Is weight training good for boxers?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Paulsouthend, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Olympic Weight Lifting, coupled with some power lifting exercises are the way forward.

The reason why most people see no benefit from weight lifting is because, they don't know how to train. To many isolation exercises, to many guys messing around on machines, and no real hardcore *******s.

Weight Lifting in sports like boxing, sprinting, rugby and things like that.

Is all about improving power to weight ratio, at the end of the day.

You can work on your conditioning and endurance outside of the gym.

A great training routine for a boxer, or in any sport. Is like building a engineering a formula one car, think of your body in detail.

2. Samc1

Samc1 Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I dont think u understand, e.g theres no point doing bicep curls all th time 4 boxing, work the predominant muscles that r engaged in boxing and punchin like the chest, back, quads, then do the weight training exercises accordingly.
    Btw punching with light 2.0 kg dumbbells is a good conditioning tool for boxers. Do timed bursts with a set rest, good 4 shoulder conditioning.

3. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Totally agree, resistance training should be a part of every serious boxers routine. The olympic lifts help train the muscles to work in chains to generate power. Isolation exercises are largely a waste of time. Resistance training also increases neuromuscular communication between the muscles and CNS. The core is also worked via these chain exercises.

Improved co-ordination and balance results.

Think about it, are you going to be a lesser fighter if you are stronger, more co-ordinated and more explosive? Obviously not.

Kool knows his stuff.

4. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    Conditioners target each muscle that is part of the punching chain. Any weakness in the chain leads to dimished power capabilities. If this makes no sense then you (the reader) should look at your punching technique and break it down to individual stages of movement.

5. Samc1

Samc1 Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Conditioning is predominantly aerobic, couple that with anerobic explosive compound lifts and sets, it mimics boxings criteria, this is my overall point, doing both is strength and conditioning, u gota remember th twitch muscle fibres aswel

6. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Dude, you don't know what the **** you are talking about. Please stop

7. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    Ha ha thank **** for that Lefty. I was about to say this guy is on another level to me because I didn't have a clue what he was on about..

8. CharlieGarbs

CharlieGarbs Guest

When hitting a heavy bag, you are training your rotator cuffs. :lol:

9. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    But there are far better ways to target the Rotator Cuff muscles. Thats like saying: when hitting the heavy bag you are training your abdominals. Or Erector Spinae.... or triceps. Or biceps.

10. CharlieGarbs

CharlieGarbs Guest

But what he was trying to say is if you don't individually train your rotator cuffs, you will injure your shoulder, which is wrong. All you need is correct technique and they won't get injured, it has nohting to do with training them individually.

11. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Interestingly that exercise at the begining tightens the pectorial muscles. Which puts more strain on the rotators.

12. Samc1

Samc1 Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I will leave it at that, but my statement makes complete sense.

13. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Like the entire body? :huh

I do understand. There is nothing sports specific about lifting weights, no matter which muscles you target. It's like saying cycling is sports specific because it targets the legs, and the legs are used in boxing. It's bull****.

Punching with weights, especially 2kg ones, is horrific to your joints and will **** up your biomechanics.

14. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Sometimes you don't even know where to start, I wanted to reply to that post but I gave up. Simply everything is wrong.

15. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I give up, full of stupid ignorant ****s here.