It's been over a year since Eddie Hearn has put a non PPV World Title fight from the UK on Sky Sport

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by NasalSpray, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Nicksp1976

Nicksp1976 Member Full Member

Oct 17, 2017
    I think people look at PPV wrongly in my opinion and disagree with a lot of the events because they have to fork out extra money. Whether you think two fighters are the best or popular enough to be PPV is irrelevant. If promoters think they can make more money by putting fights on PPV then that is the sole reason why it will happen. I'm not blaming the likes of Matchroom or Warren for doing this because it's a business and every single person would do.exactly the same thing if they were in their shoes. It's just called supply and demand and if people want it then all fights will be PPV. If fans don't think they are not getting value for money then don't buy it but I guarantee most will still watch the events. I personally think £20 for PPV is not too bad. It's far less than USA and its roughly the same amount to watch a film at the cinema these days so I'm happy to pay. I'm sure most people will Call me a 'mug' but it's an individual's opinion on how much they pay just like anything else in life.

im sparticus likes this.
  2. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Nathan Gorman is Frank's next big hope for PPV in a stadium fight in 2019 - his words at the end of the Fury fight at Windsor Park
    Absolutely mate - the more PPV's the better.

Love it that Sky PPV and BT Sport PPV are going head to head to test PPV Mug brand loyalty.

All cards should be PPV and the charges should be at least £99.99 per card.

Hopefully we see more and more PPVs with the prices rising to US levels soon.

3. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Sky lost all their Tennis rights recently to Amazon so belt tightening is going on.

Matchroom’s deal with Sky for the “regular” domestic shows don’t command massive rights fees- in fact boxing on Sky costs about the same as wrestling per year.

4. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    They are just putting the the money elsewhere. They still spend big on football as with the new football league deal and they will get the champions league back.

Tennis for £10 mil a year is small fry for sky but they probably look at whether losing it effects subscriptions and I doubt it does.

That £8 mil not spent on tennis has probably just paid for the NBA rights they got.

5. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Do you follow a team in the rugby league, Jurgs?

6. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Mainly a TV fan mate but been to a few Saints matches - very tough sport particularly when you see some of the challenges live quite close up.

Twentyman likes this.
  7. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    I very rarely buy ppv and I've cancelled my sky because on both I don't, imo get value.
    Your right we do have a choice.
    If you want to spend the money then spend it.
    This is the way boxing is evolving nowadays.
    The small halls have evolved in this day and age. 20/30 year ago, the promoters used to sell the tickets now it's down to the fighters.

8. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Top man. It’s a brilliant sport. I watch it mainly on the telly now but used to follow Saints everywhere.

Jurgen likes this.
  9. Thorpe28

Thorpe28 New Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2018
    The thing I will struggle with is the the few sports I do watch/enjoy are stuck on all over the place!

Hardly watch any football now (Compared to multiple matches every weekend!)

Would be a dream to be able to watch Boxing/UFC/Tennis all on one platform but its looking like 4 and then you throw PPV on top

10. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    And this here is the reason we have ended up with all these PPVs. Absolute bull**** you are spouting. Why is it boxing that has to eat all these PPVs?

dryzer likes this.
  11. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Eubanks Snr was before his time when he said 'boxthing is a bithness' and he is correct - the sport of boxthing has evolved from those with the primary objective of achieving greatness in the ring at the earliest opportunity (eg Ali, Hagler and Prince Patel) to those with the primary objective of achieving financial greatness outside the ring (eg Haye, Bellew and Joshua types).

Never buy a PPV and feed those multi millionaire grubs - they don't need your money

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  12. Secret Service US

Secret Service US New Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2018
    In what way is it just £20 ?
    Why do you keep following the Eddie Hearn line of “hey look how much Americans have to pay”

Why don’t you add up the costs you moron. To watch all of Eddie Hearn’s Boxing output in the UK you have to pay £50 a month to Sky Sports. Then add in the six PPV’s he does every year. The price comes up to £720 roughly to watch all the boxing Matchroom and Sky do.

As is the case mugs don’t know when they get ripped off.

13. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Cracking post mate

14. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I generally go to the pub and nurse a pint all night to watch PPV. Cheap as chips.
    Might even have 2 pints as a treat.

2fast2fury likes this.
  15. 2fast2fury

2fast2fury Member Full Member

Jan 12, 2018
    I have complained about the previous Sky PPV and ITV PPV saying my stream cut. They both refunded me. Worth a go at least once.