Is Ward's legacy in question at all?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Hi-Tek-Lomo, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Hi-Tek-Lomo

Hi-Tek-Lomo Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    His last two fights were mired in controversy--whether or not you agree with the outcomes. Many argued he lost the first fight to Kovalev. Many felt the 2nd fight ended on a really sour note.

I personally won't miss him. He never excited me. I thought he was painfully boring to watch. I did enjoy his last fight though, and how he broke Kovalev. So, he beat the boogeyman, and went out on his own terms.

I think he'll be a good commentator for a long time.

How do you think he'll be remembered as a fighter? Is his legacy intact?

2. Ilikeboxing

Ilikeboxing Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 8, 2012
  3. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    I'm not what you'd call a Ward fanboy, so here's my take:

He's cemented as one of the top 168 fighters all-time, and nothing in the Kovalev fights would've (or could've) changed that. So, I think his legacy's secure.

There wasn't enough done at 175 to establish a legacy there, so I don't think the controversies or him retiring after a few fights there moves the needle either way from a historical perspective- the good wins there are simply a bonus. There's similarities to the Calzaghe situation in that regard.

dinosaurs likes this.
  4. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    What he done at LHW was greater than what Calzaghe done and his 168 record is equal , if not better to Calzaghe's.
    Joe has long string of defenses but i prefer quality over quantity.

Hi-Tek-Lomo and Willie Maeket like this.
  5. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket Make the Cold War great again. Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    He was asked to move up and fight the boogeyman at 175 and he did twice. Just because Kovalev could not adjust to win the fight does not take away from Ward at 175. People were trying to say he was a coward and he completely destroyed Kovalev's image and confidence in his own abilities.
    Andre Ward is an exceptional boxer and a true gentleman and ALL TIME GREAT. He always defied the odds in the face of his detractors. The real reason so many people dislike him is because he beat the hell out of their heroes. He beat people from pillar to post and was nice about it the entire time.

6. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    He lost a close fight against the #1 LHW out there, which the judges awarded him, and then won in a controversial way at the rematch.
    So he was at least close to or on the level of the consensus #1 LHW after moving up, which is very impressive.

His spoiler style, court dates, irritating caracter and dealings with mister Balco might have rubbed people the wrong way, but he clearly was a top class boxer.

pincai, BCS8 and Staminakills like this.
  7. JeremyCorbyn

JeremyCorbyn Active Member Full Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Maybe, I was really rooting for Carl Froch when they fought, but I had to hand it to Ward, he won almost every round, I knew then he was a great boxer.

I wont miss Ward though, but I'll give him his dues, anyone who has a close fight against Kovalev has gotta be very good. Really difficult fight to score though (the first one), if I was the judge, I'd probably take the easy route out and score it for Kovalev after the knock down, but very close, I'll always favour the guy who gets the better shots in though and I think Kovalev edged that one. So we'll call it 1-1.

8. Staminakills

Staminakills Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 8, 2012
    For me, wards talent and skill had been vastly over rated but his toughness and will to win are 2nd to non.

Beast of a fighter, and this coming from a supposed "hater" of ward

dinosaurs and The Long Count like this.
  9. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Hell no.

Smh

10. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    You do realize that Kovalev Actually outboxed him twice, right?

Todd498 likes this.
  11. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Kovalev beat him the first time and was beating him the second time before he was stopped. For what it's worth while I think that he was low blowed by Ward, he seemed to be gassing. It's questionable whether he would have mounted a comeback, but Kov should have been given a chance to either do so and Ward a chance to win by legit KO. The referee ruined that one.

Anyway, Ward was better at 168 than 175.

MrPook likes this.
  12. Caimán

Caimán Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Let's look beyond both matches against Kovalev, let's see the entire picture and create an opinion not based in his last two polemical fights.

This content is protected

This content is protected

13. boxerfan13

boxerfan13 Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Sure fire HOF. GREAT fighter. Had nothing else to do in the sport.. Besides go to Cruserweight or Heavyweight and that would be pointless. Good for him. Borderline ATG in my eyes

14. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    No his legacy won't be questioned Ward will be a first ballot HOF fighter.

Manfred, like a boss and Rumsfeld like this.
  15. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    :deal:
    Best post of this thread, will **** the haters off no doubt.

Willie Maeket likes this.