Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by iStraughan, Sep 13, 2017.

1. iStraughan

iStraughan New Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Hey everybody,

I recently joined a boxing gym a few weeks ago, and loved it and would go 1-2 times a day, 3-4 times a week. My goal is to eventually compete, but I really don't know anything about boxing(technique and everything that comes with the sport).

The gym I go to has about 3 "classes" per day, and so far I've participated in about 10 of them. Everything was cool at first, but I've noticed every single one of those classes have ONLY been abs and stretches, nothing else. Every time I've gone in when it's just open gym, I've noticed everybody just doing their own thing and the trainer/owner just sits at his desk.

Out of all the times I've gone to the gym, I've only once been taught how to throw a jab/straight and the proper boxing stance, and that only lasted MAYBE 5 minutes, then he rushed us to the bags to try and get us to practice and dipped out on us. Other than that, I've really learned nothing.

After reading some posts about how trainers should train newbies since it is a customer service or how I need to prove myself that I wanna be there. So, I've been making it clear to him that I'd eventually like to compete, but I really don't know any technique or stuff. His response was to come in for sparring sessions because that's the best way to learn. That's cool, and that's ultimately what I'm there for and tbh I'm pretty athletic, but I know I don't know shiiii about how to box. So, I asked about learning technique and my fundamentals so I can box, and he told me that I would have to purchase private lessons that are $30 for 45mins-1hr. To me, that was a super huge let down and that I'm paying $75 just to use his equipment.

So, my question after that entire novel, is that normal for trainers to have a membership to their gym, but only teach boxing in private lessons?

2. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    What gym in Austin are you going to? Who runs it?

reznick likes this.
  3. BoxinScienceUSA

BoxinScienceUSA Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    cut your losses and find another gym. when you are inquiring with other places ask questions about their amateur program (how long before you spar? how long before you compete? can I come in and watch a class?).

he's using (more like abusing) a fitness business model. that's fine for him but it doesn't match your goals.

anyone with an existing amateur program will have a structure in place and be able to answer your goal oriented questions.

YearZero, Caimán and PIRA like this.
  4. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Same advise as the other thread - your at a bad gym, leave and find a much better trainer.

Caimán likes this.
  5. aaalbert

aaalbert Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Unfortunately, what PIRA said is right.
    You should give the thread I made a read and check out the great advice I received from everyone. You're definitely not alone in this. Unless there are other trainers besides the owner that are willing to teach you, you're not going to get a lot of benefit besides just using the equipment :((or you can keep going for a little bit more and see if there is a glimmer of hope. They may be seeing if you're committed or not like someone advised me...)

PIRA and Caimán like this.
  6. YearZero

YearZero Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    For "those" types of gyms, sadly it's 100% normal. The trainer owner will rather sit behind his desk and play solitaire than get off his ass and help people. They want you to pay for those one on one sessions.

PIRA likes this.
  7. BoxinScienceUSA

BoxinScienceUSA Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    the difference is your trainer is lazy, and maybe traditional in the "you have to earn it". this guy wants money for his one on one time, which is fine if he puts that up front. but this trainer sounds more like guerrilla marketing with a deceiving bait and switch. I can at least understand lazy, but I have no respect for a shady business man on a bad hustle. inch and a mile. if he pays for privates from this guy, next week will be another scam for more money. he's a predator.

west Los Angeles has a bunch of boxing gyms that do classes, and have very limited real boxing. they all charge for one on one time, but you know that going in. there's nothing wrong with running a business; giving a service for $$$. the upsale ambush is what has no class and why he should get out asap.

PIRA likes this.
  8. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Find another gym. Preferably one where almost everyone competes. You don’t need boxer size classes. The technique should be one of the first things that your shown. Like proper stance and guard. Balance and basic jab and strIght right hand. Where your weight is suppose to be. Then practice, repetition repetition.