Is Vasyl Lomachenko p4p the GOAT?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Beouche, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    He is not . Rank him outside the top 10 right now as he is not even the number 1 Lightweight. As for all time no where close.

2. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Usyk is for sure better pfp or at the very least a smarter boxer at mid range.

Lomachenko (in a nutshell, he's obviously polished) pretty much does the same thing over an over. Very effective yes but Usyk has more tools

3. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Loma was 1-0 as a pro, hadn't ever been past 5 rounds before in his life, and was facing a vastly experience pro world champion opponent who was over two divisions heavier than him, fouled the crap out of him all night, and even though over a third of Salido's punch connects were illegal, many flagrantly so, South of the border shots, which should not be counted as legal scoring shots because, duh, they weren't, Loma still outlanded him 164-142.

And had the ref not been the corrupt as sin, and infamous for being such, POS he is and deducted points from Salido for his incessant fouling Loma would've won. Truth be told Salido should've been DQ'd, that's how egregious it was.

Had he just deducted one point for all this fouling the fight would've been declared a draw

Just one freaking point!

This content is protected

These are Salidio's only four losses in like 13 years or something

A 42-2-1 JMM who was coming off a draw with a prime Manny

A 30-0-0 Mikey Garcia

An 18-0 Gamboa

And a 30-11-1 Cristobal Cruz - don't be fooled by the record he was a good fighter and Salido avenged that loss by wide scores a few fights later.

And JMM, Garcia, and Gamboa were either all roughly the same weight as Saildo or heavier than him and Cruz was probably roughly the same as him too and they had all been past 8 rounds or the full route numerous too many many times, not outweighed by 11lbs, only 1-0 as a pro and had never been past 5 rounds before in their life whilst their nuts, hips, thighs and knees were being bombarded with thumping shots all night

It's absolutely insane how anyone can hold this 'loss' against Loma. He dared to be great like few others and history was stolen from him by corruption rearing its ugly head again and best believe it wouldn't be held against many of the greats he's being compared to and held to an insane standard they don't even hold them to

4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don't even think Loma from the Russell fight would lose to Salido, but the point I'm making remains. The best fighters in featherweight history would be able to beat Salido under similar circumstances in one attempt.

Braindamage likes this.
  5. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Sweet Pea Whitaker (RIP) had been dropped like three times by his 12th fight (some flash) all of which when he was in his first division against opponents his own size

11 fight Loma suffers a flash KD against the much bigger Linares in his debut at the weight against the #1 guy in the division after only having been at 130 for 23 months and he's a ''bum'':facepalm:

FastSmith7, Quina74 and Beouche like this.
  6. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Yes. I agree. You look at what VL has done and how he has done it, then look at the Salido fight, it's like 2 completely different fighters.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    In terms of the eye test and skills I still rate him as one of the best in the world but unfortunately these days that is not enough if you take an L the boxing community shits on you.

8. BoxingIQ

BoxingIQ Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Nope!!!!! He struggled against benitez who is amlevelbelow Loma P4P.

Jackman65 likes this.
  9. sparta

sparta Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Haha

10. sparta

Feb 4, 2008
    Hahaha, big mr whippys.

MidniteProwler likes this.
  11. sparta

Feb 4, 2008
    Top 20 for sure, he has more work to do to reach the top 10, what other great fighters has he fought and beat? He may be the beat amateur of all time though.

Beouche and Fogger like this.
  12. Baneofthegame

Baneofthegame Active Member Full Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Again, I’m not disputing those points, he’s not the GOAT P4P, he’s certainly one of my favourite fighters to watch because of how boxes.

While it’s not impossible, I think if the Loma now fought any version of Salido he’d thoroughly destroy him.

Also on a side note, wasn’t Armstrong KO’ed in his boxing debut?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  13. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Skillwise? Yes, he's up there arguably. There are very few, if any boxers who have the combination of head movement, angular footwork, in & out footwork, active guard, defensive responsibility when attacking and not attacking, feinting, probing, punch speed variation, punch power variation, punching type selection and an active guard like Lomachenko does. And Lomachenko has shown the ability to put all those things together in a way very few boxers historically have shown. He's probably the most fluid boxer I've ever seen to be able to integrate all those things seasmlessly without missing any beat.

Remove the rose-tinted glasses and forget about anything else that induces prejudice, be they race, ethnicity, language, background, history and etc. Just see Lomachenko purely for his boxing and objectively, deep down everyone who has respectable IQ and observation skills will know Lomachenko is among the very greatest there has ever been, if not number one.

Quina74 likes this.
  14. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 23, 2017
    You say you don't like hyptheticals then you go on about hypotheticals in regards to how Salvador Sanchez and the likes will HYPOTTHETICALLY never lose to someone like Salido in their 2 fight, without any proof of them doing so.

Proof is, Henry Armstrong not only lost, but got KO'ed by an opponent much lesser than Salido in his first bout. Lomachenko on the other hand, lost a competitive bout that very well could have gone the other way. So you're not making a very strong case for yourself here!

Quina74 likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don't like believing hypotheticals over fights that actually happened, genius. I don't like saying that should Salido should've been disqualified because I don't know whether or not he'd have changed his behaviour had he been penalised. As it was, he wasn't, so didn't change his stop fouling. This is reality, and I rather accept that than specialte what'd happen if point were deducted. Point is, they weren't.

It's completely different to saying a fighter like Salvador Sanchez wouldn't have lost.

Jesus Christ, you really don't like context do you. Henry Armstrong had THREE amateur fights then turned pro, and was thrown straight in the deep end. He started boxing at a much older age than Lomachenko and didn't have a one hundredth of the experience at that point. Notice how I always said, in their first title fight.

Armstrong when he fought Sarron - and even still he didn't have the sort of experience Lomachenko had - would've battered Salido mercilessly. Sanchez the night he fought Lopez would've done the same.

Lomachenko's excuses might be valid, but the greatest fighter of all-time, in that situation wouldn't have lost.

derekcantona and Big Ukrainian like this.