Is there any trainer who can improve Wilder's boxing skills?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Dec 3, 2018.

1. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Floyd Sr., can teach him a thing or two in Trash Talking :coti::dijono:

mirkofilipovic likes this.
  2. Caliboxing

Caliboxing Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    You can always improve, tougher in your 30's but can be done. He had the height and similar reach to Fury so he should've done more explosive 1-2 combos, and double jab right hands to the body, fake Fury to the body etc. You need experience for these type of things and he's still learning. It's about how to approach certain fighters. Against a boxer like Fury you have to start early and go to the body because he moves his head.

Also, Wilder's stance is too damn wide, that's why it's tough for him to close distance even though he is fast. He has to reset on everything. Get a ****ing coach that knows about footwork and smooth punches, Mayweathers, Loma's father, etc. If he learned to throw an efficient right cross like Wlad where he doesn't telegraph it from a mile away, he'd be even more devastating.

3. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    No. He is 33 and behavior is set in stone.

4. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    If u want to teach someone something then you have to make them understand why they should do whatever is being taught and how it will help them in their goals and make the material relatable.

Not necessarily the best trainer out there but leta be real, Wilder is too deep in his career to change much, it would need to be a trainer that understands Wilder, his approach, and why he fights the way he does and it would have to be someone Wilder can relate to.

DW is a seriously flawed fighter but enormously gifted as well. Hed gotten this far while being a technical novice. He doesnt need much more to kick AJ's ass.

5. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

I saw a novice windmill against Fury , I lowered Fury even more after this. Excuse me? what did Wilder display outside power?

6. mthez

mthez Active Member banned Full Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Chances are zero, boxers real style comes out when under pressure and we know Wilder could not even connect with a punch when he had internet troll Charlie Zelenoff one one knee. Wilder is a lost cause.

7. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Wilders fundamentals are so bad that fiddling and optimizing that is an exercise in futility. It'd be better to try condition him and work on his stamina.

8. big moose

big moose Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Excerpt from a Brin Jonathan Butler piece on Wilder:

"Wilder is 40-0 as a pro with 39 knockouts, but he came to the sport late. How do his skills compare with Breland’s when he was a prodigiously gifted amateur boxer?

Breland’s eyes follow Wilder pacing around the gym. He folds his thin arms across his chest and absentmindedly leans back so you can appreciate how freakish a task it must have been to fight a man at 147 pounds who stands at 6 feet, 2½ inches. Gradually, a mischievous grin curls Breland’s lips.
    “He’s at about where I was at 11.”

“11?”

“11 or 12,” he concedes, turning it over some more. “But you gotta remember, he’s a heavyweight in today’s era. And you seen how he can punch. If you can bang? Hell, that’s enough now. And you seen what his right hand can do. He can bang.”"

Also, in the Knuckles & Gloves podcast, Brin said he saw Wilder spar 16 rounds and lose 10 of them, against pretty poor opposition. But he also picked Wilder to beat Fury - he saw enough of that right hand to convince him that the power is real, and could win a fight after being dominated.

To me, this suggests that Wilder is beyond any significant modification of his style, and is possibly best focusing on maximising his strengths. Like Marciano, supposedly his trainers felt he was a rudimentary "caveman" but didn't want to alter his technique in case it ruined the "natural leverage" of his power punches. At 33 yo, I suspect Wilder's technique is what it is , but perhaps a bit more stamina, so he is not gassing late and that big right hand has more power could be useful.

941Jeremy and TurtleKing like this.
  9. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot etreuM aL Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    He's too old, but if I had to choose anyone Robert Garcia he'd make him train fundamentals just like he did maidana

10. don owens

don owens Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 5, 2005
    Too late. Too dumb.

11. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Then they would need to teach away his long thin legs narrow hips and high center of gravity. That's why he uses a wide stance. To compensate for his lack of balance also adding explosive power to his shots.

12. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    IMO I think his style is even more crude than a young George Foreman and even then Foreman in the 70s had more skills offensively. I think it's a shame that he didn't have the proper training to learn the basic fundamentals of boxing. Had he been taught to box in the mold like Tommy Hearns, Mike McCallum, or Vernon Forrest he could have been seen as unbeatable, given his incredible power and good chin.

fists of fury likes this.
  13. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Wilder is 33, you cannot properly train someone who thinks skills are overrated !

End thread! :stop:

P.S . I can though not sure Wilders brittle hands would stand up to me holding pads so we may have to stick to primarily heavy bag work which he isn't good at either.... .:watchout:

14. rayhogan

rayhogan Dont worry Pac, you wont Full Member

Aug 26, 2006
    You really disrespecting the late great steward as one of the best trainers ever in boxing. He turn Lewis from a brawler to a great all around fighter that box, brawl. Steward would've been a perfect trainer for wilder.

15. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Emanuel Steward could have . He was one guy who could change a top fighter and make him better. Most trainers get hired and do nothing, but Emanuel had that ability, which is why Lennox and Vlad respect him so much. He made them better and they appreciate it. Emanuel understood that tiny tiny differences in the fight or tactics against specific fighters can change a fight. But generally no you cannot change a fighter. Not with the current trainers. They don't know how to work on little things which can turn into big. They don't see it.