It was a good Joshua performance; not a good boxing performance.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Komaster, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Komaster

Komaster Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Let's come back from space for a second. Anthony Joshua just out boxed (but by no means put on a clinic) against a tiny, plodding Ruiz whom he'd already seen for half a fight beforehand; so let's throw out any claims of him being the paragon of real-time adjustment. And juxtaposing the two performances - it's not hard to see why the praise is overly profuse. But let's be real. It was a 101 game plan that; if it didn't result in a win, would only have to garner (and rightly so) immense criticism. He jabbed and moved. That is all. Against a 6'1 boxer. As stated before; he'd seen for half a fight already. With a mega million-dollar machine backing him all the way.

But boxing purists would have to not be satiated. Where were the combinations? Did Ruiz's head snap back from a lovely right hand set up by a feign to the body. Or was there a sweet left hook setup by a feign with the straight right. There was literally a count-on-one-hand amount of anything resembling skill; in fact I'd expect more respectable post-basic-fundamental stuff from Hughie Fury if he were to fight Ruiz. For me this changes nothing, and I still consider this an average-at-best performance from a boxing perspective. It was in fact simply a very tentative performance by a very limited, physically gifted individual who fought with such trepidation in the ring not in fear of being knocked out; but one in fear of not being able to win. Winning meant jab and move. Joshua was fearful of not being able to do that. Add to that, he was still being hit to the body numerous times and had moments when his ungainly in-the-pocket baby-giraffe-routine explicitly shone through. Ruiz was simply too unorganised to capitalise; although he did have some success. Joshua poked his tongue out a few times to confirm this.

A good boxing performance would entail dismantling the tiny Ruiz and showcasing something more than the paltry amount he displayed. A snapping combination here and there would raise the mark to slightly about a C-. And paltry is in fact generous. Joshua seemed completely inept in landing a telling shot against an opponent that wasn't hurt, cowering or staggered - through the use of real-time psychology, fakes, mind games (and other words in boxing parlance that means they are above sh*t.) I just feel the boxing I.Q in this individual was so severely lacking in any way shape or form and I simply don't feel in any way impressed with this performance.

Joshua did not dare to be great; he simply wanted revenge in front of his ingratiated oil magnates (Let's not forget the delightful shrilling of the Saudi crowd every time Joshua landed anything more than a glancing blow which probably influenced even the most hardened claimers of being ''objectively minded''. He wanted to prove he could beat a guy, (which he did but not by much) with a run-of-the-mill jab and minimal bouts of appendage ungainliness. Which he failed in the latter on numerous occasions. Let's not mention the few times he held on to Ruiz, only to complain about punching whilst holding (which isn't punching on the break, although some were borderline).

I'd give this performance an A- for Joshua and a C - if an A was for a perfect boxer's performance by a 6"6 athlete with literally everything at his dispense leading up to the fight.

john roberts, Potato80, CST80 and 6 others like this.
  2. DanielDimov

DanielDimov Jabbing all night Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I like the name of the thread. It absolutely sums it up! Joshua did a good performance for his standards and did what he had to do.

3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    His movement was fast for his size, Bruno couldn`t have moved away from Ruiz like that.

reckless likes this.
  4. DanielDimov

DanielDimov Jabbing all night Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    What size dude, he lost so much weight. He was almost weighting the same as Usyk :D

CST80 likes this.
  5. Jacko

Jacko Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Good Post, but, isn't that how most people have seen it, judging from the majority of posts on here? OK, there have been the few 'He put on a clincic' posts. But, most just saw it like you did; he made the necessary adjustments and did what he had to do, albeit, in a simplistic, workmanlike, less than exciting way.

Still, nice post, Komaster.

6. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    I wonder how many who agree with this stated Fury put on a clinic against Wilder...by landing about 15 more shots. Did he dare to be great. Just an analogy to see if we all use the same vetting process for all fighters, or do we raise the bar for one and lower it for others.

