Is Usyk ready for Joshua at HW yet?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ArseBandit, Dec 10, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    It was based on him dominating the cruiserweight division.

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Usyk is better at setting up his shots than AJ is and if he gets stopped he`ll be ahead on the scorecards at that point.

3. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Oh absolutely. His defence and skillset outshines Ruiz for sure. P4P he's one of the best abbout.

But I still can't see his chin holding up like Ruiz's if he does get hit clean. I don't think many could.

mark ant likes this.
  4. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Usyk should be having another tune up prior to fighting for a HW title against an elite HW.

Everyone would be far more confident in his ability to beat AJ if he was able to fit that fight in the first quarter of next year, prior to facing AJ later in the year.

Usyk has serious boxing ability but his body needs to adjust to the additional weight and he needs to adjust to HW opponents.

Having said all that if life changing money came up for him prior to a tune up I am sure he would take it. And take his chances.

5. ArseBandit

ArseBandit Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Also worth noting that he has competed against these big boys before. He absolutely schooled Joyce back in the WSB.

Fighting these big lads isn't entirely new ground for him.

6. destruction

Mar 26, 2009
    Yes great point. But I dont believe that back then he put on the HW weight he is intending to carry as a pro now. So he does need to fight at the HW weight in under the lights conditions to adjust fully in my view.

7. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Usyk gets hit cleanly more often than his fans want to admit, so any purported tuneup could result in disaster. If he can get the Joshua fight and payday, he'd be a dummy to turn it down.

This is a great opportunity, because Fury and Wilder are dancing with each other in 2020 and there's no other clear contender. Ruiz is out, Ortiz is out, Whyte just embarrassed himself, etc.

Eastern Iron likes this.
  8. destruction

Mar 26, 2009
    He gets hit cleanly often when he chooses to stand in the pocket as part of his tactics to win the fight.

Would he employ such tactics against an elite HW?

I severely doubt it.

He is world class p4p boxer and one of the greatest CWs of all time. Since Holyfield infact.

9. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    If he could win without getting hit flush, he would win without getting hit flush. I never buy this, just like GGG fans trying to say he would get hit cleanly just to lure the other guy. Usyk is great and I respect his style, but he's not invincible or likely to succeed fighting like he has historically.

10. destruction

Mar 26, 2009
    When he fought Gassiev who is a monster puncher he managed to only get clipped once (not clean) the entire fight.

Proving that when he is aware of the opponents power, he ensures he doesnt put himself in the hitting zone. If he gets clipped he is skilled enough to ride the punch

11. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Not disputing that but I do believe that Usyk has enough pop to keep AJ from steaming in.

12. HitmanMG

HitmanMG New Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2019
    Exactly. Not even close. Usyk is a combination puncher that gets TKOs from accumulation.

13. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I would agree but only based on AJs lack of heart. I haven't seen anything from usyk to suggest he has enough power to hurt a real heavyweight

14. Odins beard

Odins beard Fentanyl is one hell of a drug.... Full Member

Apr 13, 2014
    We can both agree it’s going to be fun finding out though!

Richmondpete likes this.
  15. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Agreed

Odins beard likes this.