JAB SPARRING critique

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by mtotheg93, Apr 20, 2013.

1. mtotheg93

mtotheg93 New Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2012
    This content is protected

so yea just started learning.

alot of things to work on i see, feet's all over the place and i notice i do the bow and arrow.

i want to make my jab effective, any tips and critique is welcome. be harsh

2. mtotheg93

mtotheg93 New Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2012
  3. 123ko

123ko Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2012
    this drill is for ,,single,,double,,triple jabs

Boxer 1 ---single jab
    Boxer 2 ---parry with back hand

Boxer 1 ---double jab
    Boxer 2 ---parry,,slap down with back hand

Boxer 1 ---triple jab
    Boxer 2 ---Parry,, slap down,,catch with back hand

do a round then change over

boxer 2 doesn't move he stands his ground ,,there is no step-ins ,throw the jabs like you mean it & to the chin NOT the back hand
    if you can hit him is defense will improve when got used to the drill

this is a simple drill for a beginner,,,try to use the same partner for the drill ,,you will then see the benefits against others

4. BlackWolf

BlackWolf New Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Im a beginner ass well but i picked up a lot of great things watching fights and sparring. When you jab, keep your rear hand up and try to keep your stance CENTERED (this means that you keep your head from falling forward or backwards). Reason being is because whenever he jabs, you tilt backwards, youre off balance big time and its hard to counter back. When he jabs, dont take your footwork as an immediate defensive option, then you might leave the possible counter opportunities. Now i am not telling you to PLANT your feet but use subtle movement to stay clear from his jab. The best way to do this is to circle him and not go forward and backwards. Start learning catching techniques with the rear hand and the lead hand, that way you can catch and jab back whenever he comes with his jab. Watch Thomas Hearns sparring, its a good slow pace to watch how he picks shots off.

5. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Your reaching too much and dropping your right hand - also your jab D is not on point

6. DS-Southpaw

DS-Southpaw New Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Assuming you are the guy in the blue shirt (not gloves and headgear).

Seems like you step in with every jab while dropping your right and the same speed every time, this makes you very easy to time. Do this against a decent (not even a good) counter-puncher and you'll be eating leather all day.

A few tips:
    1. More head/body movement to make you harder to time.
    Keep moving your body when you're JUST out of range in a rhythm. Change your rhythm up and punch in your rhythm. I try to think of Mike Tyson with his constant bobbing and weaving (I don't do it as dramatically as he did though) to keep my body moving.

2. Move your head while you jab.
    Simple, stand less upright and move your head either up, down, left, right while you jab so it's harder for him to counter with his own jab.

3. Feint!
    Never seen you do this once! Feint the jab and analyze what he does. If he moves his head to his left EVERY time you feint you just aim there to hit him :)

4. Don't step/jump in with EVERY jab. Only do this when you see an opening so you can land a stiff jab. Jabs don't have to hurt the opponent, you can use it to keep his mind occupied on defending your jab or even by blocking his vision.

5. Parry his jabs!
    He turned southpaw after the first 1/4th of the video. Your reaction seemed to be to shell up. Especially against a southpaw you can leave your lead hand out a bit, slap it down when he throws his jab and jab him back.
    Check out this video (and just reverse it to work against a southpaw)

Most of these things your trainer(s) will teach you anyways or will even come naturally when you spar more. Good luck, mate :)

7. khyuma

khyuma New Member Full Member

May 1, 2013
    work on your footwork, a lot of times your stepping with your heel first. You should be almost sliding the front foot when moving forward, this will keep you grounded and give your jab much more power.

8. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    I agree with the above 2 posters - stepping in WHILE jabbing is not always necessary and if you need to step in to jab - make sure both feet are on the ground when you jab, not mid step.
    There will be a noticeable difference in speed and impact.

Step THEN jab.

Don't jab mid-step.

9. auto boxer

auto boxer New Member Full Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Basically agree with everyone's posting. You not only drop your right when you jab, but also drop your jab after it extends with a very slow return to guard.

Your opponent gives great opportunities to pick his openings and you're not taking them.

Come in with that right of yours, too.

Now, back to eating my huge burger with fries as I sit in my easy chair. :yep