweights, is one of the most disingenuous phrases in boxing.

It implies that size is everything, except when the old timer has it on his side, when it suddenly counts for nothing.

The old time superheavyweights were trained by the same men as the lightweights and welterweights of those eras, who are revered as technicians today!

Do you think that their trainers never had the idea of teaching them a few boxing fundamentals?

If all that they needed to make a world beater, was to find a superheavyweight, and teach them some "skills", then that would have been easy enough!

Blaxx and choklab like this.
  13. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021

Could a strawweight beat a middleweight? Based on your logic they should

14. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    with rabbit punches ;) and if he was larger. Dempsey was very dirty boxer from modern criteria.
    I do not judge him, he was kid self made from ash unlike post WW2 era stars he had nothing and Dempsey likes me damn a lot.
    Dirtyboxer Dempsey if he was larger. If not DQ.

15. Moggy94

Mar 25, 2021

While the size does matter it's not just the size when people talk about them. In the case of the guys I mentioned it's their skills and ability to use their reach/height effectively with the size. Like no Abe Simon isn't beating Rocky Marciano or Valuev isn't beating Joe Louis but yes I can see the Klitschko brothers or Joshua beating Marciano or Louis for example.