Is Tyson Fury becoming underrated ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MarkusFlorez99, Aug 1, 2022.

1. fencik45

fencik45 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    Beat Whyte easier than anyone?? 41 year old Povetkin beat him quicker and more convincingly, knocking him unconscious.

2. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Except Povetkin was struggling. Yeah he sent Whyte to the afterlife in 5 and it was satisfying but not before going through some tough times. Fury beat him 0 difficulty. Even Joshua got rocked and most say he "dominated" Whyte

Rumsfeld and MidniteProwler like this.
  3. fencik45

Jun 6, 2022
    An old man beat Whyte way worse and quicker, end of story. A prime Povetkin would have easily been shutting Whyte out.

Dementia Pugulistica likes this.
  4. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Yeah but regardless old Povetkin didn't have an easy time. Fury had no issues. He had fun in there.

navigator likes this.
  5. TheWizard

TheWizard I Got Milk Baby Full Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Getting dropped twice and then scoring a comeback KO is not more convincing than barely getting touched and then scoring a KO.

Who struggled more according to you, Fury or Povetkin?

Rumsfeld likes this.
  6. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Not at all. We might have too many claiming him an ATG or would beat a bevy of other ATGs, but the reality is, his resume is VERY weak.
    And that is the basis of what he will be judged on, his ACTUAL work shown. H2H hypotheticals don't mean squat for actual rankings.

AdamT and Dementia Pugulistica like this.
  7. Mickc

Mickc Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I’m a Fury fan and yes he’s beaten everybody so far BUT he needed to be more active and he absolutely has to fight the winner between Usyk v Joshua 2. All this retirement nonsense from Fury is all about him not going to be dicked around by Hearn,simple fact is if Joshua beats Usyk the Undisputed fight is on,should Usyk win as expected then Fury knows that Hearn will try everything in his power to stop the Undisputed fight happening. As for the most over rated Heavyweight this century that is without doubt Joshua . Just imagine all the hype and media nonsense if Hearn had been Fury’s promoter !

8. DaRealJT

DaRealJT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Tyson Fury is overrated by casuals, but (very) underrated by actual boxing fans.

9. fencik45

Jun 6, 2022
    Never seen the Firy fight.

10. ShortRound

ShortRound Active Member banned Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    You should add the caveat that you've picked Fury to lose something like 10 times, including against the likes of Hammer. You clearly have a bitter hatred for him, having been embarrassingly wrong all the way.

Fury's defensive performance against Wlad was objectively the best ever in a heavyweight championship fight. No one had ever reduced a reigning champ to 52 punches landed over 12 rounds, let alone one as good as Wlad, let alone away from home, as the B-side and a huge underdog in his world championship debut.

Had Fury not ballooned up to 30 stone and become a drug addict and instead beaten an older, more worn, dethroned B-side Wlad in a rematch in Britain you'd give him no credit anyway. In fact, Wlad's reputation would have declined relative to how it turned out post-AJ.

Everyone with any intelligence knows or at least suspects that Wlad (and all of these other top HW's) was juicing and Fury never failed a test for Wlad, so either get your facts straight or stop lying.

Between October 2021 and April 2022 Fury knocked off two of the "top 4" ranked HW's aside from himself: 2nd ranked Wilder and 4th ranked Whyte, with Usyk and Joshua occupied. He's in line to fight the winner of Usyk-Joshua 2 next year. I can't think of many fighters in the sport who are taking on "all comers" more than Fury. And at the end of the day it's the biggest fights that matter most by far: Bowe got more credit for going 2-1 with former 190 pounder Holyfield than for his other 41 wins put together.

Fighting long-reigning 6'5+ KO artist champions 4 times, away from home, as the B-side and not losing once would be impossible without great ability. Fighters who depended on "luck" (all have good and bad fortune at times) rather than ability would have lost all or nearly all of those fights.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    navigator likes this.
  11. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    No he didn’t. Pov was looking bad before the KO.

12. TheWizard

TheWizard I Got Milk Baby Full Member

Jan 20, 2021
    After watching it you'll change your mind.

13. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Nah not on here by any stretch. I would say the opposite is true.
    Yes Fury is a big man and skilled but he's only fought a couple of the perceived top guys. one was getting on in age and the other is completely untested and unskilled but with a big right hand. Gimps on here calling him the GOAT is a little asinine when his resume is that thin. It's not measured on what you could possibly do it's based on what you've actually done.
    It really is as simple as that.

Dannymita likes this.
  14. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    The things people have been saying about him are a natural consequence of the fact that he is threatening to leave the sport at exactly the time his greatest challenge has arrived on the scene and an undisputed champ could be crowned for the first time in 20 years.

Fight or face the judgement of the fans.

15. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I picked against Fury many times, but that wasn’t in any way strange of what we knew at the time. Like you said, he was the underdog for most of those fights too and never showed he could beat someone at that level in the state he was in.
    The Hammer fight was a big miscalculation on my part (as I have had many in the past) because Hammer isn't all that to begin with. Still that's one fight with a giant * hanging above it of course. Looking back now he would have easily beaten Hammer without use of peds, but bottom line is he didn't. Only reason that fight has never been overturned is that they had to time the retroactive ban to start after the Wlad "fight", otherwise that had been overturned as well.

Other picks I remember making against him was against Wlad of course, as it looked very unlikely he would win that. The first Wilder fight, as he was back from his ban and retirement, not being in shape and needing to go the distance against a far past it Pianeta, and having been dropped by light punchers in the past. Then again the second Wilder fight after almost losing to unheralted Wallin (if the roles were reversed, it had almost 100% been stopped on the cut).
    The man is very hot and cold, and can basically lose anytime because of his antics.
    If boxing had been a normal sport there would be a very good chance we would have never heard from him again after being busted for nandrolone back in 2015.
    As for picking fights, I don't know if I picked against him with USS (don't think I did), but I didn't pick against him were both Chisora fights and Wilder 3 for instance.
    Other fights he usually was the clear favorite in and had the promotion behind him, so I don't think I picked against him in one of those.