Izu Ugunoh the best Polish heavyweight prospect since Andrew Golota?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by GGGunbeatable, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Yeah, people waffling on about "Polish identity" and "Polish culture" probably don't know sh!t about what they are talking about.
    In fact, they do know, and we all know, they are talking about skin colour.

Surely, the most primary parts of "Polish identity" would be:
    1. The geographical area known as Poland.
    and
    2. The Polish language.

If someone is born and raised in Poland, and speaks Polish, then I think anyone rational would see that's some solid Polishness right there.

If he was white and his grandparents or parents were from elsewhere these racists wouldn't have zip to say about it.

2. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    The guy considers himself Polish, the state of Poland consideres him Polish, yet him being called Polish bugs some people. Strange.

Rubber Glove Sandwich likes this.
  3. chitownfightfan

chitownfightfan VIP Member Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Best ever American HW would be Joe Hipp.

And I guess George Tadoonipa would be the p4p best American fighter today.

Unforgiven likes this.
  4. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Birth name is Johannes Gabriel Badou Nyberg and he was born and raised in Sweden to a black Gambian father and a white Swedish mother. Are you saying he's ******ed that he should regard himself as Swedish? That he should just pretend that anyone from his mothers side of the family doesn't exist?

5. chitownfightfan

chitownfightfan VIP Member Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Even if his mother was black, he's still a swede.

OMFG.........what is it with ppls hangup on skin colour in this place.

Jacks' a swede.
    Oscar's an American. Sergio's an Argentine. Cotto's a Puerto Rican while Danny is an American.
    Floyd is an American. He aint a G/D nigerian or whereever his fmailies roots are from.

Ken Ashcroft likes this.
  6. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    There are melting pot countries where nationality is all that matters, the US and the UK are kind of like that, but then there's countries where the ethnicity and the nationality are one in the same, like for example Turkey, sure there's a few ethnic minorities there like the Kurds, Albanians and Arabs, but the population is overwhelmingly Turkish, as in that's their ethnicity and nationality, so when an American is born there or moves there, no one in Turkey genuinely feels like that person is 100% Turkish.

Just because this is Poland we're talking about, an overwhelmingly white Slavic country everybody gets all sensitive and starts making accusations of racism, but would the same people be complaining if say Artur Szpilka was born in China and billed himself as a Chinese fighter, when NO ONE on planet earth would go along with that? And would be vocal about it.

Ugonah is not and will never be Polish, just like Szpilka is not and will never be Chinese, just like I will never be Thai, and you will never be Mongolian.

There's nothing racist about that, that's just a fact.

covetousjuice and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  7. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    There's truth to both sides of the argument. But it's trivial here. That's a debate for elsewhere. Here we discuss the sweet science, and to my eyes Ugunoh is a very good HW prospect.

theanatolian likes this.
  8. theanatolian

May 2, 2015
    Well, maybe I look at it on a narrower perspective, but a Poland born guy who represented Poland in international areas who considered himself a "Proud Polish", that's enough for me to consider him as one.

An example, a Brazilian football player Marco Aurelio(http://www.hursertekinoktay.com.tr/wp-content/uploads//2010/08/marco-aurelio-bjk.jpg), took Turkish citizenship after playing here 5 years, played for the national team, called himself a "proud Turkish", so we were happy to accept him as one of us.

To quote the war veteran and the founder of Republic of Turkey Atatürk:

"Whoever tied with the Republic of Turkey with the citizenship bond is a Turk."

CST80 likes this.
  9. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I get that entirely, and agree, its good to fully accept foreigners, but you know that you're just accepting him as a proud Turkish citizen, but don't really think of him as an actual ethnic Turk, that's all that most of the people on here are getting at, sure some may be racially motivated, but a lot of the criticism is not, like UTF said, both sides have a point.

theanatolian likes this.
  10. theanatolian

May 2, 2015
    I think people who threw in the R word were referring to the guy who claimed It was ******ed to call Badou Jack Swedish, not you.

CST80 likes this.
  11. covetousjuice

covetousjuice Putin did nothing wrong Full Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Well, I am indeed racist. I don't apologize for that. Races are behaviorally, genetically, and culturally distinct. You need only to look at African American versus White American culture.

There's a reason Amir Khan wanted to represent Pakistan in the Olympics, people.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  12. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    He is a mulatto. 50/50 white/black.

Born and raised in Sweden.

Thus more Swedish than Gambian.

13. Ian Huntley

Ian Huntley New Member banned Full Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Not really difficult is it being that all the other Polish heavyweights are crap enough to be Wilder opponents.

14. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    If Szpillka was born, reared in China and spoke Mandarin, I don't anyone would think twice about calling him Chinese.

Sorry, but you don't get to decide if Igunoh is Polish.
    He says he is.
    The state of Poland says he is.
    Other peoples opinions are basically irrelevant in the matter

15. superman1692

superman1692 Active Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Yes because all white americans act the same, and all african americans act the same don't they? You complete idiot.

Rubber Glove Sandwich likes this.