It's official. Benn vs Eubank October 8th in London

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Scott Cork, Aug 9, 2022.

1. CST80

CST80 De Omnibus Dubitandum: Reject The New Normal Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The best way this war between two obnoxious, smug, pampered, spoiled rotten, entitled, rich, overrated ,bang on average, despicable twat sons of two icons to end, would be a NC after a run in by working class son of a boxer Michael Hunter II, where he brutally mauls both of them, and knocks them right out of the ****ing ring.

Wizbit1013 and Oddone like this.
  2. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Fan-man landing on them could be the second runner up for best ending.

CST80 likes this.
  3. Koli55

Koli55 Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    This fight is already sold out, with higher ticket prices than normally on O2 boxing events.

4. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Money for dope, money for rope.

5. mark ant

mark ant Marciano used to dip below opponents waist line Full Member

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected

6. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I just have no idea how fights like this and Garcia vs Davis end up being so popular, despite their being very little relevance on the world scene.

With inflated ticket prices, this was still one of the quickest selling fights in history, and Americans tell me Garcia vs Davis would be a similar story.

Mental stuff.

7. mark ant

mark ant Marciano used to dip below opponents waist line Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Garcia and Davis are for more proven than Eubank and Benn, Garcia beat Cambell who was far better than anyone Eubank and Benn have beaten and Davis has held multiple
    , including the
    title since 2019; the
    title in 2017; the WBA (Super) super featherweight title twice between 2018 and 2021; and the WBA (Regular)
    in 2021.

8. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    My point is, all 4 are just mere contenders in the division they compete in. None are seen as the divisional champions. Davis has 2 paper titles, but no one considers him a LW champion, everyone knows that man is Haney.

Usually fights of this magnitude involve atleast 1 person who's considered the best in the division. Or failing that atleast 1 person who holds a world title.

It just shows how boxing is devolving.

9. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    This fight would’ve sold out with tickets at pretty much any price. If on Sky it would blow all PPV numbers off the side of the universe. It’s unbelievable how many people in their 40s/50s are talking about this (in actual real life).

10. OneShot

OneShot New Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2016
    What do you mean by relevance on the world scene?

11. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    The winner of either fight will not be the best in their division, nor will they be the outstanding contender for the champion to face.

The winners will be recognisable names and can probably push for a world championship shot next, as long as they don't pretend they're the a side. But that's what I'm saying about the devolution of boxing, these fights being huge and neither will even crown a top 2 ranking.

Fergy likes this.
  12. OneShot

Oct 28, 2016
    Do you only enjoy boxing if it's people who are the best in the division?

Ignoring that a little, boxing has gone through a devolution with every new belt that was created. It's got to a point where rankings mean nothing anyway. This is one of the reasons MMA has pulled ahead.

With this fight there are two people that want a scrap, with a lot of history, ego and bragging rights on the line, both taking risks to make the fight happen. They are usually the best fights to watch and where fans are most invested in their guy beating the other guy.

Domestic dust ups are often just as entertaining as title fights.

Mr Applebee likes this.
  13. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    And tragic.

The original Eubank-Benn was a cleverly marketed rivalry, but a distinctly organic and sportingly meaningful one at its essence. The characters were complex, unrepeatable originals, the shared championship caliber clearly apparent, the tensions between them wholly authentic.

This is a hollow farce of a redux, a tawdry, sportingly nonsensical franchising of a unique moment three decades past, which predicates entirely on a superannuated Gen X's sad need for cheaply nostalgic affirmation of its existence and an undiscerning, click-crazed Gen Y and Z's susceptibility to the most artless and base promotional flimflam. There is nothing of substance here. Nothing. At all.

The inevitable commercial success of this event serves as a fine illustration of how dumbed-down the British public have become.

14. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I enjoy domestic dust ups far more than world boxing, however this is a PPV fight.

If I'm going to pay for boxing, I want it to be boxing at the highest level.

This a fight between the guy ranked 6 at MW vs the guy ranked 9 at WW. For me that's not ppv.

However, with the way boxing is atm, the fight sold out quickly and the ppv will probably be a success, hence why I said its about the devolution of boxing. No title pictures will be any different after this fight. Don't even know if we'll see anyone move into the top 5 of the division.

15. OneShot

Oct 28, 2016
    Honestly, I'd rather this be a PPV than some of the title fights, especially when based on dodgy rankings. This is more of a PPV than AJ vs Charles Martin for example.