Is UFC taking over?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by H ., Jun 17, 2007.

1. codeman99998

codeman99998 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Thanks for bringing this one up westwing fan... lol.

A grappler can't grapple in boxing? Pfft, Ricky Hatton is doing just fine.:bbb

Seriously though, this is old stuff. Bobbing and weaving doesn't work as a defense when there are knee strikes and grappling. Boxers win in an MMA fight if they can KO the MMA fighter in like, the first 15 seconds, otherwise the MMA fighter wins in the MMA fight.

MMA fighters beat a boxer in boxing if they get a lucky punch off. Plenty of MMA fighters have real KO power, so I guess they have a puncher's chance, but that's about it.

This thread really didn't need to be revived, but since it's at the top, I figure'd I'd go ahead and add my 2 cents, for the BOJILLIONTH time.

2. BoardBULLY

BoardBULLY Member Full Member

May 8, 2005
    "Do you not get that mma is the middle ground? A boxer can box in mma but a grappler can not graple in boxing. How would a boxer do in a submission wrestling match? He would get owned 100 percent of the time."

bull**** a boxer can't box because everyone tries to take him down. Part of boxing is it taking place on their feet.

The way i see it they are both combat sports. One is designed to get you the most complete fighter, the other gets you the tougher fighter

3. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Honestly I think boxing and mma can and will coexest.

4. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I dont really see why you`ve chosen to compare Nishijima as a boxer vs mma`er. Nishijima tried his hand at MMA and literally got tossed to the lions. All his loss`s have been to legitmate mainstays in MMA.Not journeymen with records of below .500. All of those fighters on there best days are respectively in there divisions one of the best of the world.So id say Nishijima done quite well considering his on the wrong side of 30 and has been in the fight game for some time.**** the dude even stood and traded with Hunt.

These arguments are pretty worthless as its like comparing a plane to a car just because there both methods of transport.We all know who is the best in there respective fields.

MMA and boxing CAN co-exist and WILL co-exist. But the main and massive diffrence is boxing has a lineage and an age old history in society.Modern MMA does not and only boasts a demographic between 16-35. There has already been calls to ban it by those who only see it as savage brutality. Kurt Otto of the IFL got in trouble for a promo he ran and then swiftly tried to retract it..Also Sobral did the UFC no favors at all when on a massive PPV and a very bloody fight he chocked David Heath into unconciousness and then got cut from the roster for his antics. MMA has much to establish if it wants to be around for some time and only appealing to 16-35 demographic will do them no favors at all.

As for Dana constantly trying to use Boxing as some form of leverage for the UFC he better be careful he doesnt fall flat on his face.Boxing is going NOWHERE and thats a fact.

5. standing 8

standing 8 Active Member Full Member

Sep 9, 2007

That wasn't the case with the Rampage / Henderson championship match in the last UFC card. When ever the fight went to the ground you could hear the booing as clear as day.

6. demzor

demzor Active Member Full Member

Nov 18, 2006

London fans
    Theyre not very educated about the sport as those in Japan and the States.
    They didnt even seem to cheer when there were kimura attempts. I dont think they really knew what was going on..

7. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    Thats because UFC fans are ignorant and stupid as to true martial arts. The fans in the K1 and PRIDE NEVER boo`ed when the action went to ground and the rules stipulated that fighters were penalised when there was little to no action.Ah those were the days..

8. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    And the states? are you having a laugh? The US fans are even MORE pig ignorant.They boo anyone or anything they dont know.Hell they`d boo Fedor if he walked into the Octagon.There knowledge doesnt spread any further than what they know in the UFC.

9. demzor

Nov 18, 2006
    Depends where you are.. big country.
    Ohio was real good.
    Vegas is getting better.

A lot of people make a big deal outa the fact that Rampage was booed when he beat Chuck.
    No **** he was booed. Chuck is the most popular guy out there..

10. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    True but c`mon now, Silva Nog, and Cro cop were all boo`ed when they were introduced by Dana and that list includes Henderson.Theres no point in trying to cover it up. UFC fans are simply stupid ignorant and very uneducated.All they know are the mainstays in the UFC that there used to. As for Ohio being more educated i could understand as OVW is up there and there pretty much infamous for as the wrestling state.

11. demzor

Nov 18, 2006
    What??
    None of those guys were boo'd

12. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    Erm.. yes they were.Its quite clear to hear on the card when they were announced.

13. demzor

Nov 18, 2006
    Crocop wasnt even "announced"... and he's always had a good reception

Wandy I dont really remember.. but he could have been boo'd because he called out Chuck..

And Nog got a good reception...

14. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Nog was cheered very well when his signing was announced.

CroCop was cheered like a hero for his first fight.

Henderson was not boo'd, thats for damn sure.

15. Ramshall1

Ramshall1 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 16, 2007
    theres room for both sports. . . Boxing needs to keep giving the fans the best matchups like Cal-Kessler and JT-Pavlik to keep up.