Isaac Cruz was much better than I expected

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Dec 5, 2021.

1. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    He was the undedog like Kambosos was versus Lopez. But he showed that he is no easy fight. Gotta love that against all odds. Tank came out second best in my opinion. He got his hand bust and body wrecked in the fight. Cruz could go fight tomorrow. Crazy!!

CST80 likes this.
  2. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I think most people wanted to see the underdog win again tonite, and Cruz put up a valiant effort, but he came up short. Ill tell you what though, and sig me on this. I think Cruz gives hell to any champion or anyone ranked inside the top 10 .

3. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Tank won the fight, Cruz won the night.

velagod and PIPO23 like this.
  4. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    He and Tank belong at 130. His style reminded so much of Joe Frazier it look so simple yet those hooks to the body is deadly and he knows how to cut off the ring. You can’t teach those skills..

5. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Well.... based on styles, he did exactly as well as I thought he would and I predicted he would. if anyone actually watched him beforehand and understood what they were seeing, they'd have realized it too. Tank has never reacted well to pressure, doesn't react well when he's hit clean, and when he gets caught along the ropes he tends to either hold or run. Well Isaac with that looping right hook of his and his left hook to the body, is great at fighting southpaws. Sure he's never faced a massive puncher, but he's fought several decent punchers. I've never seen him even remotely buzzed. His head movement, his chin and his ability to cut off the ring coupled with being able to smother his opponents and keep them from getting full extension and therefore maximum impact on their best shots, if he was always going to be a nightmare for The Stank One.

Serge likes this.
  6. Caliboxing

Caliboxing Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Yea, I was very impressed with Cruz' ability to execute his game plan (even when the opponent adjusted) and overall ability to perfect his craft based on his natural gifts or stature. He protects his chin and body and may still be learning and improving. If he adds some angles, feigns and punch disguising variation like ala Canelo, he'd be even tougher to deal with at that weight. He's also quick footed enough to close distance even on fairly fast movers. Lastly, he's hard headed and makes you the hit top of the head keeping his chin down which could be like Kryptonite to some fighters that have weak hands or shoulders. I'm a fan, and want to see him against some of the top fighters if they duck each other.

7. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    I didnt watch the fight... so stupid question here.

I heard Tank messed up his hand in the 6th round.

Was this a case of one guy making a fight that would have been fairly one sided, competitive, because his opponent fought with one hand?

Or was it apparent even before Tank hurt his hand that Cruz was making it tough.

I like that Cruz is getting praise tonight, Im just wondering how much of this outcome had to do with Tank potentially having a broken hand though.

8. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Very apparent.... from the opening round.

kirk likes this.
  9. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Thank you.

So to you, is Cruz now in the mix with the other names in the division? He a legit threat?

I like what I see in the clips Im seeing but need to see a whole fight, which I might do later this week if I get time.

10. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    I said he was going to give Tank absolute hell before the fight, and actually picked him in the league based on styles. Even though I was pretty sure his chin was rock solid, that's the only thing I was unsure of for him at the top level. Well he came through with flying colors, he was never even visibly fazed or buckled. So as far as teh mix goes, yeah.... he very much is.

kirk likes this.
  11. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    There were moments where Cruz reminded me of the Cus D'Amato peek-a-boo style. I can tell he took some inspirations from Mike Tyson. But as mentioned it seemed like he fights only one way, which was why Tank edged him when he decided to stick and move and pick his shots.