Is this forum overrating Larry Holmes?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Austinboxing, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    He’s arguably the best pure boxer in history, pound for pound.

2. Greb & Papke 707

Greb & Papke 707 Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2019
  3. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Or me, very accomplished fighter, would have given all the top 3/4 where ever you put them a hards night work, following Ali was difficult, and the biternest showed sometimes, he has over the years, been quite rightly recognised as a fine craftsman, aligned with heart and courage.
    stay safe guys.

Fergy and Pugguy like this.
  4. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Agree with everything bar the words highlighted. There are a few absent names - Thomas, Page come to mind - as Larry settled for lower risk, higher financial reward as his reign entered its final third. He'd earned that right with some of his earlier defences and fighting the likes of Tim Witherspoon and Bonecrusher was hardly going for a walk in the park. It was an impressive reign which stopped slightly short of cleaning out the division.

The eye test, rather than who he fought, tells me that Larry gives anyone a hard night. I don't know if he's over or underrated on the forum as I don't really follow what people say about him enough. But if he's generally considered anywhere in the top 5-10, I think we're getting it right, by and large. I wouldn't have a massive beef with anyone rating him a notch or two higher, though that wouldn't be my opinion. Rating him lower than 10 would raise an eyebrow, though.

HellSpawn86 likes this.
  5. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I think you could also argue Liston 1 for Ali and substitute Cooney for (that version of) Norton but I get your point and excellent post.

6. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Holmes was the perfect heavyweight. I only see Ali and Louis as clear superiors.

7. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    What the ****? Are you kidding me? He defeated Ray Mercer. A very young, undefeated fighter who was coming off a big knockout win over Tommy Morrison. Not to mention that Mercer was the f__king WBO champ! Larry, who look like a crippled and fragile 40 year old f__king schooled him! Made him look like easy work even joking around while fighting. IMO that's his career best win.

And to everybody who discredit Larry because he beat an old Norton is horrendously dumb. Norton was the WBC champ who just beat Jimmy Young prior to winning the title. Yeah past his best, but is still somewhat great shape. You have to also consider Larry too, I don't think Larry respectfully reach is peak yet at the time, and fighting Norton who is superior in terms of experience. He also overcame stylistic disadvantages, the cross guard. He even beat other two fighters who is very good with cross guard too. In conclusion, old fighters are way better than how most people view them.

He made 17 title defenses, beating a lot of names such as Earnie Shavers, Mike Weaver, James Smith, Trevor Berbick, Undefeated Ossie Ocassio, Undefeated Gerry Cooney, Undefeated Renaldo Snipes, Undefeated Tim Witherspoon, Undefeated Car Williams, Undefeated David Bey,Undefeated Leroy Jones and beat Roy Tiger Williams before becoming champ. He even beat some underappreciated names such Alfredo Evangelista, Lorenzo Zanon, Randy Tex Cobb and Leon Spinks.

Past his prime he arguably beaten Michael Spinks in the rematch and arguably beaten Oliver McCall.

His h2h ability is extremely amazing too. Good jab, Good power, all around boxer puncher, excellent defense, unshakable chin and high ring IQ. Never lost until age caught up with him. Got up from atomic bombs. For being a mover, his punches were more solid than Ali's.

8. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Don’t think I’ve ever seen Dempsey or Marciano rated #1 on contemporary lists. I remember him being the consensus number one up until the arrival of Louis which spawned a (virtually non-existent today) debate regarding who was superior between the 2.

9. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Pretty much seen as top 5 which seems fair to me.

10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Can easy put him third, behind the two big guns, Ali and Louis.

11. surfinghb

surfinghb Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 26, 2017
    No .. but its sure flooding the " forum " with more Larry Holmes is overrated threads

12. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 6, 2007
    It’s interesting because I hardly ever see Holmes mentioned, especially in the general. Usually everyone rates the obvious ATG heavys like Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield, Ali, Foreman, some mentions about Frazier and from there almost all the other great heavys hardly get mentioned. I always thought of Holmes as the forgotten great heavyweight. It’s too bad because he has a great resume and nearly broke Marciano’s record!

surfinghb and Fergy like this.
  13. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
  14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I think he gets a bit overrated H2H but that's all opinion based at any rate. You can argue him anywhere from #3 to the bottom area of the ten historically.

Fergy likes this.
  15. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    He did. So near, yet so far.

HellSpawn86 likes this.