Is weight training good for boxers?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Paulsouthend, Jun 7, 2010.

1. di tullio

di tullio Guest

shot put. it's a fun exercise with a small weight.

2. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I would disagree on this point. Any form of exercise can result is muscular imblances as no exercise will work every muscle or tendon equally in the desired target area, certain exercises will primarily focus on certain areas more than others.

Rotator cuff injuries do not always mean a tear of the tendon but can also be in the form of tendonitis which of course comes down to simple over use. Which someone like ourselves who exercise as much as we do, is always possible.

Which is why people will do certain supplementry exercises to avoid injuries. For example I run alot so I do a lot of supplemental hamstring exercises as this a common muscular imbalance in runners like myself.

3. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    In case of overuse I don't think the answer would be to stress it even more ;)

I also think isolating muscle groups is the best way to achieve a muscular imbalance.

4. CharlieGarbs

CharlieGarbs Guest

:dead

Well yes, it's boxing, thats a no brainer. The way most rotator cuff injuries occur when a punch doesn't connect and extends out. Will using weights to train it more make it any less injury prone to things like that? The answer is no.

5. Primadonna Kool

Primadonna Kool Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    What does the rotator cuff do..? holds your shoulder in place, asists in the rotating of your shoulder.

So if you was the throw a punch and over extent out, if your rotator cuff muscles are strong as hell.

Less likely for injury.

There are many different types of rotator cuff injuries, and boxers....most boxers seem to live in the dark ages.

And i'm convinced, some are just stupid ****s.

You only have to look around here.

6. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    The only no brainer round here is you, you demmick. :lol:

Seriously.

Rotator cuff injuries happen for many reasons but i'd suggest hyper extension from over reaching is probably the least likely of causes. More likely would be landing on a pad at a funny angle. Or not training your shoulder muscles to work in different planes. You don't have a clue what your on about so stop making a tit of yourself.

7. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I've stayed out of this because I know very little about rotator cuff training. Why people who don't have a clue are giving opinions based on **** all knowledge I don't know.

8. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    I find it amusing to be honest virus. Keep them coming- makes me feel smarter. :rofl

9. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Possibly.

A lot of soccer players injure their groin muscles. Why? Because the adductor muscles are weak due to training them very little if at all.

Strengthening any muscle group will make it less vulnerable to injury.

10. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    The body works All or Nothing.

11. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    Hows things scrap? We've not had a convo for a while? :good