4 the record...I am just using a standard vetting proces, not disagreeing rather testing myself...if I use this statement and agre.,...does that mean I should have said the same of Winky Wright vs Tito Trinidad? Dig this!
    Trinidad landed about 58 of 557 10% connect rate---well I ask myself what caused that? According to CompuBox statistics. Wright connected on 185 jabs. That is my best example of how to win with Jab & move. No combinations, no bricks or haymakers, meaning I would say AJ did to Ruiz what Winky did to Tito..won by sticking and moving. Against a no one, that isnt too good, but when U beat a top contender that way IMO...that's a special feat.

Good question. Not sure how many HW champs in the past 10-20 years can be attributed with wins based on combination punching. It is a lost art for sure.

Curious as to some examples of HW's who you felt gave a good performance.

I agree. The issue for me is that we are in a era of mediocrity. When I see Fury, Wilder, AJ landing no more than a 100 shots in 12 rounds, they seem to have no clue -previous HW's who stepped up and fought bigger guys didn't give a damn. Tyson, Tua, Ibeabuchi, Mercer, Bowe, Holyfield-these guys threw combos or punches in bunches...none club fighter style...those guys are my example of daring to be great. Making an opening when there isn't one. AJ was calculating. It paid off!

Sounds generous. BTW Good post !

7. edabomb

edabomb Active Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2011
    I see "stay humble" AJ is calling it a genius performance. Calm down buddy, "Einstein" Parker managed the same before you.

8. jm2729v

jm2729v Active Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2016
    I think disciplined is the best way to describe his performance. There were times where the Joshua of June 1st would have jumped in and gone for the kill and suffered from the counter attack. I was surprised more than anything.

9. Duscle

Duscle Member banned Full Member

Jun 15, 2019
    Not a good boxing performance? Who cares! AJ is there to win for himself - the record books and his bank balance are not going to have an asterix from our dear Komaster next to it.

In life you have to do enough to get the results. Its like those who bust their balls working for a company hoping to catch the eye of their (usually manipulative boss) and get praised only to be passed over for promotion for someone who does just enough.

Life is about doing enough and enough for you and only you not anyone else. Look how AJ screwed himself up when he wanted to put on a show for Americas. Welcome to the real world OP you still have a lot to learn about life :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    YearZero likes this.
  10. MR6666

MR6666 New Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    AJ done what was needed and got the win and fair play to him, Most of the forum is making excuses. Let's be honest here - This was not a boxing master class and nowhere near, Parker already gave the blueprint to deal with Ruiz style and how to nullify him which im sure Rob studied....

11. Duscle

Duscle Member banned Full Member

Jun 15, 2019

They have been saying it for years? We all have been saying stuff or having the same opinions fors year unitl they meet the reality of life. You only way people change is when they realise they have been wrong all along. Whats the quote about insanity and repeating the same thing over and over expecting a different result?

12. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ruiz is good at taking one to give one and Joshua knew it which is why he was smart enough to get out of range after landing a clean punch.

You can't stun Ruiz either , his chin is too good. He's like a wounded animal in the sense that he's at his most dangerous when being attacked.
    Joshua boxed smart , sensible and calculated. He followed through on his gameplan that was specifically designed for Andy Ruiz. He fought clean and within the rules.. It was a good boxing performance even if it was a boring one.

Palooka likes this.
  13. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Just watched it again. It weren't as dominant as I remembered watching last night. Ruiz was starting to catch up with Joshua later rounds. The fight was won in the early and mid rounds. But the longer the fight went on, you see the blob starting to get through with some of the exchanges. I really thought Joshua would have started slow, and then applied steady aggression through the later rounds. But it was the other way around. 237lbs was a drastic change. Still of the opinion that it was his tactics, and not his conditioning that made him lose the first fight. 245lbs is still his optimum weight. It was the short hooks that got him in trouble the first time around, an this fight he kept it long with the straight jab.

14. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Ruiz was able to get his hands free and hit to the body so it wasn't that bad. I thought Ruiz was scoring points actually during those moments. The clinching was there but it wasn't excessive. I don't think he was deserving of a warning either. Josh Taylor done a bit of holding and shoulder ramming against Regis too.. No bigge.

Unforgiven likes this.
  15. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    It was very good boxing peformance. As Chisora said AJ took away Ruiz double jab and it was game over. AJ moved and jabbed excellently, occasionally using the check hook following up with a powreful right (several of which that landed would have dropped any of ther HW in the divison).