IS WILDER 2ND BEST HEAVYWEIGHT

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by moog, Oct 10, 2021.

1. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    In the same way Bellew isn't called Bomber because of the Manchester bombings as to quote the great Adam Smith, just because Whyte calls himself 'the body snatcher' doesn't mean he's a good body puncher. I can't recall a single example of Whyte hurting anyone to the body.

2. MrBarry465

MrBarry465 Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2021
    In terms of boxing ability he isn't but based on the weekends performance (in my opinion) he beats AJ and Usyk.

3. Hankey89

Hankey89 Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Wilder looked done in both the lack couple of fights as soon as Fury unleashed anything slightly meaningful. He didn't get knocked out quickly because Fury is not a concussive puncher. Has Fury ever knocked out a decent heavyweight in the first 6 rounds? I am not going to applaud Wilder for standing their getting punched, and falling over every other round.

Mitch87 likes this.
  4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg @excelsioroptimum Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    In all fairness, Wilder looked really poor in his 5 fights with Ortiz and Fury. His boxing ability is so poor that if he doesn’t score a knockdown, he rarely wins a round. Great right hand and heart but no way is he the second best heavyweight out there.

hobby rider and Scissors like this.
  5. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Confirmed by @Mitch87 - his boxing algorithm has been updated and confirms Wilder is now the 2nd best Heavyweight in the World just narrowly behind Hughie Fury after a career best win last night.

Inglis_1 likes this.
  6. Beremith

Beremith Active Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Let's see how much he has left after those last two savage beatings he took.

7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg @excelsioroptimum Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I was thinking similarly about Fury earlier. He’s old for his age and obviously hasn’t lived the life, has clearly moved away from his old elusive style and could well be on the slide. 2 tough fights with Wilder, Knocked down 6 times in his career and cut badly against Wallin. We’re certainly not going to see better versions of either of them now... saying that, I also thought Usyk was on the slide

Safin and Holler like this.
  8. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Theoretically, Fury should be old for his age. But he's 33 and is doing as well as could be expected for any normal 33. For someone who's abused his body, he's doing incredibly well. It's unprecedented. He really hasn't made the most of his career but I doubt he cares. He might care if he finds himself in a big fight and starts feeling the pace all of a sudden.

The knockdowns aren't going to age him much, though. It's not like he's been in bouts where he has taken tons of punishment. Wilder barely hit him across the 3 bouts, but when he did, he went down, although 2 of them he strangely barely touched Fury.

I reckon we definitely will see a better Fury than the last Wilder bout, but Fury clearly isn't going to get back to the shape and physicality he had in 2015. He has looked nowhere near as nimble, even in the first Wilder bout.