Its been a few days now.... Tyson Fury's performance, was it historic?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by kirk, Dec 5, 2018.

1. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    historic in the same way Theresa May was for calling a snap election when she thought she was hands down winner, and then not winning it.

Slowhand likes this.
  2. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    What is historic bad impressions , or getting up after two knockdowns ? He was against wilder who was outboxed by many before, the only difference is Fury got up after getting knocked down.

OvidsExile and Heavy_Hitter like this.
  3. Gil Gonzalez

Gil Gonzalez Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jun 15, 2012
    So now a draw with Deontay Wilder is “historic”. This reminds me of when a draw with Manny Pacquiao made you the greatest Mexican fighter of all time.

Slowhand and Heavy_Hitter like this.
  4. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Fury can still make his come back historic if he defeats AJ.
    So far big George had a better comeback. Also, Vitaly Klitschko had a better comeback when he defeated Sam Peter and took his WBC belt after 4 years away from boxing.

OvidsExile likes this.
  5. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Going into the ring in chubby condition with a visible pot belly, getting knocked down and then getting a draw vs. a fighter that some boxing writers consider an average belt holder at best is not 'historic'.

6. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Fury who fought Pianeta could have beaten useless bum Sam Peter. Wilder is far more formidable and harder to beat than Peter.
    Vitali was also prime and fighting fit throughout all those years he was out. Furys comeback is greater. Came back from greater obstacles and fought a much better opponent.

7. Reppin501

Reppin501 The People's Champ Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    No it wasn't historic, but it was a good fight and the rematch should be a lot of fun.

Slowhand likes this.
  8. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Not overreacting at all, you are 100% accurate. A few things:

A. I think Fury's is one of the highest ring IQ HW's of all time. He is a chameleon. He adapts his style to his opponent. Wlad, much as I like him in most ways, was dreadfully negative, especially in most of his biggest fights. The dreadfully negative Fury Wlad fight was simply Fury reflecting Wlad's style in a way most suited to neutralizing him.

B. Along those lines, you hit the nail on the head in pointing out his raw ENERGY level. In the past, against other opponents where it made sense to be high volume, he was extremely high volume. At a historic rate for such a large HW. Against Wlad and Wilder, in different ways, it didn't make sense to be high volume. Just high energy. And he was.

C. I agree with you on the rematch. I always thought Fury was the best of the division, but that due to Wilder's awkwardness and length and power, Wilder made the worst style match up for him. The fight went almost exactly as I both hoped and feared it would. I think that showed everything about them against each other, and while I think/hope Fury as the better boxer adapts better and is more likely to win next time, Wilder's power could also end it at any time. I don't think that changes no matter how often they fight, and I'd rather see Fury put his stamp on the division against AJ.

D. You and @CST80 are the two mods that have always seemed to be the mods most rational about the H2H HW progression over the years. All tangible sports have seen their tangible records broken over the years. Usually by bigger and better athletes. (Occasionally by smaller and better athletes, the point, as a good Ted talk noted once, is increased body specialization in sports). While boxing has no such tangible, provable records as track, swimming, etc, the HW division has seen the same type of body specialization over the years. Wilder and Fury, a 6'7 lanky guy who hits like a freight train and a 6'8-9 guy who moves and thinks and has heart and chin like Ali, are the perfect embodiments of that. They will never match Ali Louis et al. in historical import or achievements, but in raw performance its entirely a different story. Its not generally a well liked reality, but this fight is a perfect encapsulation of that reality.

Clean & Crisp and CST80 like this.
  9. Heavy_Hitter

Jul 7, 2018
    A victory after 4 years away over a reigning WBC champ is better then a draw. Vitally dominated Peter and made him quit. Even though Fury won according to most the fight was competitive until the end.
    Also, Wilder is not better then prime Peter. Peter was a better boxer, had better chin and monstrous power.
    Vitally retired because of injuries and was in late 30s when he came back.

OvidsExile and madballster like this.
  10. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    Vitali was never truly out of the sport like Fury was. He never had to comeback from a 200lb weight gain like Fury did. He was ready to fight at any point during his layoff. The mountain Fury had to overcome during his comeback was more impressive.

Peter wasn't a reigning champ. He had just won the belt from a past prime Maskaev and lost it in his first defense. Wilder is a reigning champ.

Wilder is of course far better than Sam Peter. Before fighting Vitali ,Peter got outboxed by James Tony and right after the Vitali fight , he got outboxed by Eddie Chambers.
    Wilder stops both HW Toney and Eddie Chambers. Peter put in a laughably bad effort against Vitali. He was simply terrible. Contrast his performce with Derrick Chisora's.
    Fury rightfully said Chisora would be undertaking a suicide mission if he fought Wilder and Chisora is better than Peter

Wilder would to to Peters what he did to BS in the rematch. .Plodding forward with no head movement would get him slaughtered

11. Heavy_Hitter

Jul 7, 2018
    Most of the stuff you write is biased, and bunch of assumptions, like Wilder would do that Wilder would do this. Everybody who knows boxing a little knows that Wilder is very basic. He was outboxed by such m monsters as Shpilka and Washington. Peter would eat them for breakfast.

OvidsExile likes this.
  12. dinovelvet

Jul 21, 2012
    I know that you are biased and are a Klitschko nutgugger , which is why you elevate a bum like Peter over Wilder.

The stuff i write is based on facts , like the fact Peter was almost stopped by an overweight MaCline who took the fight on short notice.

If stiff cement footed MaCline can drop Peter 3 times in the early rounds while he had some fight in him , then its safe to say Wilder blows Peter away at any point he chooses to.

13. Heavy_Hitter

Jul 7, 2018
    You're just obsessed with Klitschko brothers, that's why you can't think clearly.

14. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    its not like hes even comeback from anything. Comeback from being lazy using mental illness as a get out card? Dont get me wrong we've all vegetated sometimes, but you'd never claim you were coming back from it.

Noone comes back from a break. its called a prolonged holiday, and all fury did with it is use it to pad his record with more bums.
    Not blaming him for not facing wlad again since we all know wlad runs in gibbering fear from repeated beatings.

15. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Both guys impressed me massively.

Wilder proved his power and Fury proved his skill.